Marauders Logo Concept

This college, part of the Dakota Athletic Conference (same as my Comets concept) is the University of Mary. Silly name, yes, but I thought I could do something interesting with a name like the Marauders. They currently have a pirate theme going on, so I tried to build on that, and make it more intimidating with the skeleton pirate.

I know I have some issues, like the background flags, and some irregular shapes in the chest area, but this is more like a first draft to get some first impressions and comments.

In the maritime spirit, here ye be:

marauderspng.png

I love the logo/design, but I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, more specifically the orange. I'm not sure if just changing the orange to another color would work...maybe it needs a complete recoloring. But like I said, the actual design is great.

i dont know, there really isnt any action in the logo, know what i mean? hes just staring off at the viewer. he should be charging or something like that. it would make it more dynamic.

as far as the colors, they dont need changed. flags can be gotten rid of, and the wordmark can be made less cartoony. just smooth out the guy, and you are golden.

I will assume that the pirate and flags will be cleaned up and looking sharp next time around. My suggestion is not with those, but with the font choices. Right now "Marauders" is 1950s horror movie, when a different font may work better. There are lots of fonts with "crags" that might do the trick, or find a good look then add a few crags yourself. For the University of Mary- I think that font is close to what it needs to be. For time, concentrate on the Marauders.

The University of Mary, originally called Mary College, was an all-female college founded by Catholic nuns. The school went coed in 1969. In bringing men into the school, the college added athletics.

The college wanted a fierce-sounding name and also found some alliteration by way of Mary Marauders. They also chose a pirate theme to go with that masculinity. That's the way it's been, since 1969.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I needed. I was trying to get some sort of action in it, but all I kept thinking was the same old stuff, "guy with sword," "guy swinging on something," that sort of thing, so I thought, skeleton pirate may be different enough to get away with not much action, and I put the flags in the background to get some type of movement in it.

Let me see what I can come up with though. And, I see what you mean about the font. I was going for a sword-slashed-zorro- thing here.

Thanks for the comments, and I'll keep working on this.

lbnc - the concept seems a bit "flat" to me - i'm not sure HOW you could add some depth to it, but it just seems flat - i think you should try to keep the flags for the movement that they provide, but they need some work - i don't think that the pirate needs to be swinging a sword or something of that nature...it's a bit overdone, to me - i'm with some of the others on your marauders wordmark...it's a bit cartoonish, but this is a great start

i was on the dac-10 website, and i agree that this conference is a mess...especially their website - the only half-way decent logo's i saw were the si tanka (sp?) screaming eagles logo (although that was WAY too busy) and the comets logo (although i think yours is better) - good luck with this project...you can't go anywhere but up for these schools!

jldesigns404eo.png

If you want some action in the logo, what if the skeleton had his boney hands on a ship's wheel? It would be much less generic than a sword. Make his clothes a little more tatered and wind-blown and you have action without the obvious.

I like your Mauraders Logo - very nicely done - simple & clean.

I like the updated version best !!! :D

Here's a sample of work from one of our CC Board members - I think Nitro did this version of the Mutiny.

hN626524.jpg

This is the Long Beach Baseball team: Just a reference for holding the ship's wheel

y2Q26456.gif

Here is a pix of their current MAURADER logo taken from the Athletic Website

ACf26599.jpg

Here are their FB Unis - blah :blink:

0Qn26775.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Quick update...I went with some of the suggestions, and I think it has helped very much. There is still a lot I can do to simplify it, but it's late, and I'm going to look at it in the morning. The wordmark is off a little bit at the top where it intersects with the logo, but that can easily be fixed when I'm not tired.

anyways...

marauders3.png

this revision is really fantasic, great work man

some suggestions:

i'd simplify the wheel handles (sike, i tried this myself, its not the solution ^_^ ), that may help take away some business being generated, also the sleleton's left arm (viewer's right) seem a little off in the shadows, maybe extending it out to make the elbow look visible. to me right now it looks like he has ribs and a hand.

i might try and illustrate this out to help explain, but then again im really tired too.

good stuff, keep it up

EDIT i did it, along with some other minor things, if you want this taken down just say the word

ncedit.gif

I really liked the flags over the should of your man - maybe it makes the logo look too busy - however that's what I think. It's coming along great! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

:notworthy:

Wow, GMS, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch, I struggled with that left arm for a while, and just couldn't get the placement right, and the angle was off, but your solution fixed it.

Let me go make those changes and see what I can do to fix the wordmark, which I think for some reason is still a little "off."

:notworthy:

Wow, GMS, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch, I struggled with that left arm for a while, and just couldn't get the placement right, and the angle was off, but your solution fixed it.

Let me go make those changes and see what I can do to fix the wordmark, which I think for some reason is still a little "off."

have you tried making a custom font to make the wordmark? this one looks like 50's horror movie to me still. i've been experimenting with custom fonts lately in some upcoming designs and while it might be a pain, i think it helps set it off from the pack, if ya know what i mean.

Wordmarks are my biggest problem (obviously). I have a hard time trying to come up with one that fits the logo, and one that is unique and isn't overused. And I know that sometimes, a bad font choice can really detract from the overall quality of the logo, it's just the most trying part of the process for me. I'll give the custom font thing a try, (ever done it). :blink:

Do I just draw letters, or use a pre-existing font as a template? I guess I'm asking, do you know of a good way to start?

Archived