New expos locations?

CDunn

I was reading in the paper about the possible movement of the Expos.  It said the tops three contenders are Portland(OR), D.C., and Northern Virginia.  I understand Portland and D.C., but what Northern Virginian city is large enough for an MLB team?  I don't really know my Virginia geography, but I can't think of a major major city.  The paper just called them Northern Viriginia, no city named.  

It sounded like D.C. would get it if the Expos move.

Norther Virginia is across the Potomac from DC.  NoVA is basically a DC suburb.  A substantial number of people commute from NoVA to DC to work.  So when they're considering metropolitan areas as possible relocation sites, the DC and NoVA populations overlap.

The question is where exactly to put the stadium.  It's a matter of civic pride, basically.  DC and VA have different governments and cultures.  DC has a significant black population and about 80% of DC residents registered to vote are Democratic.  NoVA tends to be much more white, conservative and Republican -- note that the Pentagon is located in NoVA.

Anyway, despite the fact that they're part of the same metropolitan area, DC and NoVA see themselves as different politically and culturally.  And each wants the honor of having the stadium located in their territory.  I'm a former DC resident, which, in conjunction w/ my belief that ballparks belong in downtown areas, leads me to favor DC as the future home of les Expos.

The future home of the Expos will be Montreal.  MLB is going to let this situation languish because if they can't even run an All Star Game right, they sure as heck aren't going to be able to execute a franchise move in time for the 2004 season to be scheduled.  My guess is that the Expos won't move until 2005 or 2006.

I don't like the idea of teams just packing up and leaving like that! It seems very unfair on the Montreal fans!

Having said that it would be good to see baseball return to Washington, maybe a return to the Senators?? This would soften the blow as the old Senators upped and left for Texas!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Keeping the Expos in Montreal would be a travesty and would help keep MLB a joke...

If anyplace other than DC gets the team, it will be a travesty. DC needs that team. It's a major market. It's better than Portland, NoVA, or Puerto Rico, if they even are considering that anymore.

When the 1994 strike took place, that is when the Montreal Expos died. Move 'em to DC, and give rise to the Senators once again, and let's get baseball moving along a right path, instead of the wrong path it has been on over the last 25 years.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

What Montreal fans?

There's plenty of baseball fans in Montreal, they just hate the MLB and Olympic Stadium... you don't sell out on opening day every year and not have any fans.

Look at the Mtl Alouettes, they played in front of 3,000 fans a game while they were at Olympic Stadium, they move to McGill Stadium and instantly sell out every game since, with long waiting lists (since 1997)

Go to Olympic Stadium, you'll see why there's no fans.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

J. Quincy King Posted on July 10 2003,15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping the Expos in Montreal would be a travesty and would help keep MLB a joke...

If anyplace other than DC gets the team, it will be a travesty. DC needs that team. It's a major market. It's better than Portland, NoVA, or Puerto Rico, if they even are considering that anymore.

When the 1994 strike took place, that is when the Montreal Expos died. Move 'em to DC, and give rise to the Senators once again, and let's get baseball moving along a right path, instead of the wrong path it has been on over the last 25 years. QUOTE]

Does anyone think that the team will not survive in DC? I can't see how considering the Senators have come and gone and come and gone again ??? Washington does not need another baseball team, what they need are cops more that can control the crime in the city and honest politicians (which is of course and oxymoron :D )

I saw, I came, I left.

Look at Nassau Coliseum. It's the Olympic Stadium of the arena world. And when the islanders sucks, not a soul could be found in that Mausolieum, but they start getting better? Poof, the place starts filling seats. Sellouts? Only for Ranger/Devil/Flyer games, but even for other games, they were getting 12-13 thousand, when they would only get 4 to 5 thousand in the late 90's.

The Expos have no one in that stadium because the product sucks, and it's sucked for so long, they don't care. They say it's olympic Stadium, and i'm sure it plays a part, but it is not the main reason.

And both DC moves weren't because of no fan support, it was because of dumb fu*king owners.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

What Montreal fans?

There's plenty of baseball fans in Montreal, they just hate the MLB and Olympic Stadium... you don't sell out on opening day every year and not have any fans.

Look at the Mtl Alouettes, they played in front of 3,000 fans a game while they were at Olympic Stadium, they move to McGill Stadium and instantly sell out every game since, with long waiting lists (since 1997)

Go to Olympic Stadium, you'll see why there's no fans.

Every Montrealer I've ever met says that exact same thing. I've personally never been to Olympic Stadium, but I have heard enough stories to know it's not for lack of baseball fans in Montreal.

Montreal has a great baseball history, especially with the Jackie Robinson story. It'd be a shame to see the Expos leave.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

"Northern Virginia," as I've read it, refers almost exclusively to Arlington - just across the Potomac as Amare referred to. Also, I *think*, just outside the 75-mile radius that is the Baltimore O's territory...

Let me tell you, living  in DC it was aggravating to no end being told by Peter Angelos and the O's: "You are our territory!  You cannot have your own baseball team!"

We were told to suffer w/ their crappy product -- and to like it!  DC is ready for a revolution, to cast off the Oriole tyrrany.  Vive la revolution!

And both DC moves weren't because of no fan support, it was because of dumb fu*king owners.

I agree and disagree. I agree that bad ownership contributed to the general non-competitiveness of both versions of the 'Nats, however at the time each of the teams moved, there were still a number of large metro areas unrepresented by MLB teams -- in these cases, the Twin Cities and Dallas, therefore moving the teams at that time were good business decisions. So they may have been less-than-stellar owners but I wouldn't call them dumb.

Does anyone think that the team will not survive in DC? I can't see how considering the Senators have come and gone and come and gone again ??? Washington does not need another baseball team, what they need are cops more that can control the crime in the city and honest politicians (which is of course and oxymoron :D )

1.  Baseball economics and DC demographics have changed more than a li'l since 1972.  It's a totally different world.  Analysts have done multiple studies demonstrating that DC/NoVA have the combined wealth, media presence and fan interest to support major league baseball.

2.  DC has crime, like any big city.  But this notion that DC is riddled w/ crime and corruption is way, way off base.  It's a myth perpetuated by TV shows like "The District."  By exercising a li'l common sense and street smarts, I felt very safe in DC.

amare32 Posted on July 10 2003,15:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (quadival @ July 10 2003,15:09)

Does anyone think that the team will not survive in DC? I can't see how considering the Senators have come and gone and come and gone again   Washington does not need another baseball team, what they need are cops more that can control the crime in the city and honest politicians (which is of course and oxymoron  )

1.  Baseball economics and DC demographics have changed more than a li'l since 1972.  It's a totally different world.  Analysts have done multiple studies demonstrating that DC/NoVA have the combined wealth, media presence and fan interest to support major league baseball.

2.  DC has crime, like any big city.  But this notion that DC is riddled w/ crime and corruption is way, way off base.  It's a myth perpetuated by TV shows like "The District."  By exercising a li'l common sense and street smarts, I felt very safe in DC.

Well I just wrote two things that just popped out my head. I've been to more dangerous cities than Washington even though I have never been to Washington. It does take some common sense to be safe, like avoiding the known trouble spots such as the MCI center :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Well I just wrote two things that just popped out my head. I've been to more dangerous cities than Washington even though I have never been to Washington. It does take some common sense to be safe, like avoiding the known trouble spots such as the MCI center :D

Especially if you're a basketball fan.  Paying to see the Wizards play was the hoops equivalent of getting mugged.

issue 1: DC should have baseball. baseball is considered the "national pastime" and the fact that the capital of this nation has no team representing them in the national pastime is indeed shameful. Ottawa finally got the NHL eleven years ago after a long tenure without, so why cant DC have the MLB? of course, assuring a franchise's long term sucess in DC would require solid corporate sponsors, a new ballpark, and of course, a cometitive product.

issue 2: I do not doubt that there are plenty of great baseball fans in montreal. however if these fans truly do care about the sport and thier team then they should show it by filling the stands at olympic stadium. yes, we know, its a bad ballpark, but that shouldnt keep the fans away if they truly are baseball fans. the giants escaped moving to tampa because although candlestick park was a less then ideal place to play and watch baseball, we made an honest effort to keep attendance up given the conditions and eventually we were awarded with a consistenly competitive team and of course, a new ballpark that is near or at capacity for every home game.

that being said, its unfortunate for the fans in montreal that they could be losing thier team, but they have nobody to blame but themselves if they do. and seeing as how expansion would be an extremely foolish idea at this point, the only way DC could get the MLB team its citizens want and deserve is to relocate a fiscally struggling franchise there.

Archived