Illustrator Help

pcgd

Could someone give me a quick breakdown on adding an outline to logos in CS4, such as the logos off this site? I just can't seem to figure it out.

I don't have CS4, but I wouldn't think it's different from CS3.....

Click on whatever object you want outlined, then go up to Object>Path>Offset Path. Then, type in a size. Or, you could always just add a stroke in the colors palette, and then go to Object>Expand.

Hopefully that helps.

Okay, but say for example I wanted to outline the Colorado Avalanche primary logo from the site, but when I copy it into Illustrator its still a .gif file, so when I select it it doesn't select the image itself but rather the dimensions like this. What I'm trying to do is just added a white outline to the logo itself so for concepts its more correct rather than on the Avalanche home jersey the burgundy isn't touching the logo but there's a white outline separating the logo and the burgundy. Does that make any sense?

Hopefully I'm getting this right....

From what I've gathered, the logo you're using isn't vector, meaning it's a gif/jpeg/png rather than a eps or ai....is that right? If you need a vector file, I think I have it somewhere, then you can do the offset path thing I listed above.

Yeah it's still the original .gif from the website. Is there anyway to convert logos from the site into .ai format?

8prlQWA.png

Could someone give me a quick breakdown on adding an outline to logos in CS4, such as the logos off this site? I just can't seem to figure it out.

I don't have CS4, but I wouldn't think it's different from CS3.....

Click on whatever object you want outlined, then go up to Object>Path>Offset Path. Then, type in a size. Or, you could always just add a stroke in the colors palette, and then go to Object>Expand.

Hopefully that helps.

Okay, but say for example I wanted to outline the Colorado Avalanche primary logo from the site, but when I copy it into Illustrator its still a .gif file, so when I select it it doesn't select the image itself but rather the dimensions like this. What I'm trying to do is just added a white outline to the logo itself so for concepts its more correct rather than on the Avalanche home jersey the burgundy isn't touching the logo but there's a white outline separating the logo and the burgundy. Does that make any sense?

Hopefully I'm getting this right....

From what I've gathered, the logo you're using isn't vector, meaning it's a gif/jpeg/png rather than a eps or ai....is that right? If you need a vector file, I think I have it somewhere, then you can do the offset path thing I listed above.

Yeah it's still the original .gif from the website. Is there anyway to convert logos from the site into .ai format?

Livetrace should work, although I'm not a fan of it. Click on the image, then go to Object>LiveTrace>TracingOptions. Change it to color, rather than Black & White, and then click "Make". Then go to Object>LivePaint>Make. It's not 100% perfect, but it's decent. Then, use the direct select tool(hollow arrow) and delete the white background.

Or, rather than LiveTrace, you could trace it by hand with the pen tool. I know it takes longer, but it'll be more accurate if you take your time doing it.

Whichever way you choose, then do the offset path that I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully this'll help you out. And hopefully the menus are the same on CS4.

A problem I keep running into is when I select to outline it, everything gets outlined, rather than just the outer edges of the logo, which is what I want.

Oh, whoops, I forgot to mention about that. Direct select only the objects that are the outermost parts of the logo. I think in the Avalanche's case, it's just the blue part.

Thanks for all the help Shumway, but I still keep running into walls here. Now when I go to trace the logo again, it just disappears. And earlier when it wasn't disappearing, when I selected the blue part, it still outlined the snow inside of the logo.

8prlQWA.png

Thanks for all the help Shumway, but I still keep running into walls here. Now when I go to trace the logo again, it just disappears. And earlier when it wasn't disappearing, when I selected the blue part, it still outlined the snow inside of the logo.

Try sending the outline to the back.

Ok I'm back to the part where I converted the logo to LivePaint. Now when I select the blue, because the blue is part of the whole logo, it selects all of the blue. How do you just select the outer edges of the logo?

EDIT - I think I got it now. Thanks a bunch Shumway.

8prlQWA.png

Stupid question, but on Illustrator CS1, for some reason I'm not able to resize/rotate an object. It just comes up with all the solid blue points, with no surrounding box to edit the size, etc. I realize I can use the free transform tool, but that'd be a pain. It showed the resize box always before, but just recently stopped. How can I fix it?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

just an fyi from a previous post, CS4 is slightly different from CS3 or CS2 in the way it handles some functionality and in the menus, but for the most part is not a big departure from the previous versions. Main differences are highlighted at Adobe's website. The biggest departure for me has always been in Photoshop. They change :censored: around every time and I can never figure out how to do what I want from CS.

OD_Signature.jpg

Stupid question, but on Illustrator CS1, for some reason I'm not able to resize/rotate an object. It just comes up with all the solid blue points, with no surrounding box to edit the size, etc. I realize I can use the free transform tool, but that'd be a pain. It showed the resize box always before, but just recently stopped. How can I fix it?

That mess happened to you too? Good to see I ain't the only one who that done happened to. :D

(Look up a couple posts above yours and you'll my my similar episode.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I have an object outlined with a stroke, when I scale the object down the stroke weight wont scale down with it . I know there must be a setting that I can set to do this automatically, because it used to do it, but I can't remember where it is. Any help would be appreciated.

33H

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to go off topic, and I dont know if this has been discussed.. I don't have time to read 28 pages lol. But if I want to design logos is Illustrator really important or will I be fine with photoshop cs3? This is something I've been wanting to know for a long time. Help!!!

bullssig.png