Illustrator Help

pcgd

I have been using Illustrator forever, and now use CS3. I went to school for Graphic Design and all that, so asking this is really embarrassing, but I have never seen something happen so crazy before. I was creating a logo for a client in another time zone late last night and we finally decided on a finished product. I emailed him over an .ai file, an .eps file, and a transparent background .png file that was exported from the exact .ai and .eps files. I didn't really think it was a problem until I saw them all together in the email, but the .png was more...washed out or faded than the other files. The .ai and .eps files were crisp colors and the .png looked like it had been through the wash. It looked horrible. I thought maybe I was using the wrong "document color mode", so I tried changing that to CMYK and I had the same problem, so I reverted back to RGB. Then instead of using his RGB values for the company colors I used the Pantone values. Wouldn't you know it the same thing happened. I was at a loss for words. I have never seen something look so strikingly different when doing this. I know nothing about color profiles, or color settings, or proof colors, or anything that I tried to read about on the web. Could somebody please tell me where I went wrong? I would greatly appreciate it. And again, I went File>Export>logo.png from the original .ai file. Maybe there is a better way to do it? Thank you.

Have you tried opening your .ai or .eps file in Photoshop and saving it out as a .png that way?

Thank you very much, sir. That seems to work fine. Is this something that always happens with Illustrator, or did I do something wrong this time? Again, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

In a previous post (can't remember the thread), I posted a link to learning illustrator in 30 days. Well, here is a blog post I found that provides a collection of tutorials for learning illustrator as well.

aivault.com

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain to me how to do this:

I'm trying to draw three curves, but I want them all to be roughly the same thickness and line up perfectly.

So I guess kind of like this: ((( (Imagine those three were touching). I've been copying and parting one curve then manually adjusting and cutting it, but it's not the most convenient or accurate method.

Sorry if i'm a little bit confusing, but does anybody understand and know how to do this?

Thanks!

Can someone explain to me how to do this:

I'm trying to draw three curves, but I want them all to be roughly the same thickness and line up perfectly.

So I guess kind of like this: ((( (Imagine those three were touching). I've been copying and parting one curve then manually adjusting and cutting it, but it's not the most convenient or accurate method.

Sorry if i'm a little bit confusing, but does anybody understand and know how to do this?

Thanks!

Couldn't you have 3 straight(i.e. flat) lines/shapes, group them, then just arc(h) them? I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking.

Couldn't you have 3 straight(i.e. flat) lines/shapes, group them, then just arc(h) them? I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking.

Interesting idea, i'll try that.

What i'm trying to do is get the lines to look like this.

http://www.basketballex.com/Logos/BostonCe...uniform_new.png

Look at the shorts or even collars, they're the same width and arced the same way.

I think your idea might work, but I'm just wondering if there's a special type of offset or something to do this.

Thanks!

i would use ovals with outlines (or strokes) for the collar/sleeve trim and use the jersey shape to mask off the undesired areas. any other offsets or warps will taper the ends that i think you do not want.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

• 2 weeks later...

No it isn't. A pencil and some paper is. ^_^

No--seriously, it depends on what you can do with it. Some posters in this community can achieve high-quality work using the free vector program Inkscape. Others have even done so with basic Microsoft Paint. There are other programs out there, though, such as CorelDraw (I think that's Corel's vector program), and if Macromedia Freehand is still floating around out there, it's another vector program (though personally, I'd stay away from that one). No matter what it is you're using, though, attention to detail is probably the single biggest selling point.

Ultimately, the thing to remember is that all these different software programs are but tools used to help "refine" logos or whatever other designs you may come up with and bring them to "digital" life. Now granted, some people have the advanced skill to create sketches on these software programs and go from there to the finished product (how I don't know, but some do). But, the best place to start is right there on your drawing pad.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Alright got a question.

Sometimes I want to put a pattern/texture on one of my jerseys or shorts, to differentiate what part is mesh, etc (I've noticed you, Bucco, do this sometimes). There HAS to be an easier way to do it than what I've been doing. I just make a dot (or stripe), copy paste move it, copy paste move it, again and again about 100 times, it's a pain in the ass. Is there a way to maybe (I'm assuming you'd have to do it this way) draw a shape, and make the dots/stripes a pattern and just have that shape fill with it? Here's some pics to show what I mean...

pattern2.png

pattern.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

There's several ways you can do it. I can't remember how to do this (I got a tutorial somewhere on one of my computers, but I'm sure you can find one online), but I actually created a brush composed of a bunch of oval shapes. I then drew a brush pattern large enough to fill , say, a box or so, and saved it. I then took the shape of the mesh (take, for example, the front panel of a football jersey), put it over the brush pattern I created and made a clip mask out of it, and then moved that mask back over the part of the jersey I wanted to make look like mesh.

Hope that helps a little bit.

The other way, I suppose, would be to, like you said, do a step-and-repeat process. (There's actually a shortcut way to do that in Illy, but I haven't done it in so long I can't even remember where to tell you to start looking.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Is that the original logo? If not, post the original version.

If it is, about the only thing you gon' be able to do with that is actually redraw the letters, if you don't have whatever font that is. And even if you do, you'll have to convert the text to outliines in order to achieve the pointed edges going on with the letters there.