Photoshop Help

pcgd

how is the effect in this wallpaper achieved?

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/266...rdcorePoser.png

I mean the lighting effect around the central image. I have searched for tutorials but can't even think of what to call it to search for it properly. If somebody could point me towards a tutorial (either photoshop or illustrator), that would be awesome.

thanks.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is the effect in this wallpaper achieved?

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/266...rdcorePoser.png

I mean the lighting effect around the central image. I have searched for tutorials but can't even think of what to call it to search for it properly. If somebody could point me towards a tutorial (either photoshop or illustrator), that would be awesome.

thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

idealy illustrator.

you might be able to use the photoshop pen tool to create vectors but im not sure if you can save them as useful vector files

ai, eps, and pdf vectors.

photoshop is primarily a pixel (raster) program. i suspect you are just after the 'vector look' with smooth curves etc.

so just crack on with the pen tool and smart layers.

davidson is correct. you can use the pen tool to draw vector elements (paths) and export the paths to illustrator from photoshop, but you really need illy or corelDraw to get "useful vector ai,eps, or pdfs".

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

now i am a proud paint user but i feel that i am very limited with this program compared to others that are on this board. I have really wanted to upgrade to photoshop but I don't feel like shelling out $600 or whatever it is and i haven't been able to get it for free yet (believe me i've been trying). So now that i've got a little extra dough to throw around i am thinking of buying "Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 & Adobe Premiere Elements 4" from best buy. It is only 150 bucks and i really think that it has what im looking for. Everybody says that its pretty much photoshop without the more "advanced" features which i don't really know if i need. So basically what i am asking is if anybody currently has this program would you suggest me buying it or should i just keep trying to get photoshop?

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

No, you shouldn't. Believe me, I was convinced I was going to buy that package(for a better price LOL, 99 on Amazon) a while ago but I am glad I didn't. Elements programs are stripped down and not worth it at all. I mean they're easy to use and all, and would still be infinitely better than Paint which you could use for concepts and whatever, but they're not very high quality programs. But that's not why you shouldn't get them. I realized that the GIMP can do 99% of what Photoshop (the real one) can(I have used both) and it is free. It may take a little while to learn but it is the same as learning Photoshop for you since you haven't used either,so there is no disadvantage there. Know what I mean? It is certainly worth it. Plus, can't beat the price(OR feature set, with anything under $500). (Now it isn't that hard to get Photoshop free but I do not support or use illegal downloads). Definitely go with GIMP. Plus, as a filmmaker, I can tell you you shouldn't get Premiere elements either for a video solution. The program I use and recommend is Ulead VideoStudio 11(now 11.5). You can try the demo from Corel.com, it is around $85 on Amazon but I got a rebate on it a while ago. It has better reviews, works with more formats, and has more features than Premiere Elements. Take a look at this page. even if you get that PowerDirector or whatever that came in first(which I have never used and can't recommend) would be a lot better than PE. I love VS 11 and I don't regret it at all because it was the right decision. It has more than enough features than you will ever use(and they are all awesome), which is always a good thing in a program, especially for that price!

See? You get two superior Programs for half the price. It's up to you man, but trust me, I was in almost the exact same position as you when I decided to upgrade from paint, and this works for me beautifully. Do whatever you want but that seems like a good deal to me! :D

Hope I helped. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
This question has probably been asked more than a few times, but what the heck!

How can I arc letters/words like this:

MinnesotaWildLogo.gif

Thanks!

That's actually text on a path.

Draw a circle with the shape tool. Use the Text On A Path tool. Click on the ellipse. Type text. Voila!

• 2 months later...

Archived