Ot: nhl heritage classic

nitroseed

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the southern cities, no, but in the northern cities (i.e. Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Detroit, Boston, NYC), it would definitely be a possibility. Heck, 75,000 fans filled Spartan Stadium last year for the hockey game between Michigan and Michigan State...

Well, in Minneapolis there is the metrodome, and I don't think theres a stadium in St. Paul. Detroit there's Ford field which is a dome. I don't know how an outdoor game in Chicago or Boston would do. I do know that they would not fill Giants Stadium for a Devils- Rangers game.

no body has mentioned this:  What if it rains???  The ice would need to be fixed and you couldn't hold a hockey game in the rain.  Anybody who has played hockey after the Zamboni put down a lot of water that hasn't frozen yet knows why:  The puck doesn't move because it's stuck in water, it's hard to skate, and you run a risk of rusting your blades.

They could hold a game at a later date with the original tickets being valid, but people buy tickets because they can go that night.  They may not be able to go at a later date.  Attendance and profits would suffer.

You can test your luck once in a while, but the more you do it, the closer the law of probability closes in on you.

RC:  they should just sell tickets in the gold section, put removable seating up to the glass, and surround the rink with stands and removable seating.  Basically make it a hockey stadium in a football stadium.  

That artist mock-up makes no sense.  The tents with those flags will make it hard to see from the endzones, the giant lights will make it hard to see, and the trees will be annoying from all over the stadium. Can anybody find pictures of the Cold War game, because as I remember, they set it up nicely.

no body has mentioned this: What if it rains??? The ice would need to be fixed and you couldn't hold a hockey game in the rain. Anybody who has played hockey after the Zamboni put down a lot of water that hasn't frozen yet knows why: The puck doesn't move because it's stuck in water, it's hard to skate, and you run a risk of rusting your blades.

They could hold a game at a later date with the original tickets being valid, but people buy tickets because they can go that night. They may not be able to go at a later date. Attendance and profits would suffer.

If the weather is inclement, they said that they're playing both games inside the Skyreach Centre the next night.  I guess they'll have to refund to the other 38,000 pissed off fans, including the die-hards who flew in from Labrador to watch the game.  The way I see it though, if the weather is fine the next day, why not play it outdoors anyways?

Which also offers another problem: that's the only game in the early timeslot for Hockey Night in Canada on CBC that night.  Mind you, it's understandable, seeing as how the whole country would want to see this.  But CBC should have a back up plan to show another Canadian game nation wide (which would have to be Ottawa at Pittsburgh) in case the outdoor game is rained out.

RC:  they should just sell tickets in the gold section, put removable seating up to the glass, and surround the rink with stands and removable seating.  Basically make it a hockey stadium in a football stadium.

What I suggest was to set up the rink lengthwise across the endzone.  It may reduce the total number of seats sold, but increases the number of good seats.  Place temporary seating sections on the empty side and you'll have a good game.  Where the TV cameras and play-by-play announcers would be though is still up in the air.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't think the point of this game is to give people the best view possible - think about it, the best seat in the house will still be 40 - 50 yards from the ice surface - basically like sitting in the nosebleeds. the end with the tents: it's usually like that on some Eskimo Game days. they cover those seats with tarps and no one sits there. when they do, they only sell the first 10 rows and they are super cheap.

I am predicting EDM 5 MTL 4

have you been to edmonton sabres7200? it won't rain, however you brought up a good point because it could possibly bucket down with heavy snow. i think that would be so cool. pond hockey!!

will the teams wear old vintage jerseys or new ones? what about the allumni game?

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

although I might get a lot of john mcenroe impressions (you cant be serious) for saying this, but I would like to see it

I would love to see the sharks play the LA kings outdoors at pacbell park in SF. although we dont get a lot of snowfall here in the bay area (we get some but only in the high elevations)  I feel the weather in january around here could be cold enough to make it happen. if anything it would at least generate interest in hockey to the lukewarm bay area populus outside of Santa Clara County

Outdoor ice above freezing can be done--it's done alot for speedskating ovals (there's one in one of the suburbs here that's open all winter, regardless of the weather; in the summer they melt it down and turn it into an inline skating track/park), which are much, much larger than hockey rinks.  (Imagine turning a football stadium into a speedskating oval... hmmm...)

And, wasn't there a pre-season game -outdoors- in Las Vegas a few years ago?  (Or was that just a rumour?)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Here's an odd idea...

Make the ice surface the entiresize of field (especially the CFL field, which is thirty yards longer).

To make up for it, the Rover position will be reinstated....maybe two because the surface would be so huge.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

It won't be that easy. You have to consider the sightlines in those temporary seats. You wonder why the front row seats at a football stadium is about 8-10 feet above the playing surface?

I saw, I came, I left.

But that very fact should make it easier (though not easy) to put some seats in below.  Hockey seating generally doesn't start that high, so there should be some room to continue downward.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived