School Banishes Crusaders

WJMorris3

(Folks, I found this on the Bizarre News on WPVI.com. Discuss! --Will)

HINESBURG, VT ? The Crusaders of Champlain Valley Union High are now history.

The School Board in the Vermont community is selecting a new nickname and mascot for the school. The Islamic world has criticized the Crusades. And closer to home, some people object to a knight bearing a crucifix as the symbol for a public school.

The image makeover will be implemented in time for the next school year.

Redhawks, Bobcats and Red Wolves are all in the running for Union High's new nickname.

LvZYtbZ.png

BS!

Affirming your beliefs does not meant denying others, isn't it what freedom of expression is?

Come on, Political Correctness has gone just a little too far...

I really feel persecuted as a Christian... let me give you another example:

My employer, one of the largest multimedia outlet in the country (Cable, Hi-Speed Internet, Magazines, Radio, TV, Wireless Services, even a Pro Baseball team and a Stadium) ran by a family man with strong Christian values, while providing a prayer room at Ramadan, and sponsoring the Chinese New Year, does not in any way acknowledge Christmas for its employees.

We have a Children's party mid-December where the kids get gifts, and we have a huge company-wide New Year's gala, but no Christmas party...

Happy Holidays to you...

Back to the point at hand, I don't know the school, nor the full meaning of its teams' name, but couldn't the crusader just drop the cross and still be a crusader?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I agree. They should have kept the name but removed the cross. I didn't have a problem with the name until reading that part.

Also, off topic, but Frenchie, I literally laughed when you said you as a Christian were "persecuted." Christians are the least persecuted religious group in the world, and especially in America. If you want to see what real persecution is then change religions or move to another country, seriously.

It's strange, I went to college (University to you Canadian folks) in nearby Burlington, VT. The area as a whole was a rather rural and rustic area. I do not recall much of anything of a Islamic populace in the general area, nor do I ever recall an ongoing controversey about the school's nickname.

I did find an article about a similar story, and I imagine someone else in Vermont is on this man's wavelength. For some reason this sounds like a Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart bit.

From the Harrisburg (PA) Patriot-News;

A Pennsylvania man is on a quest to rid Catholic high schools of the ?crusader? nickname because he says it represents an evil, violent chapter in the history of the Christian church. Carl Silverman is mounting a one-man campaign to force high schools to change its mascot. Silverman thinks the nickname should banned altogether. "Crusaders", he said, "refers to medieval military expeditions by Christians who "killed thousands and thousands of people with the encouragement of the Catholic Church."

"The Pope apologized for the Crusades, yet these schools continue to use that term," he said. "It is time they realize what they represent."

About the only explanation I can think of is since September 11th, perhaps people have become sensitive to a fault in trying to be attentive to people's needs and feelings. In any event I agree, a little alteration is one thing, but this is taking PC too far.

If we took the time, isn't it possible we could find offense in most if not all nicknames?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Yeah, the crusader bearing a cross might be too iffy for these politically correct people who want to please everyone, but just drop the crucifix then. There's no need to change the whole identity of the school.

Nowadays, people use the term "crusader" to refer to someone trying to make a difference in the world. Take, for example, someone donating huge amounts of money for AIDS or cancer or fetal alcohol syndrome research or whatever. Often, they're called crusaders.

So why not just keep the knight (or create a new one with some person throwing money at a charitable cause), but lose the cross if you're really offended. Jeez, some people just need to lighten up. :rolleyes:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I agree. They should have kept the name but removed the cross. I didn't have a problem with the name until reading that part.

Also, off topic, but Frenchie, I literally laughed when you said you as a Christian were "persecuted." Christians are the least persecuted religious group in the world, and especially in America. If you want to see what real persecution is then change religions or move to another country, seriously.

Excuse me? In many islamic countries it is literally a mortal offense to be a Christian. Least persecuted? What about the hundreds of years Christians were slaughtered and executed throughout Rome? I don't think there really is a "least persecuted religion". Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Latter Day Saints, even Athiests who really have no organized religion are often persecuted if not by law then at least by colleagues, acquaintances, family, etc. There may be some religions whose persecution is less visible but I think anytime two people don't agree on moral standards there's the risk of persecution.

As for this instance, I'd say what's already been said. Why not just eliminate the cross and call them the Lancers or Knights or Calvarymen or whatever?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Excuse me? In many islamic countries it is literally a mortal offense to be a Christian. Least persecuted? What about the hundreds of years Christians were slaughtered and executed throughout Rome? I don't think there really is a "least persecuted religion". Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Latter Day Saints, even Athiests who really have no organized religion are often persecuted if not by law then at least by colleagues, acquaintances, family, etc. There may be some religions whose persecution is less visible but I think anytime two people don't agree on moral standards there's the risk of persecution.

As for this instance, I'd say what's already been said. Why not just eliminate the cross and call them the Lancers or Knights or Calvarymen or whatever?

Fine, in the year 2005, they are the least persecuted. Also, its not an offense in many Islamic countries. I've been to a few of them, and there are churches, meaning people practice their religion openly. Maybe the hardline countries, yes, but not most.

Fine, in the year 2005, they are the least persecuted. Also, its not an offense in many Islamic countries. I've been to a few of them, and there are churches, meaning people practice their religion openly. Maybe the hardline countries, yes, but not most.

It's true. Indonesia is prime example. Yes, the country is predomantly Muslim, but there are many Christians and Bali is Bhuddist believe it or not.

I saw, I came, I left.

I've figured out how every major league baseball team is offensive:

American League

Orioles: Offensive to people who hate the colors orange and black.

Red Sox: Offensive to anyone who has a sense of fashion.

Yankees: Offensive to anti-Americans and Southerners.

Blue Jays: Offensive to cardinals, robins, woodpeckers and other well-colored birds.

Devil Rays: Uh oh. It's got the word "Devil" in it. Too religious. Offensive to the non-religous.

White Sox: Offensive to people who don't wear white socks becasue they aren't in any form of athletics (see Athletics below).

Twins: Offensive to only-child families.

Indians: Well, duhhh.

Tigers: Offensive to lions, cheetahs, cougars and any other member of the cat family that may feel slighted.

Royals: Offensive to anyone who believes in either democracy or anarchy.

Angels: Uh oh. This is worse than Devil Rays. In fact, these are the opposite of devils. Way, way, too religious.

Rangers: Offensive to any outlaw in Texas.

Mariners: Offensive to people who get seasick.

Athletics: Offensive to people who aren't athletic.

National League

Nationals: This name is too jingoistic. Offensive to everyone who isn't American.

Phillies: Offensive to everyone who doesn't live in Philly.

Braves: Well, like the Indians, duhhh.

Marlins: Offensive to non-speared fish.

Mets: Offensive to non-New Yorkers.

Cardinals: Offensive to blue jays, robins, woodpeckers and other well-colored birds.

Cubs: Offensive to adult bears.

Pirates: Offensive to anyone who doesn't have a buried treasure off the Spanish Main. Harrr, ayyyeeee, avast ...

Brewers: Offensive to teetotalers.

Astros: Offensive to people who will never become an astronaut.

Reds: Offensive to non-communists.

Padres: Uh oh. This is almost as bad as the Angels. And to make matters worse, a padre is usually Catholic, so this can also be offensive to Protestants.

Diamondbacks:

Dodgers: Offensive to Plymouthers and Chryslerites (get it, get it?).

Giants: Offensive to vertically-challenged people.

Rockies: Offensive to anyone who hates Sylvester Stallone.

Oops. I forgot about the Diamondbacks.

So here goes, better late than never:

Diamondbacks: Offensive to any man who has had to fork out all sorts of money to buy his sweetie some kind of diamond, and is thus fearful of any word that has "diamond" in it.

Archived