Ottawa Lynx headed to...

Brian in Boston

... Allentown, PA?

Well, that's the rumor. Apparently, Joe Finley and Craig Stein - the entrepeneurs who are trying to bring affiliated minor-league baseball to Allentown - have an option to purchase the Ottawa Lynx from Vermont businessman Ray Pecor. With the legislation required to fund Allentown stadium construction expected to get a "thumbs up" today, Triple-A baseball could be setting up shop in the Lehigh Valley municipality in time for the 2008 International League season.

Because of Stein's relationship with the Philadelphia Phillies (he owns the club's Double-A affiliate in Reading, PA), as well as Philadelphia management's displeasure with the situation surrounding ownership of their current Triple-A affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, there is additional speculation that the new Allentown club will become the Phillies' Triple-A farm team.

Given that officials in Harrisburg, PA had been hoping to lure the Lynx to an improved Commerce Bank Park in their city, it is now thought that municipal officials in the Pennsylvania capital will attempt to buy the current Scranton/Wilkes-Barre franchise and strike a Triple-A affiliation with the Baltimore Orioles. However, they still have to line-up the funding for stadium upgrades.

I lived in Allentown -- well, technically Bethlehem, Pa. -- for a summer. The town itself isn't huge. But the entire metro area, which includes Bethlehem, Easton (home of Crayola) and various surrounding suburbs is pretty big. It's all home to a lot of NYC and Philly commuters.

I'm glad they might get a team. I wouldn't have a guess as to which identity they'd chose, though.

The Death of Canadian Baseball continues....

R.I.P.

Calgary Cannons

Edmonton Trappers

Vancouver Canadians (as a AAA affiliate)

Montreal Expos

I like the idea that the Phillies buy into them and make them their new AAA team. Much like the Cardinals with their new AA affiliate in Springfield, MO, it's always nice to have everyone close to the mother ship.

Cards.png

I like the idea that the Phillies buy into them and make them their new AAA team. Much like the Cardinals with their new AA affiliate in Springfield, MO, it's always nice to have everyone close to the mother ship.

You're talking about being 45 minutes by car closer to the mother ship.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is a little more than 2 hours' drive up the PA turnpike's Northeast Extension. Allentown is about an hour and a quarter.

My point is, the Phillies have their top 2 minor league teams within 2 hours of Philadelphia. And the capital of Canada deserves a team more than the Steel Belt of northeastern PA needs 2.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Although Allentown has the population for a triple-A team, I don't really see it as a triple-A city. They had a single-A team for two years, the Ambassadors. So, yeah, I don't know.... it's like... Columbus, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Buffalo... Allentown?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the last time an attempt to put a new stadium in the Lehigh Valley to support a minor-league team occured, said team (the Atlantic League's Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds, who became the Penn Road Warriors), played as a road team for six seasons before being replaced.

I think it would be a good move for the Phillies inasmuch as that now there would be a Phillies farm team in all three levels within an hour or so drive of Philly.

philly.png

And the capital of Canada deserves a team more than the Steel Belt of northeastern PA needs 2.

Frankly, Ottawa hasn't proven that it "deserves" to play host to a Triple-A baseball franchise for quite some time.

After making an impressive debut in 1993 by drawing a then-record 693,043 International League fans (9,761 per game), the Senators have seen their support in the Canadian capital erode precipitously. The numbers speak volumes:

1993 - 693,043 (9,761 per game)

1994 - 607,190 (8,929)

1995 - 511,865 (6,917)

1996 - 347,050 (5,423)

1997 - 266,568 (4,165)

1998 - 224,371 (3,205)

1999 - 195,979 (2,722)

2000 - 135,683 (2,339)

2001 - 205,916 (2,942) - First full season under current owner Ray Pecor... who managed to boost attendance for a year.

2002 - 191,305 (3,037)

2003 - 182,852 (2,575)

2004 - 159,619 (2,347)

Last season, the Lynx ranked 97th out of ALL 176 affiliated minor-league baseball team's in attendance. The next closest Triple-A market was Colorado Springs, which ranked 68th.

Bottom line? The market hasn't consistently supported the team that it has had for 13 seasons. Ottawa has lost the right to play host to the Triple-A team it supposedly "deserves".

I'd like to see the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx be replaced by a team closer to Chicago, myself. I agree that the farm teams should be closer. The Iowa Cubs are fine where they are, but Tennessee is a bit far, and I heard the Jaxx are moving anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hey you know what?

The International League will no longer be international if Ottawa leaves!

maybe then they will merge PCL and Int'l leagues to creat one 30-team Triple A Baseball league and use Pacific Coast as the western US and Atlantic Coast as the east

Hey you know what?

The International League will no longer be international if Ottawa leaves!

maybe then they will merge PCL and Int'l leagues to creat one 30-team Triple A Baseball league and use Pacific Coast as the western US and Atlantic Coast as the east

Doubtful, at best. Cost would be too big for most clubs.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I live in Allentown. First of all, the Ambassadors were never an A team. They were independent, translating to no one caring about them. This city could definitely support a team if it was at a high level, and the Lynx would be well supported here.

It's about time, I've been rooting for this for years.

They should move to Bethlehem and called themselves the BETHLEHEM JESUSES!!!

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't the plural of "Jesus" be "Jesi"? ^_^

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Allentown is not going to become the Phillies AAA team, at least in the near future. The Phillies and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre recently renewed a long-term agreement. (Not sure what Brian in Boston means by "the situation surrounding ownership of their current Triple-A affiliate." The Red Barons are owned by the county, not a private organization.)

And while an Allentown rival may seem good for the Red Barons, it could actually hurt Scranton/Wilkes-Barre because it cuts into their market area. The Red Barons currently draw a lot of people from the Poconos. But that area would be closer to Allentown than to Moosic.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived