Cardinals Stripped Socks!

pcgd

Watching the Cardinals/Brewers game tonight, I was anxious to see if the recent call up of Anthony Reyes (who wears his sock high) would show if the Cardinals still did sport the striped socks, as nobody has worn them high for about 3 or 4 years.

He wore them up, and they still have the stripes. Although they were the sturup/sock combo pieces of garbage...still looked good. Goofy hat though.

Here's the best pic I could find, not from the game tonight however; its from spring training.

s027-baseball-0305n.jpg

And for good measure, a 2 hit MLB debut from Anthony Reyes.

The Cardinal socks are one of baseball's best, along with the red/white/navy Boston style. The players should be embarassed the way they wear the uniform today. I remember when it was a badge of honor to properly wear a classic uniform like the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers.

Can you imagine what Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial or PeeWee Reese would have said to some of these overpaid hot dogs who "diss" their MLB uniform, turning it into a clown suit. Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, David Wells- they all look like slobs.

Maybe it's time for MLB to adopt a "dress code" ala the NFL. :mad:

s027-baseball-0305n.jpg

Is that the Road uniform with the red hat or am i seeing things?

In Spring Training, the Cards only wear their red hats. The picture from last night's game has An. Reyes (not to be confused with Cards' bullpen righty, Al Reyes) wearing the blue cap.

Everyone needs style to differentiate themselves. Rick Ankiel wore the high socks, but An. Reyes trumped him by going with the high sock-flat bill cap combo.

Solid.

Cards.png

The Cardinal socks are one of baseball's best, along with the red/white/navy Boston style. The players should be embarassed the way they wear the uniform today. I remember when it was a badge of honor to properly wear a classic uniform like the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers.

Can you imagine what Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial or PeeWee Reese would have said to some of these overpaid hot dogs who "diss" their MLB uniform, turning it into a clown suit. Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, David Wells- they all look like slobs.

I haven't typically agreed with you on anything, but I'm in complete agreement with you on this. They do look good, and unfortunatly the Sox decided about 5 years ago that their stripes weren't usefull anymore and went with a solid red sock.

When I look at Manny I see a clownsuit. It looks like crap. I wish they wouldn't HAVE to do a dress code and the players would add their own personality in small ways like a flat bill or their socks simply up or down. But its gone to another level in the last view years, and I blame Deion Sanders. Yes, Deion Sanders. Back in 1997, he decided that he wanted to wear his Reds sleevless jersey, with longer sleeves. Or it was super short sleeves, either way, he got his way. The entire reds team had to wear their sleeves like this. Personalization gone mad!

I haven't typically agreed with you on anything, but I'm in complete agreement with you on this. They do look good, and unfortunatly the Sox decided about 5 years ago that their stripes weren't usefull anymore and went with a solid red sock.

When I look at Manny I see a clownsuit. It looks like crap. I wish they wouldn't HAVE to do a dress code and the players would add their own personality in small ways like a flat bill or their socks simply up or down. But its gone to another level in the last view years, and I blame Deion Sanders. Yes, Deion Sanders. Back in 1997, he decided that he wanted to wear his Reds sleevless jersey, with longer sleeves. Or it was super short sleeves, either way, he got his way. The entire reds team had to wear their sleeves like this. Personalization gone mad!

I remember that as well...

However, I think PrimeTime's intentions were good with the little uniform modification on the Reds road jerseys...IIRC, he shortened the sleeves of his road uni to mimic the style that teams wore back in 1947....seeing it was the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.

I had no problems with it at the time (thought it was nice little nod to the past and a pretty unique way to honor a true pioneer), and I still think it was one of the coolest things he's ever done (well, besides that whole dumping of a cooler of ice water on Tim McCarver...:lol: )

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I think the Cards' stirrups are available from twin city knitting. You'd have to order a dozen pair, but if you're really desparate (as I am for the Red Sox ones they also have) it could be worth it.

In a related story, If any of you are interested in a pair of the Red Sox stirrups, let me know, I may just order a dozen pair if anyone else would take soe of them off my hands. :grin:

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

The Cards socks are beautiful. Probably the best in the game. It's a shame the players generally don't show them, but I can deal with your normal long pants look too...It's the velcroed to the shoes thing that bugs me.

Memphis (Redbirds...the Cards AAA team) may do this also, but I know for a fact the Springfield Cards (AA) do: the entire team wears high pants showing the socks...it looks great.

IIRC, the most recent Cardinals to wear the high socks look are Jason Simontacchi and Rick Ankiel. It's possible however that their are others.

Oh, and yeah, Deion did his sleeve thing to honor Jackie Robinson. And then the MLB said the whole team has to do the same thing, so the entire Reds team did Deion's thing.

I'd like to see more teams have their own dress codes, as it pertains to uniforms. I know the Yankees do the no long/facial hair thing; maybe the Red Sox could require everyone to wear their socks high?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the Cardinals' stirrups, and I miss the striped ones the Red Sox used to wear. But they would only look good as stirrups, not as part of a solid red sock. I suppose it would be inconsistent, but if a player likes one sock, then it should be solid red; if they want to wear the stirrups, then they should have the striped ones.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yes, Memphis does wear them up...but they all wear the one piece built in stirrup socks.

Also, in the Arizona Fall League the last few years all the players from the Cards orginazition have worn them up.

I don't know why they pull them down when they get to the majors.

So Taguchi wore them up his rookie year as well.

Where can I buy those socks? I mean, socks like the Cards' ones, Boston's ones...

I also like the old baseball socks like the '20 NY Giants...

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Here's a photo from today:

STLReyes.jpg

Yeah...what IS the deal with those stirrups??? Are they fake ones just sewn on? Strange looking, but I love the stripes.

No one noticed the stirrups are backwards? The high side goes to the back, low to the front.

I have a dress code on my 13-14 year old team. They all have to wear their pants up, their hair has to be under that hat in the front. and all hats: bills go forward and shirts need to be tucked in. I got tired of having kids look like a mess when the showed up to play, and had to explain to them why it is called a 'UNIFORM'.

Also stirrups came after solid socks, due to health concerns the stirrup came into function.

For me I would be more about wearing the pants off the shoes, then anything.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

why cant more players do this?

Well, for one thing, shoes cover about twice as much area on the foot as they used to, so you might not see the sanitary hose!

Kidding aside, I like the pants at the knee/socks up/stirrups at the ankles thing. I hate the weay Manny, Barry, Gagne, et al wear their uniform pants these days. (To be fair, that's three pretty good players there, so maybe they're on to something.) Do we know who the first player in the "modern" era was to wear his pants cuffed below his ankles?

But the Red Sox sock should be prominently, well, red. (But given this logic, what would the White Sox look like? Marrone.)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived