The Molina Jersey Conundrum

hhfranks

I was watching an Angels game the other day and they were on the road. Benji Molina had B. Molina on the back of his jersey but his brother Jose simply had Molina on the back of his jersey. I thought it was customary for brothers on the same team to both have the first letter of their first name and then their last name, such as Benji did. So I am wondering why Jose's jersey does not say J. Molina. Anyone have any insight?

probably just an oversight of the equipment guys. remember the ANGEES jersey that someone had a few years back in a game?

some teams choose not to have letters before the name at all, like the braves with the joneses.

i like the way the braves do it, and hated the extremes that the philadelphia flyers had to go to in the 80s when they had the sutter brothers' full names on the namebar.

Here's what I never understood, why in the heck do they even put the first letter. Doesn't the number itself make the uniforms different?

Also, I think the Cardinals used this tactic when Anthony Reyes (the stripped socks guy) pitched on Tuesday. He only had "REYES 26" on his jersey while Al Reyes was in the bullpen with "REYES 52" on the back of his.

Ah ok..so they make the new guy add have the first initial..that makes sense..what would happen if the Angels got Yadier Molina too? haha..then the Angels would have three Molina jerseys to take care of!

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, the fact that the two players are wearing different numbers should be more than enough of a distinction. Any time I see players with an initial on their jersey, I cringe.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Um, I don't really cringe when I see that. Maybe it's so people watching aren't like "Reyes is wearing 52??? I thought he was wearing 26!! WHAT'S HAPPENING AAAAHHHHH"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The same situation occurs on the Braves where Chipper Jones' uni sports just "JONES" whereas Andruw Jones wears "A. JONES". That is due to the fact Larry arrived in Atlanta before Andruw.

Didn't Chipper wear "C. Jones" for a while? I remember asking myself why it's "C. Jones" and not "L. Jones" for his actual first name - Larry.

Many years back the Queensland rugby league team had brothers Kevin and Kerrod Walters in the side at the same time.

So they had to use full first name in small letters above the surname on the back of the jersey.

It caused havoc on the TV coverage graphics... I think they ended up shortening them to Kev. Walters and Ker. Walters when surnames only were required.

liverpool-1.png

The same situation occurs on the Braves where Chipper Jones' uni sports just "JONES" whereas Andruw Jones wears "A. JONES".  That is due to the fact Larry arrived in Atlanta before Andruw.

Didn't Chipper wear "C. Jones" for a while? I remember asking myself why it's "C. Jones" and not "L. Jones" for his actual first name - Larry.

Because the only people who call him Larry are hecklers?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Many years back the Queensland rugby league team had brothers Kevin and Kerrod Walters in the side at the same time.

So they had to use full first name in small letters above the surname on the back of the jersey.

It caused havoc on the TV coverage graphics... I think they ended up shortening them to Kev. Walters and Ker. Walters when surnames only were required.

This situation happened in the NBA too.

Isiah Thomas had a Pistons jersey that had "ISIAH" above "THOMAS," with the first name in a smaller typeface.

pis87h11a.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

This situation happened in the NBA too.

Isiah Thomas had a Pistons jersey that had "ISIAH" above "THOMAS," with the first name in a smaller typeface.

If I remember correctly, the reason for it was because they also had Irving Thomas on the roster...

Archived