Cotton Bowl (stadium) may be getting naming rights

JBPerry

Yep, SMU has its own very nice and new stadium right now. It is called Ford Field and it puts the Cotton Bowl to shame. The new stadium in Frisco for FC Dallas also puts the Cotton Bowl to shame. Whoever does by the rights for the stadium gets an amazing deal. The OU-Texas game will be on national tv every year, so that is some excellent exposure. Even when there is not a game in the stadium, you will be getting constant advertising because you will have a big sign on the Cotton Bowl while everyone at the fair will walk by it and see the sign. So I do not think that it will be a problem for them to get a taker on their offer to sell the rights to the name. Like I said before, this is basically the only way that they will keep the OU-Texas game in Dallas. If Dallas were to lose this game, I do not think that they fully comprehend just how catastrophic the results would be for the Dallas economy. If the game moves from Dallas, the fans lose as well as the atmosphere will never be the same.

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium. (And aren't there a couple of corporations with more than one arena? American Airlines?)

Sovereign Bank Arena (Trenton, Wilkes-Barre)

Its Trenton and READING, Wilkes Barre is Wachovia,as well as 2 in Philly. Also dont forget about American Airlines, Arena in Miami, and Center in Dallas. Others I can think of are Bank Of America(Boise, Charlotte), Ford(Beaumont,Oklahoma City, Detroit),Fifth Third Bank(Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, and Grand Rapids)

Signature intentionally left blank

What the Heck does this have to do with Political Correctnesss??? 

what, do you ask? You know who came up with this idea, the Dallas City Council. A city council is part of the political spectrum, correct? Anyway, it's been the Cotton Bowl since 1932.

I'll cut you some slack since apparently English isn't your first language but this is not an instance of political correctness.

What the Heck does this have to do with Political Correctnesss??? 

what, do you ask? You know who came up with this idea, the Dallas City Council. A city council is part of the political spectrum, correct? Anyway, it's been the Cotton Bowl since 1932.

JBPerry - please, please, please learn the definition of political correctness.

This name change is just political, not politically correct. There is a difference, and you don't know it...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium. (And aren't there a couple of corporations with more than one arena? American Airlines?)

Its Trenton and READING, Wilkes Barre is Wachovia,as well as 2 in Philly. Also dont forget about American Airlines, Arena in Miami, and Center in Dallas. Others I can think of are Bank Of America(Boise, Charlotte), Ford(Beaumont,Oklahoma City, Detroit),Fifth Third Bank(Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, and Grand Rapids)

Pepsi(Denver,Albany)

The Cotton Bowl does not have a lot of choice in this. The city had an opportunity to upgrade the stadium, and have the Dallas Cowboys return to it. As it stands now, the OU-Texas game is moving to the new stadium in Arlington when it is finished IF the Cotton Bowl does not make major upgrades. So if the taxpayers, and Jerry Jones were unwilling to upgrade it, the only options left were to let it rot or take on a corporate sponsor. Count me as one of the people dissapointed that they could not get it done with the Cowboys. The Cotton Bowl would have been one of the premier stadiums at around 100,000 seat capacity when it was renovated if they had been able to do it.

Pepsi(Denver,Albany)

Pepsi is also in Indianapolis. Qwest in Seattle and Omaha and US Cellular in Milwaukee, Cedar Rapids, and Chicago

Signature intentionally left blank

As it stands now, the OU-Texas game is moving to the new stadium in Arlington when it is finished IF the Cotton Bowl does not make major upgrades.

no, it doesn't because the AD's already said if the Cotton Bowl doesn't get any improvements, they're gonna let it become a home-and-home series

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

As it stands now, the OU-Texas game is moving to the new stadium in Arlington when it is finished IF the Cotton Bowl does not make major upgrades.

no, it doesn't because the AD's already said if the Cotton Bowl doesn't get any improvements, they're gonna let it become a home-and-home series

No, I'm pretty sure that the series would be in Arlington/Houston if changes wern't made. Now that we're getting a stadium, Houston dosen't have a chance, and I still root for OU.

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium.

In a way, SBC already has rights to a stadium, Jones SBC Stadium in Lubbock, home of the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Here's the press release from Texas Tech. (yes, I know it's an old story)

SBC included in stadium name

:blink: Texas Tech has a corporate-named stadium?! What other schools have them? Hopefully, my Gophers join that list, however long it is. (If MN congress/Gov. Pawlenty would stop waging political warfare and work on an issue most of them actually agree on, we'll have it built and it will be named TCF Bank Stadium) Also, do we count Pitt (Heinz Field) if it's an off-campus stadium?

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Texas Tech has a corporate-named stadium?! What other schools have them?

Carrier Dome in Syracuse, US Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Papa John's in Louisville, Cox in San Diego, US Cellular in Milwaukee, Value City in Columbus, blah and blah and blah...

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

No, I'm pretty sure that the series would be in Arlington/Houston if changes wern't made. Now that we're getting a stadium, Houston dosen't have a chance, and I still root for OU.

no the ad's actually did say that they would have the game become a home-and-home series. Here's the story from The Dallas Morning News.

Texas-OU Game May become a home-and-home series

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Texas Tech has a corporate-named stadium?! What other schools have them?

Carrier Dome in Syracuse, US Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Papa John's in Louisville, Cox in San Diego, US Cellular in Milwaukee, Value City in Columbus, blah and blah and blah...

Comcast Center (U. of Maryland)

Movie Gallery Stadium (Troy)

RBC Center (NC State)

Alexander Coliseum at McDonald's Place (Georgia Tech)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived