Cotton Bowl (stadium) may be getting naming rights

JBPerry

oh boy! the cotton bowl (not the game) may soon be getting a sponsor's name. I wonder who will take the Dallas City Council up on their deal? Whoever it is, won't work. The Cotton Bowl is a great name as it is. The olny reason they're doing this is because they don't want the Texas-OU game to become a home-and-home series and also maybe have a Texas A&M - Texas Tech game. Here's the full story from The Dallas Morning News

Cotton Bowl May Recieve Sponsor

P.S. If the city council does go with it, what should be some names?

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium. (And aren't there a couple of corporations with more than one arena? American Airlines?)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium. (And aren't there a couple of corporations with more than one arena? American Airlines?)

they've already got an open-air stadium in San Francisco

SBC has naming rights to the Spurs' building already. But I don't suppose that would preclude them from taking an open-air stadium.

In a way, SBC already has rights to a stadium, Jones SBC Stadium in Lubbock, home of the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Here's the press release from Texas Tech. (yes, I know it's an old story)

SBC included in stadium name

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

My Webpage

they've already got an open-air stadium in San Francisco

But that was PacBell. When SBC took them over, they got the name.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Well fellas, Dallas really does not have much choice in this situation. If they do not improve the Cotton Bowl, the OU-Texas game will no longer be played there within a few seasons time. It is as simple as that. Dallas had its chance to get a new stadium in the fair park area, but they blew it and let the Cowboys' stadium contract slip away. Once again, Dallas' loss is Arlington's gain simply because Dallas did not want to spend tax dollars. If the city does not want to spend tax dollars to build a new state of the art stadium, there is no way they are going to want to spend tax dollars to improve an old and decaying stadium. When the city does not want to use tax money to build a new stadium or improve the current one, they have to get the money from some avenue. By selling the naming rights of the stadium they get the money to finally actually improve the stadium (and improving the stadium does not mean adding 100 seats to the endzone section). If Dallas lost the OU-Texas game, they would lose a ridiculous amount of money. That weekend makes the most money for Dallas than any other weekend in the entire year by a long shot. I want to see the game remain in Dallas, but thanks to the politics of the issue and the hardline stance that the City of Dallas is taking, the only way it looks like this would happen is if the naming rights are sold to generate the money needed to improve the stadium and keep the game in Dallas. When faced with not having the game in Dallas or just having another name in front of "Cotton Bowl" on the Cotton Bowl's sign, I would take that extra name without even thinking twice about it.

Hmmm. Im a former Dallas resident, but never went to the CB. But...I am against the naming of current structures.

If it's built starting tomorrow, no problem calling it SBC Stadium or whatever.

(SBC stands for nothing, btw.)

But, (as when I grew up in Cincinnati,) to take Riverfront Stadium and call it Cinergy field after 27 years is silly. No one called it Cinergy.

Ugh, if Jones had the knoledge to stay in Dallas and not move his [***] [***] Cowboys to my town, this wouldn't be happening. Most people in Arlington don't really want the stadium, only the rich people in my area near the lake. We have to pay $350 million, and we have to move poor people from their homes for "more than market value," which shouldn't be more than $24,000.

Then we've got people like Mr. Bonham. This guy is an idiot. He's the one who is pushing for ads on NBA and MLB jerseys. His plan is to start out small, like a patch on the sholder or arm, then grow to take over the name, and he says all the fans can do is sit and "accept it."

I really hate some people here in North Texas. :cursing:

Isn't Southwest Airlines based in Dallas?

(One could call the stadium the Southwest Cotton Bowl, I suppose...or Luv/Love Field for s#!%ts and giggles)

mark my words on this gentlemen,but i wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Pepper get the naming rights to the Cotton Bowl Stadium, 1.because the company located in Dallas,2. to my knowledge the company doesn t have it's name on any stadium yet.

What the Heck does this have to do with Political Correctnesss???

what, do you ask? You know who came up with this idea, the Dallas City Council. A city council is part of the political spectrum, correct? Anyway, it's been the Cotton Bowl since 1932.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

Sovereign Bank Arena (Trenton, Wilkes-Barre)

Well fellas, Dallas really does not have much choice in this situation. If they do not improve the Cotton Bowl, the OU-Texas game will no longer be played there within a few seasons time. It is as simple as that.

True. The Burn moved out.

The Cotton Bowl itself only has a few dates each year, yes? The Oklahoma-Texas derby, the Cotton Bowl game ... and doesn't SMU have its own stadium already??

mark my words on this gentlemen,but i wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Pepper get the naming rights to the Cotton Bowl Stadium, 1.because the company located in Dallas,2. to my knowledge the company doesn t have it's name on any stadium yet.

Except for one of the nicest minor league baseball stadiums in all the land: http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AA/frisco.html

They'll be lucky if they can fetch $1.5 M a year for a Cotton Bowl deal, which certainly won't help out with renovations.

Archived