KU unveils new Jayhawk logo

bri1275

Not new, but improved... :D

I like the lighter colors and the new KU workmark, very classy. It would have been nice if they used another color for the outline though.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's a slight upgrade.

However, it's primarily an athletic logo, and I think it'd be better with the athletic KU than the new Academic KU, but oh well.

Also, after seeing previous incarnations of the Jayhawk in someone's sig (I apologize for not remembering whose), I'd like to see the bird lose his shoes, or have the shoes made red, white, brown, or black (not as an invitation to use black elsewhere) so they were obviously shoes. I mean, it's not like they look don't like shoes, but they are obviously only yellow because that's the color of a birds feet. So, either make them just feet, or change the color.

Just my opinion though. It's a traditional logo with that cartoon college flare, so you can't go too wrong.

I kinda like the old colors. I'm a sucker for that dusty blue and a deep, goldenrod yellow. The new university mark is a huge upgrade over the plain-ass KU on the old one, though. Sometimes plain-ass works well, but it never did with Kansas.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The more I look at it, the more I come to side with tempest. I never thought the plain (or plain-ass to some, you know who you are...) "KU" looked like it belonged across the bird's chest. The fancier "KU" looks like it was placed there intentionally. But these colors are too bright - the deeper gold really looked classic, and the darker blue and red also worked. This looked like someone gave the logo a thorough dusting and opened the blinds in the room to let more light in. I prefer the richer, darker tones.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The more I look at it, the more I come to side with tempest. I never thought the plain (or plain-ass to some, you know who you are...) "KU" looked like it belonged across the bird's chest. The fancier "KU" looks like it was placed there intentionally. But these colors are too bright - the deeper gold really looked classic, and the darker blue and red also worked. This looked like someone gave the logo a thorough dusting and opened the blinds in the room to let more light in. I prefer the richer, darker tones.

Hmmm...yes, I can see that, since there's a continuation of a curve behind the "U" on the old version's chest. It also looks like the shadow in the bird's mouth in front of its tongue has been removed. Not sure that makes sense. What looked like a blue feather just above the heel of the bird's right/back shoe is now yellow and more likely a spur.

In any case the Jayhawk (and the 1940s' version on that board member's sig, no I can't recall their screen name either) looks like an animation cel.

tzch6.jpg

I am reminded of the Simpson's "Malibu Stacy" episode--right at the end, when they reveal the brand-new Malibu Stacy, she's exactly the same, except with a new hat. Lisa tells the other girls "Don't be fooled, she's still the same old doll!" And one girl says, "Yeah, but she's got a new hat!" And all the little yellow girls grab new dolls and go home happy, except Lisa.

Anyway, I guess I don't really have a point...just that this reminded me of that...

Jayhawk-logo-comparison.gif

Uh, where did that older, darker colored logo come from? I'm calling bullplop on the re-color thing, because the U. of Kansas for YEARS has used Blue 287 C, Red 185 C and Yellow C as the colors for that logo. Which is what that new logo looks like it's using...

Notice how the article didn't mention anything about the colors changing.

I think that all that changed was the "KU".

Look at the logos Chris has on his site. All the changes we think we've found besides the KU, probably, as Pantone said, are false.

Jayhawk Logo

Chris also has a version with a darker blue, but even it isn't close to the color of the one posted in the original post.

Darker Blue Jayhawk

I work for a screen printer in Lawrence and yesterday afternoon we recieved files for the volleyball tournament t-shirts and I saw the new jayhawk on it. After first I thought that one of their designers was just being clever with combining the two. Obviously I may have had a leg up on most people but didn't realize it. As for the updated logo, I HATE IT. The old one was classic. The serifed UNIVERSITY MARK looks bad on the jayhawk in my opinion.

Here is the "new" logo with the 1946 version in full and one color. The official colors that we go by here are: PMS 116, PMS 186, and PMS 293.

NewvsOld.png

I need to update my sig now :mad:

KUHawks.png

Here is the "new" logo with the 1946 version in full and one color. The official colors that we go by here are: PMS 116, PMS 186, and PMS 293.

OK...so now the Red and Yellow are slightly DARKER than before, and the Blue is slightly LIGHTER.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Just as long as they dont touch the Jayhawk itself, KU will be fine.

I'll give it a slight upgrade.

I am sorry, but a total upgrade to the Jayhawk would be sweet. I think it is long over due. I don't even see that a change in colors is truly an upgrade. It is the same logo.

Bengalssuck.jpg

NewvsOld.png

I need to update my sig now :mad:

Apologies for not remembering your name.

It looks as though the areas I called out on that "older version" in the original post (inside the mouth, rear spur) aren't blue on your "1946 version." A bit confusing.

tzch6.jpg

I believe that the old logo posted on the top of this thread is not entirely accurate. The one I used came straight from their graphic standards sheet. Also as far as the older colors they were: PMS 287 (royal), PMS 289 (navy), PMS 185 (scarlet) and PMS 123 (yellow). The navy blue was used mainly for the football team.

KUHawks.png

Archived