We are possible witnessing what could possibly be

oz615

Doyle Alexander was a Blue Jay in 1985 pitched the Division clinching game on the penultimate game of the season against the Yankees got ride off the field too if I recall.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Griffin was in Oakland by then... I'm guessing it was Tony Fernandez at short

Yeah I think it was Fernandez at short. Helluva finish to the season that year.

Back to the topic...Another dramatic game between the Sox and Indians last night. Gotta give the Sox credit, they could have folded up the tents after the Indians tied it up in the ninth.

I think the Indians needed a sweep to have a realistic shot at the division title. Granted a win today leaves them 2.5 back with 10 to play but I gotta think they are going to cool off at least a little bit and Chicago isn't going to keep stumbling to the finish. Still, on August 1st no one thought it would be this close. Should be a fun end to the season.

At the start of the season how many of us thought 90+ wins wouldn't win the American League Central? I figured 90 wins would take that division easily.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

So, the Sox just played what, for them, was the most important remaining home series of the regular season; hosting the second place Indians in meaningful September divisional race ball games. And how many fans showed up? 35,748 Monday - 4867 short of a sell-out (capacity is listed at 40,615), and it turns out that was on two for one ticket night! The next night, with again the division on the line, and the entire crowd now having to pay to get into the park, only 26,147 bothered to show. The final night of the series, was the best attended, at 36,543, but that's still 4072 shy of capacity. What does it take for Sox fans to show up?

As if that doesn't show how truly apathetic South-Siders are in their support of the franchise, I looked up the Cubs attendance this year, and found out some interesting things - the Cubs have not had fewer than 36,791 at any home game this year (Mon. April 11th vs. San Diego - and incidentally the first non-opening day week-day day game of the season - and a day it was 50 with the wind blowing in).

Back to the Sox - their smallest crowd was also early in the year (10,520!), in fact the second home game (Thu. April 6th vs. Cleveland). What the Sox don't have, however, is the weather excuse. Conditions are listed for that day as 75 and sunny.

The Sox attendance woes have continued as the season has worn on, with the Cubs struggling to get back to .500 and the Sox trying to maintain the best record in MLB (and lately anyway, failing miserably). Just two weeks ago, the Sox had one of their worst attended games of the year, as just 14,571 showed up to see them play Kansas City on a 79 degree and sunny day on Sep. 6th. This with the Sox, at the time, seemingly firmly marching towards the AL Central title. Pathetic.

Moose

To be honest, I think the reason that Cubs have better attendance is really simple:

A) The Cubs always cry about how they're cursed..so people come out and back them. Ninety-five percent of baseball fans here in So. Indiana are Cubs Fans, with only a mere 2% (not exact figures) are Cardinals fans, with only like .005% ChiSox fans.

B) The Black Sox.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Anyone else think that if the White Sox blow this, the Hawk just might slit his wrists on the air? :lol:

Not like the road gets any easier for the White Sox...they have 4 with the Twins and they have to face Santana in one of those games...and you'd have to think that the Twins would love NOTHING better than to totally fluff up the South Side's chance of winning this...

Meanwhile...the Tribe's in KC for 4....anything less than 3 out of 4 is an utter disappointment for Cleveland, IMO. This is a bad team and they should make the most of it.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Anyone else think that if the White Sox blow this, the Hawk just might slit his wrists on the air? :lol:

Not like the road gets any easier for the White Sox...they have 4 with the Twins and they have to face Santana in one of those games...and you'd have to think that the Twins would love NOTHING better than to totally fluff up the South Side's chance of winning this...

Meanwhile...the Tribe's in KC for 4....anything less than 3 out of 4 is an utter disappointment for Cleveland, IMO. This is a bad team and they should make the most of it.

Now THAT'S an understatement! :lol:

I would like nothing more than having 2 AL Central teams in the playoffs so that those idiots at FOX have to pay attention to some other teams besides the Sawks and Yanks.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

The Twins are now mathematically eliminated. However, I would like to see nothing more than the White Sox blow this lead (right now, I'm very torn between hoping the White Sox win the wild card or the Red Sox/Yankees... since pretty much all my Chicago-area friends are Cubs fans, I'll go with the Red Sox/Yankees :D) And I like the pitchers the Twins have going:

Santana (has been lights-out like always)

Lohse (has been pitching well lately; he is, after all, pitching to stay on the team)

Mays (?! That has to be a misprint. Sox win if this holds up)

Liriano (Twins fans love the two youngsters, Baker and Liriano)

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived