So THAT's what BCS stands for...

Jigga

I'm not sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I searched for BCS at brandsoftheworld.com and this was the result. Kinda cool, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, I can't argue that! :P:P

We all know that LSU and USC should have met for the 2003 title. Oklahoma sucked in their CHAMPIONSHIP game, losing to Kansas State, who ended up losing in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. Here is an idea...

DO A DAMN PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing::cursing:

Take the Top 16 teams in the AP or HARRIS polls, whichever you want, and do it like this...

First Round: 16 @ 1; 9 @ 8; 12 @ 5; 13 @ 4; 14 @ 3; 11 @ 6; 10 @ 7; 15 @ 2

You get the idea, and the Title Game, if I were to run it, would be in Pasadena every year.

Don't forget that if there was a playoff in 2002-03 USC might very well have won the championship that year, too. They lost a couple games early so they didn't have a case for being in the traditional national title hunt, but by the end of the season I think they were clearly the best team in the country. I bet they would have smoked Miami or Ohio State that year.

1zgyd8w.jpg

DO A DAMN PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First: :notworthy: I agree 100%. Lets be honest, I do not see how you vote 2 teams to be #1 & #2, then have them play a so called championship game. Now I will grant you that voting is how the system works, HOWEVER, until we have a playoff the BCS Committee will continue to tell us who they think the national champs are. We all know, that until a real playoff exist, there hasn't really been a real playoff Champion.

To tohasbo: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Bengalssuck.jpg

Did anyone actually click the link? If not, it shows BULLS#!T CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES instead of BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES.

My post was actually regarding the logo itself, not whether it was "true" lol. The thing that shocked me is that this logo is actually on the brandsoftheworld.com site, it's not a parody site.

Interesting either way...

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's gotta be a playoff. This BCS stuff not only is controversial, but it's also very unexciting. A playoff is the best way, you could have upsets, cinderella teams, excitement, underdogs! Not just putting the two best during the season in one game. This BCS thing is horse crap, and I want to see some college football playoff action!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm totally in favor of having a playoff...it works in I-AA.

However...

As long as the bowl committees have the say over the I-A postseason landscape that they do (it's mighty hard for a college to say no to a payday like some of these places hand out for games), we ain't ever gonna see a I-A playoff.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I wish the NCAA would stop lying about the academics involved. College basketball players have it much rougher academically with midweek road games and all the time some conferences dedicate to conference tournaments.

I would like a 16 team playoff--11 conference champions and five at large. Sure there would be some controversy with that 5th at large team, but that beats the #2 vs#3 we always get now.

BCS--The "C" is silent.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This summer I got the opportunity to meet Pail Dee, the athletic director at the University of Miami. My clas got to sit down with him and actually ask him some tough questions for almost an hour. As you guys know, Miami goes into every football season expecting to win the national championship. The idea of a 1-A playoff was posed by one of my classmates, and Dee stated flat out that it'll never happen. The presidents of the 1-A schools are steadfast against it. He did however mention that they are always looking to improve the current system.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Improve the current system? Screw that! How about ditching it for a playoff.

It works in I-AA, in Division II, in Division III, and even the freaking NAIA has playoffs.

Why do the I-A schools just hold steadfast with these games that really just don't have that much appeal anymore.

Am I the only one whos against a playoff? The current system needs to be revamped, but a playoff would be crazy to figure out. What if Army goes 11-0 against all crappy teams? How yould you place them in the playoffs?

I really think that the Bowl series needs to be fixed so its not a certain conference representative playing, but based on ranking. 1/2 play, 3/4 play, 5/6 play, etc.

Am I the only one whos against a playoff? The current system needs to be revamped, but a playoff would be crazy to figure out. What if Army goes 11-0 against all crappy teams? How yould you place them in the playoffs?

I really think that the Bowl series needs to be fixed so its not a certain conference representative playing, but based on ranking. 1/2 play, 3/4 play, 5/6 play, etc.

You know a system is in rough shape when it gets "tweaked" almost every year.

You know it is in rough shape when one out of three undeafeted teams has no shot.

1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 bowls may make some of the "other" bowls (which don't county anyway) more interesting, but it still gives you the same mess at the top. Auburn still would have been on the outside looking in last year.

Your Army example is why i like the 16-team tournament with each conference champ getting in. And if Army is an independent, that's their problem--then they'd be at the mercy of the selection committee to see if they get one of the five at-large bids.

Not only that, but someday a C-USA or WAC team is going to go 11-0 against two good/respectable teams and 9 bad ones. Putting them in an 8 or 16 team playoff to see how they would do is great. But having to decide whether they are more deseriving of that second slot over 10-1 Florida State--much worse than your Army example.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

First of all, Army wouldn't go 11-0 against High School teams...second, who cares how you would place them in the playoffs? The beauty of the playoff is that it's decided on the field not by some computers and pollsters that don't watch the games. I am definitely in favor of the 16 team playoff chosen by a selection committee. That's only 15 "bowl" games. You then have 15 (or more?) other "bowl games" that are for good teams that just aren't good enough to make the playoff. Much in the same vain of the NCAA/NIT tournaments.

There's enough money and enough attention to go around. College football could own that time of year if they did this right!

There's enough money and enough attention to go around. College football could own that time of year if they did this right!

That's what I would think...

We always hear about how much money there is in these bowls, but if you could have 15 games that count in the tourney, plus all the ".com" bowls, I would think that would more than make up for it.

I know there is tradition in the bowls (not that the NCAA EVER picks tradition over money), but I'd give it up. Being a life long Big Ten fan, it was always about the Rose Bowl. My freshman year at Wisconsin, the Badgers came out of nowhere to make the Rose Bowl. And it was exciting as hell. But I'd give it all up for a tournament. I'd have given it all up for a likely 1st round loss to Florida State or someone.

POTD (Shared)

Archived