Frank Thomas likely near to the retirement...

Swiss

I don't think he's deserving.

He falls just short.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I don't think he gets in. Not on the first ballot anyways. It may take him a while to get in, and I mean a LONG while. I think he had good numbers, but not HOF numbers.

But the WS does help.

I'd put him in. No reasons other than gut reaction when the question is asked, but I can see why some would think he would fall short. I just think he was great enough for long enough, but he probably used steroids...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He's a good player, and we tend to glorify the players we grew up with more than players from other eras that we never saw.

That said, I don't think Frank Thomas is quite good enough. The Hall of Fame is for all-time greats. I don't know that in 50 years we'd be reminiscing about him the way we talk about Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle today. Letting every "good player" into the HOF diminishes the accomplishments of those for whom the honor was intended. What do we do then - take the 30 or 40 true all-time greats and build them a Super-Special Hall of Fame Wing?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

One said yes... other said no... will Thomas be a new Jim Rice?

Jim Rice. Talk about a perfect comparison...

Man, Thomas is a tough call. You could argue either way for him. I think he played clean. Taking into consideration the fact that his numbers are probably more "real" than most of the other power hitters of his era, I'd give him the nod. Great hitter in his prime. Real power not the chemically enhanced kind, decent character. I wouldn't argue with putting him in the hall...

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

He's a good player, and we tend to glorify the players we grew up with more than players from other eras that we never saw.

That said, I don't think Frank Thomas is quite good enough. The Hall of Fame is for all-time greats. I don't know that in 50 years we'd be reminiscing about him the way we talk about Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle today. Letting every "good player" into the HOF diminishes the accomplishments of those for whom the honor was intended. What do we do then - take the 30 or 40 true all-time greats and build them a Super-Special Hall of Fame Wing?

I think we also tend to wax poetic a bit too much about players from past eras (that we never saw) too. You have to judge players versus their era, not against some artificial standard of greatness from the 50s and before.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think Thomas is a classic example of a player who will be hurt by the "steroid" era and why steroids have pissed me off so much.

Statistically clowns like Canseco and Palmeiro and Sheffield and Bonds and Sosa may diminish what he did. He wasn't always a DH. He hit for great average and OBP early in his career. He was a complete hitter and not just a power guy. And he played on some bad teams, when he didn't get a lot to hit.

I think he compares well with old school hitters and i think he deserves it but i don't think he will get in..and it's too bad

Victim of the times!

Statistically clowns like Canseco and Palmeiro and Sheffield and Bonds and Sosa may diminish what he did...

... funny that you don't mention McGwire, being a Cards fan. ^_^

But I digress.

Thomas was a great player, but I think he falls just short of being Hall of Fame worthy. I wouldn't object if he were to get in, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived