The Only Way To Find A True Champion...

tohasbo

There you go. That's the best way to determine a true champion.

Now, let's see what we can get from this... The seeding would be determined from an RPI index similar to what is used in the NCAA Basketball Championship.

Now, an example of this idea, thanks to the current Sagarin conference ratings

1st Round

-(12) UL Monroe (Current Sun Belt Leader) vs. (5) Alabama (Current SEC Leader) [Motor City Bowl]

-(11) Fresno State or Boise State (Current WAC Leader) vs. (6) West Virginia (Current Big East Leader) [Emerald Bowl]

-(10) Toledo (Current MAC Leader) vs. (7) Notre Dame (Best Independent) [New Orleans Bowl]

-(9) UTEP (Current C-USA Leader) vs. (8) TCU (MWC Champion) [Poinsetta Bowl]

Quarterfinals

-UTEP-TCU winner vs. (1) Penn State (Current Big Ten Leader) [Cotton Bowl]

-UL Monroe-Alabama winner vs. (4) Texas (Current Big 12 Leader) [Peach Bowl]

-Toledo-Notre Dame winner vs. (2) Florida State (Current ACC Leader) [Gator Bowl]

-WAC Champion-West Virginia winner vs. (3) USC (Current Pac 10 Leader) [Holiday Bowl]

Semifinals

-Quarterfinal #1 winner vs. Quarterfinal winner #4 [sugar Bowl]

-Quarterfinal #2 winner vs. Quarterfinal winner #3 [Fiesta Bowl]

3rd Place Game

-Semifinal loser #1 vs. Semifinal loser #2 [Orange Bowl]

National Championship Game [Rose Bowl]

-Semifinal winner #1 vs. Semifinal winner #2

Independent shoudl change to "At Large Bid" (otherwise it'll be Norte Dame, Army, Navy or Temple and they never play each other...IE Notre Dame gets a free pass) and is there any need for the Corn Belt or the MAC to get a bid?

I say have at least 3 at large Bids and make sure they don't get a bye. I'd say you could throw out C-USA, Mountain West, and the WAC (and maybe the Big East) as well and have 6 At large bids.

I agree with pcgd that independants should have an at-large bid.

I like the format you came up with Tohasbo

It'll be interesting to see how Terry Bradshaw has an impact on the BSC this year

Any time someone wonders this^^^^ there outa be something wrong with the way the BSC is doing things

I think it's a great idea. Only have three at-larges (kick out the Sun Belt and WAC), so it's not my beloved Notre Dame taking that one At-Large spot every year (gotta be fair.)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I only question this because under the original format, two of the top four teams might be in the same conference (let's just use OSU and Iowa as the example) and yet only one could make it. I almost say you can play 24 teams, with 11 conference champions and 13 at larges.

LvZYtbZ.png

It's just...so...(sniffle)...beautiful. :cry:

I love the fact it's 12 teams and uses byes (hell, more bowls involved!), 16 may be feasible as well, but definiltely no more than 16.

However, I hope they wouldn't use the Sagarin rankings. I think they should either use the BCS or better yet have a friggin' selection committee.

But this is nice! tohasbo must like excel...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Thanks, guys. I am just pissed that the BCS gets it wrong every year. Examples...

2004: Left Auburn out of the Title game

2003: USC left out of the title game and should have gone since Oklahoma was blown out by Kansas St. in the Big XII Title game

This is just two examples of why the Bullplop Series does NOT work.

I think that current BCS conference champions should be automatically in (so thats 6 teams), plus the champions of CUSA and MWC should also be in (now we're at 8) and the final 4 slots would be at-large. If a team out of the MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt is vying for an at-large bid, they must win their conference to qualify (Indy's can claim at large bids too). If there are no decent MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt teams to be at-large, it then goes to the rest of the schools

It's definately a step in the right direction. Here is what I would like to see:

--I agree 100% with PCGD that "independent" needs to be at large. During Ohio State's championship year, Iowa would have gotten snubbed in favor of Notre Dame.

--I agree 100% with the orignial post that ALL conferences should be involved. It gives them somthing to sink their teeth into and we will never have to wonder how good Utah or Boise State really are if they go undefeated.

--I would have a 16 team tournament with 5 at large bids...

Good stuff through

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2004: Left Auburn out of the Title game

The only reason Auburn fans feel shafted is because the result was a blowout.

-If the USC-Oklahoma game was a 1-point difference, would we still be hearing about Auburn getting left out?

-If USC-Auburn were playing for the NC, and Auburn lost 55-19, would we still feel like they were the best two teams?

It's definately a step in the right direction. Here is what I would like to see:

--I agree 100% with PCGD that "independent" needs to be at large. During Ohio State's championship year, Iowa would have gotten snubbed in favor of Notre Dame.

--I agree 100% with the orignial post that ALL conferences should be involved. It gives them somthing to sink their teeth into and we will never have to wonder how good Utah or Boise State really are if they go undefeated.

--I would have a 16 team tournament with 5 at large bids...

Good stuff through

16 teams is much better

no, but the BCS does not work. It has benn proven many times that the system does not work and believe that the only time it was any good was ini the 1998 NC game with Tennessee and Florida State and the following year with Florida State and Virginia Tech.

no, but the BCS does not work. It has benn proven many times that the system does not work and believe that the only time it was any good was ini the 1998 NC game with Tennessee and Florida State and the following year with Florida State and Virginia Tech.

I did not think it worked in 1998. There were a bunch of 1-loss teams, but EVERYONE agreed that FSU deserved it. BS. Media darling status is too important for the BCS.

I worked with OSU vs. Miami.

But it usually is bad.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

16 might be OK, but 12 would work better. There aren't enough good conferences whose champions have a viable shot at winning.

Would Louisiana-Monroe be more deserving of a spot in this playoff for winning their conference than say, the SEC, Big Ten or ACC runner-up?

The only problem with any system where seeds are filled by non-objective criteria as it is done here is that there is always going to be one team that feels it should be included. In March Madness, the 66th team is always snubbed, and it's either a good mid-major or a mediocre school from a power conference. Here, the 13th or 17th ranked team would be shut out.

In pro sports, there are strict criteria for the playoffs. There are no seedings, no rankings, no polls. You either make it in to the playoffs or you don't. Nobody is snubbed or overlooked. Can't do it that way in college, so there is always going to be controversy. At this time, it's because there is often a 3rd team left out of #1 v. #2. But there'd be the same controversy if the slotted a Final 4, because there'd be #5 crying foul. More teams won't settle it much better.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived