Quirky HS Nicknames

MisterE

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care that two people already mentioned them, I'm going to mention them again, because I'm from Philadelphia and I thought of these as soon as I saw this thread.  :P Plus I have more posts.  :D

And aside from pretty straightforward nicknames (Rams, Eagles, etc.), the city has four odd yet cool nicknames.

Ben Franklin Electrons

West Philadelphia Speedboys

Central Lancers

Lincoln Railsplitters

Roman Catholic Cahillites

Okay, since you're from the Philly area and I'm a transplant to the area, can you tell me why the Philadelphia Inquirer always refers to St. Joseph's Prep as "The Prep"? It's not like it's the only prep school in the region; there's Malvern Prep, for example.

One of my law school roommates, who went to the "The Prep" and St. Joseph's Univ., would probably tell us that it is to distinguish between those two institutions. God knows that I used to hear about his days at "The Prep" often enough. B) That is purely my educated guess, so anyone with first hand knowledge can set the record straight if I'm wrong.

This is sort of like Miami deciding to call itself "The U" even though there are obviously other "U. of [insert Location Here]" schools around. I guess the difference is that "The U" is only used in a self-referential manner, not by the media.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I did some digging, and it looks like a story behind Waukesha South's Blackshirt name's surfaced.

Waukesha South Blackshirts (WI)

The team was once known as the Cardinals. (Scrim edit: at that time, South was simply Waukesha High, as Waukesha North HS was a few decades away from coming into existence, never mind Waukesha West) During the Great Depression, the school needed to purchase new football uniforms. Unfortunately, the cost of jerseys made with red dye was too expensive for the school's budget. Therefore, they decided to go with less expensive black jerseys. At the time black was apparently a rare color for football uniforms, so the opposing teams and their fans made fun of the Waukesha athletes and called them the "Black Shirts." Rather than be embarrassed, the school decided to show pride in the name, and therefore re-named themselves the Blackshirts. They also decided to keep the cardinal as their mascot, renaming him "Blackie Blackshirt."

I could swear last time I checked that site it was a different story.

anyways, a funny story about Pius XI...in 2000 the football coach (who was only there one year, from what I'd been told) decided to eschew the Popes name and replace it with Storm. None of Pius' other teams did this, so I can only assume this coach was high. Pius Storm...Pius Storm...no, I still can't picture it sounding or looking right. it wasn't for a lack of effort (they had a storm circle logo on the helmet and sleeves, and a thunderbolt on the front of the helmet stripe...that, I only know cus I'd played in both the JV and varsity games and noticed it). The next year, Pius' football players were once again Popes.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now wait, Millville (NJ) isn't the Flashes, they're the Thunderbolts (named for the airplane). Also in the area are the Vineland Fighting Clan (mascot is a rooster -- they used to be a chicken-raising capital), the Highland Tartans (obvious reason), the Lower Cape May Caper Tigers (which they shorten to Capers), and the Haddon Heights Garnets (what're they gonna do? Sparkle you to death?)

College around here suffers from it too, as you have the Salem County College Oaks, the Stockton College Ospreys, and the Rowan University Profs (short for Professors).

LvZYtbZ.png

some hs names around the chicago area

fenwick friars

st. patrick shamrocks

mother mccauley mighty macs

new trier trevians

roosevelt roughriders

loyola ramblers... got it from the university

walter payton grizzlies... fitting somewhat

whitney young dolphins.... where i graduated from actually. there was something in the school paper about our mascot. 30 years ago when the when whitney young first opened they considered "magnets." but the principal thought other schools would refer to us as "maggots." So, they went with the dolphins, we had a top of the line swimming pool when it was first built, and dolphins are smart.

whitney m. young magnet high school magnets... doesnt have a nice ring to it...

whitney young dolphins.... where i graduated from actually. there was something in the school paper about our mascot. 30 years ago when the when whitney young first opened they considered "magnets." but the principal thought other schools would refer to us as "maggots." So, they went with the dolphins, we had a top of the line swimming pool when it was first built, and dolphins are smart.

whitney m. young magnet high school magnets... doesnt have a nice ring to it...

oddly enough, one of my cousins graduated from there in about 92.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Some different one from the state of Maine:

Edward Little Red Eddies

Old Orchard Beach Seagulls

Brewer Witches

Houlton Shiretowners

Falmouth Yachtsmen

Foxcroft Academy Ponies...think they could make this any less intimidating?

and along those same lines...Lee Academy Pandas

Hebron Academy Lumberjacks

Pickens Blue Flame

Travelers Rest Devildogs

Broome Centurions

Bishop England Battling Bishops

Mullins Auctioneers

Timmonsville Whirlwinds

Ah, another South Carolinian!

That prompted me to think of the Bennettsville Green Gremlins and the Marion Swamp Foxes.

tzch6.jpg

That prompted me to think of . . .  the Marion Swamp Foxes.

. . . which would sound kind of gross if it wasn't an excellent Revolutionary War reference.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

That prompted me to think of . . .  the Marion Swamp Foxes.

. . . which would sound kind of gross if it wasn't an excellent Revolutionary War reference.

Unfortunately their current logo doesn't take advantage of that connection.

p530681954_624.jpg

That is a shame. That reminds me a little of this -- Marist College Red Foxes (just try to imagine the rest of the fox's head, since the image gets cut off).

mari-04-msthd-v2a.gif

Just brought this back for an update - I mentioned the Watertown (WI) Goslings.

An article in the Milwaukee paper today said it was because Watertown was noted for raising geese for pate. The geese are fed a lot of carbs, noodles, etc., until their livers are larger than Mickey Mantle's. The livers are then used for pate. PETA would have a hissy.

Anyway, "Watertown geese" became famous, and the young students at the school became the Goslings.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Brunswick (MD) Railroaders. Just saw this in the paper this morning.

Archived