Quirky HS Nicknames

MisterE

There has probaly been a topic about this before but I've discovered some names here in Illinois you might wanna see.

-Fisher Bunnies

-Hoopeston Cornjerkers

-Marrisa Meteors

-Centralia Orphans

-Cobden Appleknockers

-New Berlin Pretzels

-Freebury Midgets

-Kincaid Ponies

-Lincoln Railsplitters

and my favorite

-Effingham Flaming Hearts

As well as more violent nicknames:

-Knoxville Blue Bullets

-Milledgeville Missiles

-Plano Reapers

Post some more HS nicknames from your area.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparrows Point (MD) Pointers

Boiling Springs (PA) Bubblers

Easton (PA) Red Rovers

William Allen (PA) Canaries

Bangor (PA) Slaters

Northampton (PA) Konkrete Kids

Dunbar (MD) Poets

Philipsburg (NJ) Stateliners

Jim Thorpe (PA) Olympians

I'm doing most of the Pennsylvania ones from distant memory, so please feel free to correct me (particularly on Northampton -- it might be a different school that uses that nickname).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There aren't many really weird HS nicknames around here. The only one I can think of is the Ceramics. But, this thread made me think of another high school around here... Fairfield Union. On their band uniforms there is a big "FU" on the chest and there is a rumor (I don't know if its true or not) that a long time ago their nickname was the "Charging Knights"

You can figure it out

St. Stanislaus (MS) Rock-a-Chaws

My school's mascot is a Rock-a-Chaw, which is one of those sticky things that stick to your sock when you walk through weeds or on the beach. No pic because our school website is down due to Katrina, but you can find it on google image search.

AM.gif

two more odd ones from Wisconsin:

Manitowoc Ships...I figure Manty was once (or still is) known for shipbuilding, hence the name

Waukesha South Blackshirts...the school used to simply be Waukesha High, but then in 1954 IIRC rival school Waukesha North was built. Waukesha High alums decided with the school's name change, and the fact that a few other teams in their conference at the time were also Cardinals, they may as well change the teams' name too...and so the Waukesha Cardinals became the Waukesha South Blackshirts (North is...wait for it...the Northstars). No, they don't make any references to Nazism or fascism if you're wondering about that...like Iowa State's cyclone cardinal, Waukesha uses a cardinal wearing a black shirt. Only implication's that the school's teams mainly wear black.

and then a nickname that apparently is only used by two Wisconsin high schools...Purgolders

one is Milwaukee Washington (and they use a husky mascot) and the other's in Madison, though I don't remember what school exactly. the Purgolders name is taken from the colors...PURple and GOLD

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I forgot another local school,the Chillicothe Grey Ghosts.

Their colors were maroon and silver/grey and if I remember right,their helmets were silver with a maroon ghost.

I don't know if my town's team can be considered quirky but we're the Purple Raiders with purple and gold as our colors.

-Effingham Flaming Hearts

My nephew graduated from there, and I'm almost positive they weren't called that..I'd remember.

Are you sure that it's right?

Anyway, the three schools in our county..while not having weird names individually (besides Wood Memorial)..when you put them together (which we did for a baseball tournament up against other counties' HSs:

Gibson Southern Titans (Whoo! Class of '05!)

Wood Memorial Trojans (Yeah..the Wood Trojans..)

and the Princeton Tigers.

When our powers combine, we become the:

GIBSON COUNTY TRIANGLE T'S!

Also, there's a chant when the bigger towns play each other: "Fortsy (nickname for where Gibson Southern is based, Ft. Branch) has the Titans, Princeton has the Tigers, but Oakland City has Wood!"

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I'm an alum from The Madeira School in Virginia.. we were the SNAILS.

(though it was taken from the school's Latin phrase "Festina Lente", which means "Make haste slowly".. it was more of a joke rather than a legitimate mascot - like we don't have "Snails" on our basketball uniforms or anything!)

Also, there's a great website that has compiled a huge list of the random high school mascot nicknames, found here:

http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

I just went through the Wisconsin Directory so here are some others (A-E)

Altoona Railroaders, Aquinis BluGolds, Ashland Oredockers, Spooner Rails, Badger Badgers, Bayfield Trollers, Butternut Midgets, Columbus Catholic Dons, Cuba City Cubans, D.C. Everest Evergreens, Eau Claire Memorial Old Abes, Elk Mound Mounders.

I will do other later.

One more from Wisconsin>The Whitewater Whippets. A whippet is a grayhound.

Downington (PA) also has the Whippets.

Dudley High in Greensboro, NC goes by the Whirlies; as far as I can tell, a Whirlie was like a beanie cap with a propellor on it.

The last one's changed, but it was one of my favorites: Auburn High (MA) went by "the Dandies", and the mascot was "an effeminate, well-dressed gentleman". They changed to the Rockets a few years back (birthplace of Lewis Goddard, American father of rocketry).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I just kinda skimmed over the other posts so excuse me if this name has been posted already.

My old High School's name is in the nickname hall of fame.

The Norwalk Truckers.

(1974 AA State Champions! one of three winning seasons in my lifetime.)

We were named after all the trucking companies that used to call Norwalk home. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived