Quirky HS Nicknames

MisterE

Okay, when I was in high school, I attended Bloom, home of the Trojans. Our sister school in the district, Bloom Trail, was called the Blazers. Budget cuts hit the district hard while I was there, and the decision was made to merge the two schools' athletic programs. So, in my usual smart-arsed fashion, I wrote an editorial in the school paper suggesting that the two schools have their names combined to keep everyone happy. Unfortunately, the administration loved my idea, if not my pregame ritual of lighting condoms and tossing them on the field. And to this day, regrettably, we still have:

The Bloom Township Blazing Trojans.

My legacy to my school. Guarantee you that one isn't anywhere else in the country. Oh, and they decided to sack the newspaper after that year as part of the budget cuts.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from western pa and heres some from around here

sorry if any are repeated

western beaver golden beavers

hampton talbots (some kind of dog)

mapletown maples

quaker valley quakers

ambridge bridgers

north east grapepickers

and my alma mater

12 time district 7 (WPIAL) champions (a record) and 2 time state champ

the Aliquippa Quips

home of Ty Law of the new york jets and mike ditka

I forgot all about my original school, the one I attended till 8th grade (cuz it only goes that far)

When they had sports, which was a long time ago, current enrollment for the school K-8 is probably somewhere around 60, i kid you not. I believe it was based off of an old vehicle back in the day:

Nash Ramblers, i think was an awesome name.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Now wait, Millville (NJ) isn't the Flashes, they're the Thunderbolts (named for the airplane). Also in the area are the Vineland Fighting Clan (mascot is a rooster -- they used to be a chicken-raising capital), the Highland Tartans (obvious reason), the Lower Cape May Caper Tigers (which they shorten to Capers), and the Haddon Heights Garnets (what're they gonna do? Sparkle you to death?)

College around here suffers from it too, as you have the Salem County College Oaks, the Stockton College Ospreys, and the Rowan University Profs (short for Professors).

Why do alot of NJ schools have strange mascots.... here are a couple.

Palmyra HS, used to be the Pals (now the Panthers), change a couple years before I went there.

And fear the Bordentown Scotties.... mascot, not an angry scottsman, but a scottish terrier....a small fuzzy dog is just something that strikes fear in the heart of opponents.

I didn't read every post here so sorry if these are repeated...

from ohio:

Middletown Middies

Martins Ferry Purple Riders (purple ferry riders)

Talawanda Braves

Talawanda is my old high school (class of 01) and i just found out recently that there is a difference between a regular brave and a talawanda brave to the tribe that was around here when the high school and miami (now the redhawks) got their names.

talawanda loosly translated means "muddy waters" and a muddy water brave is somenoe who always makes some sort of excuse for not fighting as well as everyone else.

explains the records...

We lived in a town in Florida that has the largest Greek population in the U.S., and they brought the Mediterranean tradition/occupation of sponge diving to the Gulf of Mexico. Hence, the...

Tarpon Springs Spongers

And the town we moved to in Texas had once been quite rural, so they were the...

Lewisville Fighting Farmers

One other team in Texas is also called the Farmers, and appropriately, it is Farmersville. Go figure.

One they could have had some fun with is the town of Forney, Texas. Can you imagine the Forney 'Cators? Probably wouldn't have gone over well in a deeply religious area though. :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I forgot all about my original school, the one I attended till 8th grade (cuz it only goes that far)

When they had sports, which was a long time ago, current enrollment for the school K-8 is probably somewhere around 60, i kid you not. I believe it was based off of an old vehicle back in the day:

Obviously, I don't know if the car is the REASON for the name, but there was a car called a Nash Rambler many moons ago.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

College around here suffers from it too, as you have the Salem County College Oaks, the Stockton College Ospreys, and the Rowan University Profs (short for Professors).

And fear the Bordentown Scotties.... mascot, not an angry scottsman, but a scottish terrier....a small fuzzy dog is just something that strikes fear in the heart of opponents.

Rowan's been the Profs before the Rowan family endowed $10 million to name the school after itself. They were Glassboro State; before that, Glassboro State Teachers' College. They've been the Profs ever since those days. Even better are the brown and athletic (non-metallic) gold school colors, shared locally by Delran High.

There's another school in North Jersey that goes by the Scotties. It was either Scotch Plains or Pompton Plains - my high school (Haddonfield Memorial) beat them for a state soccer title when I was in HS. They had a black Scottie dog also.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Obviously, I don't know if the car is the REASON for the name, but there was a car called a Nash Rambler many moons ago.

The teams at Hudson High School in Wisconsin are called ... the Raiders. Not, sadly, the Hornets.

Semi-interesting school district logo (Hudson is on the St. Croix River opposite the Twin Cities):

hsd.jpg

And the teams at Plymouth High School in Wisconsin are called the Panthers. Not the Valiants, Satellites, Belvederes, Furies, etc.

Packers-2.png

Archived