Cubs bringing names back to home unis?

CubsFanBudMan

As a Dodger fan I thought the idea of removing names was stupid, and I hated it at first. The funny thing is that as the season went on, I noticed something, that without names on the back the uniforms look cleaner, classier and better. There's nothing worse than a long name going from one butt-cheek up the back arching around the number and down the otherside to the other butt-cheek. I'm not saying all teams should be nameless, but some it doesn't hurt. Either that or ban all long names from baseball and basketball! :P

So you wouldn't like a Mackwoiak-to-Grudzielanek-to-Hillenbrand DP combo at Chavez Ravine because their names are long? Interesting. At least you kept Hee Sop Choi!

In Soviet Russia, uniform chooses YOU!

:notworthy: to you, sir. Did anybody have the 25th in the CCSLC "Yakov Smirnov Parody Pool"?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I think the nameless home jerseys were for last year only. It was to commemorate some anniversary.

Please be right.

I hate them not having names. :(

I liked the 1971-1973 A's when the names were straight across the tops of the numbers and not arched.

I also liked the 1960's Reds where they wore the vest jerseys with the name under the number.

As a Dodger fan I thought the idea of removing names was stupid, and I hated it ...

You should have stopped there. I have advocated a fine of $10,000 per player per game in which said player's LAST name (that means you, Ichiro!) plus first initial if appropriate is not on the jersey. For Georgie Porgie and Frank "Money Does Not Buy Competence" McCourt, that would be a fine of $40.5 million per regular season. Add a zero to the game fine for the postseason.

Packers-2.png

I have advocated a fine of $10,000 per player per game in which said player's LAST name (that means you, Ichiro!)

Actually, following Japanese nomenclature, family name precedes personal name. So in Japan it would be written Suzuki Ichiro. Curiously, we flip-flop Japanese names stateside, but leave Chinese names, which follow the same format. This is why Yao Ming's jersey says Yao, and why we refer to Mao Zedong as Mao, Chiang Kai-shek as Chiang, and so forth. It's not that we're on a first-name basis with mid-20th century Chinese figures.

ANyway my point is, Mariners suck

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually, I think the nameless home jerseys were for last year only. It was to commemorate some anniversary.

Please be right.

From what WGN said at the beginning of last year's season, it was just to give the Cubbies a more "old school" look.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Please be right.

From what WGN said at the beginning of last year's season, it was just to give the Cubbies a more "old school" look.

Doubt it was to celebrate anything. It was the 20-year anniversary of the 1984 NL East title, but they did other things to honor that. I never heard it was for one year only. Maybe they'll introduce Howry today and we'll see if they do it again.

As far as guaranteeing titles, what Cubs fan in their right mind would do that (especially after 2003)? But let's stick to the jerseys... there's plenty of boards for Sox-Cubs bashing and vice versa.

Why do the Cubs insist on having unveilings for middle relievers? If and when they sign Furcal, then they should have a big press conference. But for Eyre and Howry? C'mon.

The jerseys? Never got to used to having no names on them, so no biggie. Let's hope that means only one alt this year.

I guess I'm one of the outspoken on here when I say EVERY team in Major League Baseball, even the New York Yankees, should have names on the back of the jerseys. You don't know who they are without them

isn't that why they sell programs and wear numbers? you know, so you can tell one guy from another? ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Why do the Cubs insist on having unveilings for middle relievers? If and when they sign Furcal, then they should have a big press conference. But for Eyre and Howry? C'mon.

Phillies just had one for Abraham Nunez, who is expected to be a platoon player. I think every team does it for every player they sign or trade for during the offseason. Makes a nice photo op for the team, maybe puts them on TV. It's all PR these days.

And Discrim, I agree. No one can read that name from the stands (well, no one in my tax bracket) or on most TV shots (how many are close-ups of their back?). The number is a fine identifier, IMO.

I guess I'm one of the outspoken on here when I say EVERY team in Major League Baseball, even the New York Yankees, should have names on the back of the jerseys. You don't know who they are without them

isn't that why they sell programs and wear numbers? you know, so you can tell one guy from another? ;)

I thought you could tell right off by the name on their backs.

• 2 weeks later...

No Pierre press conference that I'm aware of yet, but the cubs.com mailbag answered the question for us:

I noticed that Scott Eyre had his name on the back of the home jersey presented to him at the Nov. 18 news conference. At first, I thought it might just be for the media. Are the Cubs putting the names back on home jerseys? Personally, I hope they keep the names off. Reminds me of the jerseys I loved as a kid in the 1980s.

-- Jim F., Silvis, Ill.

The Cubs will keep names off the backs of the home jerseys again in 2006.

Also addressed the CAA connection... not sure I'm convinced, though... especially after her footnote. Oh well.

Link to mailbag

No Pierre press conference that I'm aware of yet, but the cubs.com mailbag answered the question for us:

I noticed that Scott Eyre had his name on the back of the home jersey presented to him at the Nov. 18 news conference. At first, I thought it might just be for the media. Are the Cubs putting the names back on home jerseys? Personally, I hope they keep the names off. Reminds me of the jerseys I loved as a kid in the 1980s.

-- Jim F., Silvis, Ill.

Also addressed the CAA connection... not sure I'm convinced, though... especially after her footnote. Oh well.

Link to mailbag

Yeah!!! no names!!

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

-- Jim F., Silvis, Ill.

Link to mailbag

:cursing:

6uXNWAo.png

It continues with Howry:

capt.cx10711292141.cubs_howry_cx107.jpg

This is so casual drunk Cub fan attending his only game of the year @ Wrigley will yell "Hey!! Howry!! You f***** suck!!!!" , which sounds better than "Hey!! Number 62!!! You f***** suck!!!! ,after which knowledgable Cub shakes his head in disgust...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Archived