NY Islanders

Hail2theVctrz

By the way, the Brazilian national soccer team has four stars on its shirts, representing each of their four World Cup championships.

Five, actually.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That is extremely common in soccer (see, for example, Univ. of Indiana, DC United, German National Team (I think)).

I hate to nitpick, but it's actually Indiana University. It's a big deal to IU people. I said "University of Indiana" my first day freshman year and... well, let's just say that was the only time I said that.

I think the stripes on the Islander jerseys for the Stanley Cups are cool (as are IU and Brazil's stars, etc). I wish more teams did stuff like that.

I believe it also stands to represent the four different decades of islanders hockey (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s).

Nope...the stripes were added in 1998.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That is extremely common in soccer (see, for example, Univ. of Indiana, DC United, German National Team (I think)).

I hate to nitpick, but it's actually Indiana University. It's a big deal to IU people. I said "University of Indiana" my first day freshman year and... well, let's just say that was the only time I said that.

I think the stripes on the Islander jerseys for the Stanley Cups are cool (as are IU and Brazil's stars, etc). I wish more teams did stuff like that.

You are absolutely right. One of my best friends from high school went to college there, so I should know better. Also, "Breaking Away" is one of my favorite movies, so one more reason I should know better. :D

BTW -- IMO, Univ. of Indiana sounds better, but that is no consequence.

I know I-tey food when I hear it! It's all them "eenie" foods... zucchini... and linguini... and fettuccine. I want some American food, dammit! I want French fries!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

To this day, I cannot understand the outrage that is the logo change for the Islanders.

Yes, it looks somewhat similar to the Gorton's fisherman logo that adorns fish-sticks boxes.

But look at it (here's a link if you need it)...

I'm not trying to disparage anyone, but it's rendered much better than most of the logos on the concepts board here, including a number of concepts that get  :notworthy:  :notworthy: as party of their feedback.

Of course we'll never know, but if that fisherman had popped up as a concept on the board, at least a few members would've said "send that to the Isles pronto!" or "they should TOTALLY change to that!"

In fact, I had the opportunity to grab one off Ebay just now (in my size, no less!) for $100CDN, and I jumped at it.

Roger and I concluded that it passed all obvious tests of authenticity, and given its history, who would go to the extensive trouble of faking that one.

Another one for my collection of cool and unique hockey jerseys.

...and I don't think anyone in Winnipeg (besides Lee maybe) will know about the "Fishsticks" chant.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

There was also the mix of the old and new before they switched back to the ones they have now:

palffy97sl-1.jpg

They did that for their 25th anniversary season...and let's just say the Isles fans LOVED the old crest being back.

Now, the old crest on that jersey with the lighthouse as a shoulder patch...it actually didn't look THAT bad.

The new logo...um..it was like the New Coke...just destined for failure.

If anything, the 'Sticks should bring the lighthouse back...that was a pretty cool alt. logo....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I remember the Isles bringing the current/old logo back as the crest on the third jersey during the fish stick years. In fact, werent they either the first (or second behind NYR) to have 2 alternates at the same time? It was such an obviously dated look, even for the time, that you knew it wasnt going to last. Not so much the crest itself, but the striping and color pattern on the jersey. It would be interesting to see what the fisherman would look like with updated colors and crested on the current sweater design.

On a side note, I remember that I went to a hockey tournament in Iowa (!) in 1997. In the pro shop of the arena, they were selling fisherman Isles jerseys, $50...buy one get one free!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the shapes of the stripes (diagonal) have a nautical representation, too. For example, Navy enlisted men wear diagonal stripes on their sleeves, similar to to those Islanders uniforms and nothing like the chevrons worn by the Army, Marines or even Air Force.

Archived