NFL HOF

brinkeguthrie

It wont hurt his cause Franco Harris played a year in Seattle, and Tony Dorsett a year in Denver.

What hurst him is who else is elligble this year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here is the full list of the 15 finalists and my humble opinion on whether or not they should be inducted.

Troy Aikman - Quarterback - 1989-2000 Dallas Cowboys

Aikman's a lock. Seriously, will anyone vote no on a pretty boy Cowboys QB with three rings? His numbers weren't that great but he still gets the nod in my book.

Harry Carson - Linebacker - 1976-1988 New York Giants

Carson was good but I think he's borderline. You could make a case either way.

L.C. Greenwood - Defensive End - 1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

See Harry Carson

Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

I gotta say yes. It's hard to figure if an Offensive Lineman is HOF material but I think Grimm fits the bill.

Claude Humphrey - Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles

A good player but I don't see him as a hall of famer.

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver - 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys

Yup. Great receiver on the field. Part time moron off the field but that doesn't matter. He should be in.

Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins (injured reserve - 1984)

See Russ Grimm

John Madden - Coach - 1969-1978 Oakland Raiders

Not really if you consider nothing but his coaching career. He was a consistent winner but he was never in the Noll, Lombardi, Walsh, class of coaches. If you want to take into account all of his other contributions to the NFL then yeah he's a no-brainer.

Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995

Philadelphia Eagles

Not a dominant receiver like Rice or Irvin or Moss but all those catches should be good for something. I say give him the nod.

Warren Moon - Quarterback - 1984-1993 Houston Oilers, 1994-1996 Minnesota Vikings, 1997-1998 Seattle Seahawks, 1999-2000 Kansas City Chiefs

No-Brainer. Put him in.

Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Tough call. I gotta say no but I could be swayed. He was really good but was he dominant?

Thurman Thomas - Running Back - 1988-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Miami Dolphins

Another no-brainer.

Reggie White - Defensive End/Defensive Tackle - 1985-1992 Philadelphia Eagles, 1993-1998 Green Bay Packers, 2000 Carolina Panthers

Absolutely yes.

Rayfield Wright - Tackle - 1967-1979 Dallas Cowboys

Another lineman. Hard to gauge his career. I remember him well. I say yes just because offensive lineman are in short supply in the HOF.

Gary Zimmerman - Tackle - 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos

See Rayfield Wright.

Just my 2 cents. :D

BB52Big.jpg

It always irks me that people refer to it as the "NFL" Hall of Fame. Several other (admittedly dead) leagues are represented there in one form or another, and while the NFL dominates the place its still just wrong. Imagine if the basketball HOF was strictly an NBA affair, with no college or ABA history enshrined in it. You can't. Same for the Football Hall of Fame - it encompasses the lot.

Anyway, enough ranting. My guess is that 4 get in this year: Aikman, Irvin, Moon, and whoever the oldest guy on the list is - they almost always add one dead player or old fart to round out the field, right?

There's one player who deserves to be in the hall but, sadly, doesn't even make the cut of the final 15: Herschel Walker. If you look at his overall career numbers (not just his NFL stats), talk with those who've played both with and against him, and recognize the literal fear and respect he struck in opponents (I mean c'mon, the Dallas Cowboys of the early 1990's were built on the strength of the ridiculous trade they made with Minnesota for him), he'd be a mortal lock.

nav-logo.png

I forgot about Moon. He's in. I hope Thermal makes it too.

Aikman and reggie's family- start writing the speechs now. One won 3 SBs, the other 13 straight pro bowls. Period.

Irvin has a lot of baggage. He's NOT a shoo-in. And this from a lifelong (and former Dallas resident) Cowboys fan.

Ill add my 2 cents

Troy Aikman - Quarterback - 1989-2000 Dallas Cowboys

No Brainer first balloy

Harry Carson - Linebacker - 1976-1988 New York Giants

Carson is long overdue and it would be nice to see him finally get

L.C. Greenwood - Defensive End - 1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

Deserving but there are already so many Steelers in the Hall.

Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

He was the best player on one of the best lines ever and deserves to be in but I think his wait continues

Claude Humphrey - Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles

A good player but no as good as the rest of the finalist.

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver - 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys

Great on the field bad off the field would be a nice parining with Aikman.

Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins (injured reserve - 1984)

Long overdue only player to bridge the 72 Dolphins to Marino Dolphins, long overdue but tough year to get in.

John Madden - Coach - 1969-1978 Oakland Raiders

Needs to be in the fact that he has not been enshrined for 20 years is a joke.

Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995

Philadelphia Eagles

Another player who should have gone in a longtime ago, and deserves to be put in.

Warren Moon - Quarterback - 1984-1993 Houston Oilers, 1994-1996 Minnesota Vikings, 1997-1998 Seattle Seahawks, 1999-2000 Kansas City Chiefs

Its called the Pro Football Hall of Fame, if you include his years in the CFL then its a lock, his NFL years also put him close, but he wont be a first ballot.

Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

One of the best defensive players in the 90s is a lock to be in one day, but perhaps not this year.

Thurman Thomas - Running Back - 1988-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Miami Dolphins

Tough competition deserves to be in, but could fall just short.

Reggie White - Defensive End/Defensive Tackle - 1985-1992 Philadelphia Eagles, 1993-1998 Green Bay Packers, 2000 Carolina Panthers

One of the best ever period.

Rayfield Wright - Tackle - 1967-1979 Dallas Cowboys

I dont see him getting in with this class.

Gary Zimmerman - Tackle - 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos

Very good will be in one day, but not this year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They can only take six right?

Here is my take

1. Troy Aikmen (lock)

2. Reggie White (lock)

3. Thurman Thomas

4. John Madden (overdue)

5. Michael Irvin (over Monk because he played on great teams in big games and won Super Bowls)

6. Harry Carson (overdue)

Watching the Panthers-Giants game, I was thinking the Giants still had better linebackers on the sidelines (LT and Carson) than they did in the game

OK, here is a question.. who ISNT in the pro football HoF who should be? Isn't everybody in there? i thought it was FAR less selective than the Baseball HoF.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't think there's a very strong case for Madden as a coach. As a broadcaster, yes, but not as a coach.

And I think it's a real shame Roger Wehrli missed the cut of finalists this year. He was one of the top 2 or 3 DB's in the entire NFL in the 70's but most of his career was spent playing on pretty bad Cardinal teams.

5. Michael Irvin (over Monk because he played on great teams in big games and won Super Bowls)

Art Monk in the post season

1983 Washington Redskins: NFC Champions

1987 Washington Redskins: Super Bowl Champions

1991 Washington Redskins: Super Bowl Champions

1984, 1986, 1990, 1992, Washington Redskins: NFL Playoffs.

Seems to me that Monk played on some pretty good teams too.

Monk is number 5 all time in receptions, and number 9 all time in receiving yards.

So why should Irvin get the nod over Monk?

BB52Big.jpg

Michael Irvin:

1991: ProBowl

1992: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1993: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1994: ProBowl, NFC East Champs

1995: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1996: NFC East Champs

91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 98 : Playoffs

Recorded 1,000-yard seasons in all but one year from 1991-1998

Set NFL record eleven 100-yard games, 1995

750 career receptions for 11,904 yards, 65 TDs

Named to NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1990s

CIDesignSig.png

Michael Irvin:

Irvin was not a part of Dallas' playoff team in '96. I can still remember that tacky suit he wore on the sidelines duing their playoff loss to Carolina that year.

6uXNWAo.png

Michael Irvin:

1991: ProBowl

1992: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1993: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1994: ProBowl, NFC East Champs

1995: ProBowl, NFC East Champs, SuperBowl Champions

1996: NFC East Champs

Recorded 1,000-yard seasons in all but one year from 1991-1998

Set NFL record eleven 100-yard games, 1995

750 career receptions for 11,904 yards, 65 TDs

Named to NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1990s

I'm not saying that Irvin should not get in I am just saying that his career is not any greater than Monk's. If I had a vote they would both go in but there is no good argument on why you should pick one over the other. That's all. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Michael Irvin:

Irvin was not a part of Dallas' playoff team in '96. I can still remember that tacky suit he wore on the sidelines duing their playoff loss to Carolina that year.

But he was part of the team that went to the playoffs...although he did get injured late in the season...he recorded 64 receptions for 962 yds...only 2 TDs but still...yard wise a decent season having missed the last 3 (I believe) games...

CIDesignSig.png

Who isn't in who should be?

Start with Jerry Kramer. Voted to the guard position on the NFL all-50 year team in 69. Key offensive lineman on the Lombardi Packers. Overcame multiple injuries to return as starter. Threw possibly best-known block in history in the Ice Bowl.

Why isn't he in? Jealousy over his book and a feeling there were too many 60s Packers in the Hall. Both Hornung and Taylor are in - who blocked for them?

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived