Cheerleading

chanelguccilove

Cheerleading isn't a sport it's dancing/singing. Cause if cheerleading is a sport then typing this message isa sport it takes concentration and I have to move my fingers. Don't get me wrong I can't even touch my toes, but cheerleading isn't a sport. If it is then the Backstreet Boys are singing and dancing therefore boy bands are sports.

untitled-6.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boxing is a sport because one fighter can score points at the expense of the other fighter. Some fights are scored based upon statistics, like percentage of punches landed, or number of knockouts. It's also a sport because those participating in it compete head-to-head. And there is also a referee who may decide to deduct points from a combatant if infractions are committed.

In cheerleading & dance competitions, participants don't compete simultaneously. It's one routine at a time. And what one troupe scores has no bearing on the scores of another.

Boxing is also a very corrupt sport, but it's a sport nonetheless.

If the only way to score points/positions/medals is based upon an arbitrary decision of the judge, it's not a sport. If it's one of many ways to define the victor, then it's a sport.

So,

Cheerleading/Dance/Competitive Aerobics/Figure Skating: not a sport (although participants are athletes).

Boxing, Competitive Wrestling: Sport

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Cheerleading isn't a sport it's dancing/singing. Cause if cheerleading is a sport then typing this message isa sport it takes concentration and I have to move my fingers. Don't get me wrong I can't even touch my toes, but cheerleading isn't a sport. If it is then the Backstreet Boys are singing and dancing therefore boy bands are sports.

thank you ever so much... you truly brought a new point to be debated on this... I am glad that you thought that through and brought something new to the table for us all to comprehend... oh wait you didnt... then thank you for no argument... like seriously... thank you very much for typing so very much and saying nothing...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

see now JP knows how to bring a point to this... agreed while boxing is head to head... and the points are still arbitrary to the calls of the ringside judges... and you are right about the corruption i pretty much gave up on boxing after Holyfield vs Lewis and that :censored:ty decision... but needless to say the points are still arbitrary to the judges calls... especially in olympic boxing... face it at the end of the day all boxing fights could be rigged like pro wrestling yet would still be called a sport

but i think alot of you if not all do not realize what gets scored its not like figure skating or gymnastics where there is an artistic component... each routine must contain certain sections tumbling, jumps... what order and what difficulty are up to the coach but alot of the weighting relies on difficulty and safety... there are certain things that are illegal that will cost you... have a person that only makes their standing back tuck clean 70% of the time... best not put that in there as if they dont look safe you suffer because of it...

I helped draw up the guideline for the Saskatchewan Cheerleading Association there is a serperate section for dance and for cheerleading because they are 2 seperate animals... by the definition of sport we are a sport...

get it, got it, good

ps please dont call us a troupe... we arent circus performers... lol

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

If Ringette isn't considered a sport than girls who aren't actually skating and beating people up can't be one either..

i agree that golf is not a sport...

but i also have this theory that sports are things named by men in which men participate in them...so basically if it's not a sport then men obviously do not participate to the full extent of it...

If Ringette isn't considered a sport than girls who aren't actually skating and beating people up can't be one either..

i agree that golf is not a sport...

but i also have this theory that sports are things named by men in which men participate in them...so basically if it's not a sport then men obviously do not participate to the full extent of it...

That's not neccesarily true.

Gymnastics, generally considered a "chick" "sport", was a pretty strong male sport for most of the beginning of the 20th Century. The same can be said for diving, another "artistic sport".

Gymnastics is actually one of the few things that started out as a predominately male "sport" and became more popular as a female sport within the past 20 or so years, especially amongst younger athletes. That being said, the same can be said for field hockey, especially here in the US -- I don't know of any high school that has a boy's field hockey team. If that's a "chick" sport, it's definately more of a sport in my mind that Cheerleading.

That isn't to say that Cheerleaders who flip and twirl aren't athletes. The same can be said for gymnasts and figure skaters and other participants of these pseudo-sports. That's athletic. But sports aren't about subjectivity. If I want to see something judged, I'll go to a courthouse and watch a murder trial.

That being said, not all of these pseudo-sports are dominated by women. Two words. X-Games. Trick skateboarding? No. Halfpipe? No. Freestyle BMX? No.

Street Luge? YES!

philly.png

not really on topic necessarily, but who cares....who has the best job at USC? It ain't Pete Carroll.

cheerleader-injury.jpg

anyway- i think just because something requires athletisism - it doesn't make it a sport.

look at it this way- it takes a lot of athletisism to be a cat burglar, but that isn't a sport. the illustrations on this topic are endless.

bass fishing isn't a sport, yet they have competitions.

Well there's something we can all agree on :D

AM.gif

thank you ever so much... you truly brought a new point to be debated on this... I am glad that you thought that through and brought something new to the table for us all to comprehend... oh wait you didnt... then thank you for no argument... like seriously... thank you very much for typing so very much and saying nothing...

I suggest attending a cheerleading practice then you can have a solid opinion...

I suggest attending a cheerleading practice then you can have a solid opinion...

interesting- so we can't have an opinion if we haven't "walked a mile in their shoes"?

if that is the case 95% of the people on this board can't make critical comments about football coaches, the president, the baker down the street who sold you a burnt bagel, etc etc...

no one is saying cheerleading doesn't take a lot of athleticism and agility- the point being brought to the table is whether or not it should be considered a sport. I personally think not, a few here think so- i have a nose and so do you...

just because i have never cheered doesn't mean I can't have an opinion in the matter.

(to clarify- i understand that you weren't directing your comments at me, but even so...)

This is a good debate.

But we have to go back to basics, and understand what exactly a sport is.

Three charachteristics of a sport

1. Physical Activity, (where as you can athlethically get better by working physically)

2. Which is governed by a set of rules or customs

3. And is engaged competitively

Chess follows rules 2, and 3, but not 1.

Golf follows all three and hence, that's why it's accepted as a sport.

The appropriate question to ask would have been whether cheerleading competitions that you see on ESPN would be considered a sport, because an NFL/NBA cheerleader is more of dancer.

This is a good debate.

But we have to go back to basics, and understand what exactly a sport is.

Three charachteristics of a sport

1. Physical Activity, (where as you can athlethically get better by working physically)

2. Which is governed by a set of rules or customs

3. And is engaged competitively

Chess follows rules 2, and 3, but not 1.

Golf follows all three and hence, that's why it's accepted as a sport.

The appropriate question to ask would have been whether cheerleading competitions that you see on ESPN would be considered a sport, because an NFL/NBA cheerleader is more of dancer.

More questions for this debate...

Is karate/tae-kwon-do a sport? I guess there is some combative karate, but the shows that just have the individual skills...is that sport? People who do karate are tremendously athletic.

Is snowboarding a sport - all drug jokes aside - ?? It takes probably the same amount of athletic ability as cheerleading to go down a half-pipe or a park...points are awarded by judges...and only one snowboarder goes at a time.

What about skiers who do the long jump, whatever that's called, and freestyle jumping in the Olympics? Is that sport, or stupidity :D ?

Also, it seems to me that people are confusing literal "cheerleading" (leading a cheer, go defense!) with actual, physical cheerleading, such as tosses, spins, flips, etc.

I would say that college cheerleading is much more of a sport than high school or pro cheerleading. I've been to plenty of high school games, and most of the time they don't do diddly squat that can be considered a sport. They mostly just dance - at least in CO. Same with pro games. However, in college, it's much more rigorous, and much more athletic ability is needed, so therefore I would say it is apt to be a sport, at least on the collegiate level.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived