The name of Chicago's 2nd NFL team

doctorpeligro

I know it's a tad early, but I've been thinking about this topic since Mayor Daley suggested he might entice an existing franchise to be the city's 2nd team as a way to justify the cost of an Olympic Stadium. He specifically mentioned Al Davis & the Raiders, but by my count, there are 6 real possibilities for relocation:

1. Raiders

2. Chargers

3. Bills

4. Vikings

5. Jaguars

6. Saints

Each one of these teams either has a lease that will expire in the next few years or has a lease with an escape clause. Realistically, Chicago would only have shot at a 2nd team if Greater Los Angeles already had two teams, which means it wouldn't happen for a while. And any 2nd team in Chicago would have to be in the AFC, either an existing AFC team or a team that could be realigned into the AFC. Here are my possible names:

1. Chicago Machine

2. Chicago Syndicate

3. Chicago Firefighters

4. Chicago Tigers (reference to defunct NFL team)

5. Chicago Defenders (nod to city's historic African American newspaper)

6. Chicago Flames (already in use by U of Illinois - Chicago)

Thoughts?

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Raiders

- Too rich in history, staying in California.

2. Chargers

- If they go anywhere they're going back to LA.

3. Bills

- Not a chance in hell my Bills are leaving Buffalo.

4. Vikings

- The biggest possibility of this list, the HumphreyDome isn't the best place in the world for football, and creates a division rivalry with the Bears.

5. Jaguars

- What's wrong with the team in Jacksonville?

6. Saints

- LA and San Antonio are more likely than a second team in Chicago.

stoneraizersig.jpg

The only was the Bills will move if Ralph Wilson dies before he sells part of the team. His daughters don't want the team. It will probably go to the highest bidder

when he dies unless he sell part of it first. I think he can't add anything to his will

stating who he wants to buy the team.

I don't think Chicago will get a second team unless the NFL gets a major expansion

LA, San Antonio, Las Vegas?, Mexico?, Toronto could get a team before Chicago gets a second.

saBS.png

The only was the Bills will move if Ralph Wilson dies before he sells part of the team. His daughters don't want the team. It will probably go to the highest bidder

when he dies unless he sell part of it first. I think he can't add anything to his will

stating who he wants to buy the team.

I don't think he can say who he wants to buy the team, but I think he can say in his will that whoever buys the team must keep it in Buffalo.

stoneraizersig.jpg

If the Bills were to move out of Buffalo, me and the rest of the Buffalo fans would throw such a big fit we'd make the Cleveland Browns relocation incident of the 90s look like a minor fracas between the fans and management. Seriously, the Governor would probably have to call in the National guard.

But anyway, I think, that, since the Bears are named after the Cubs, I think it'd only make sense to have a second Chicago team be named after the White sox. Let's see, we could have:

White Helmets

White Pads

White Jock Straps

White Gloves

White Cleats

White Mouth Guards

....Okay, maybe not.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

First off this is never, never going to happen. Daley says Chicago money would not be used to fund the stadium or the rest of the Olympics.

Yup it'd be downstate money paying for CHICAGO's team and CHICAGO's olympics. If they even tried this, there is a good chance blood would be spilled at the hands of angry downstaters who were tired of paying for everything Chicagowise.

The teams that I see in danger of moving anywhere are

Vikings

Chargers

Jaguars

Saints

As for names How 'bout

Oppressors

Politicians

Feudal Lords

Mob

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the Bills were to move add Ralph Wilson Stadium to the growing list of Buffalo's

unused buildings that just take up space and do nothing, unless Turner Gill and UB becomes a powerhouse, moves to the Big East and needs a bigger stadium to hold its rapidly improving football program :rolleyes:

saBS.png

Ahh...tortured Bills fans. I, like many, are worried that not only are we stuck with a losing team for the foreseable future, but we may very well lose our team too. My biggest hope? That when Wilson dies (any day now, huh?), the Wegmans or Galisano swoop in and buy the team. They would definitely keep it in Western New York.

Bummer about the empty buildings in Buffalo though. There are indeed way too many and I, for one, don't like visiting.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Ahh...tortured Bills fans. I, like many, are worried that not only are we stuck with a losing team for the foreseable future, but we may very well lose our team too. My biggest hope? That when Wilson dies (any day now, huh?), the Wegmans or Galisano swoop in and buy the team. They would definitely keep it in Western New York.

Bummer about the empty buildings in Buffalo though. There are indeed way too many and I, for one, don't like visiting.

Mabye Bob Rich also???

saBS.png

Cappital92 is my brother, and I think the Baltimore-Washington area has enough teams already if not too many

He is for the Washington teams but I love Baltimore-Maryland teams with all of my heart. :woot:

bmoresig.png

'and they don't question what I say cause I'm a ladies Pimp"

I don't think it'll ever happen because the Bears at Soldier field are fairly central on the North-South city road grid (around 1500 South, in downtown), it wouldn't work like it did in the 20s (and 30s?) when the Cardinals were in town-- then, the Bears were playing at Wrigley Field (Addison St., 3600 N.) and the Cardinals were playing at Old Comiskey Park (35th st., 3500 S.). A geographic divide wouldn't occur, and it would be a mess. Personally I'd be hesitant to welcome a new team, even if the Bears continue to dissapoint season after season. Besides, another sports team would only bring even more routine dissapointment to the town-- I'm proud to support my mediocre teams, but the ones I have are enough!

The only advantage of an indoor football stadium would be a chance at the occasional Super Bowl (hey, if Detroit can, why not us?):)

I never realized that the Cubs are literally as far north as the Sox are south-- that worked out pretty evenly....

If the Bills were to move out of Buffalo, me and the rest of the Buffalo fans would throw such a big fit we'd make the Cleveland Browns relocation incident of the 90s look like a minor fracas between the fans and management.

Come on Man. Don't try to compare Bills fans to Browns fans. I've seen how empty your stadium has been in resent years. And don't get me started on those awesome crowds they had there in the early to mid 1980's. Bills fans only show up when their winning. So no, I don't think the outcry for the Bills if they were to move would be anywhere close to what the Browns got.

But will never find out because the Bills aren't going anywhere.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

The Bears have territorial rights to Chicago where the NFL is concerned.

Not even Al Davis' lawsuits have changed this.

The Bears will NEVER give permission for a second team to enter the market; they couldn't wait for the Cardinals to leave town in 1960, even though the team generally sucked and didn't draw flies.

Even if the Bears did, by some stroke of sheer stupidity, allow a second team, it would have to indemnify the Bears to the tune of probably $100 million or so, which no one in their right mind would do.

If Daley's talking about a second NFL team for Chicago, he's smokin' something he should be sharing with others.

nav-logo.png

The chances of Chicago getting a second team go up if the NFL fails to maintain comprehensive revenue sharing. If the league gives teams an incentive to be located in large or middle markets, the Bills and Jaguars would be at a disadvantage in their current locations. In the case of L.A. ending up with two teams, the NFL has stated on a number of occasions that it expects L.A. to have two teams. It would certainly be easier to finance a New Coliseum if there were 2 NFL teams there (a la the new Giants/Jets stadium). And I don't think that a "territorial rights" fee in the neighborhood of $100 million would necessarily be cost prohibitive. The value of a franchise would increase by at least that much if it were to move from a small market to the nation's 3rd largest market. Based on the 2000 census (http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab03.pdf), there are currently 14 metropolitan areas that are larger than Buffalo that don't have an NFL team. In the case of Jacksonville, it's 16 larger metro areas. At least the Bills draw well; the Jaguars have had difficulty selling tickets, even with a playoff team.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Archived