Real or Fake?

rmackman

05_1.JPG

69_1.JPG

01_1.JPG

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

That's because in 1992 the Dolphins had screened on numbers and no NFL sheild n the neck.

marinodan57.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Not real.

The outline on the numbers are a little thicker on the replica as well as shaped just a bit differently on the corners. That's how I see it at least.

Good catch on the corners, Curt. Those are definitely off compared to the actual.

Looks like the sleeve striping is off as well. The one for sale is aqua-orange-aqua, while the posted photo has only one aqua stripe.

I think you're right about the numbers. The sleeve stripe on Dan's jersey is only aqua because he used to cut his sleeves off above the orange stripe because he liked short sleeves. The longer ones got in the way of his throwing. Man I hate when this stuff is too good to be true!

spacer.png

The authentics you used to be able to order from the proline catalog all had that same number font. So it may indeed be authentic, but not "on-field" authentic (for lack of a better term.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Man, I thought this was going to be another Anna Benson thread.

- sigh -

Authentic or not, if the price is right and you like the jersey then you should buy it anyway. If the price is right solely in the context of it being genuine and not just a cool jersey to have then that's an entirely different story.

I've got the NFL Style Guide sheet for those uniforms...I'll do some comparison as well.

It could be the quality of the photograph and/or lighting, but the colors look WAY off...like they were trying to match the colors to the older Dolphins' set; not the colors of that era. The Orange used for those unis exactly matched the Buccaneers' Florida Orange...

Probably an authentic jersey with non-authentic customizing, which was typical of the "Pro Line" collection in the 80's and early 90's. Those numbers are heat-pressed and are a block font. Dolphins jerseys of that era would have a Varsity font (as shown in the picture) and they would have been screened, not heat-pressed.

The way to tell that these numbers are heat-pressed is because they give off a glare. The Dallas Cowboys from 1975 to the early 80's (the font that is similar to what the Washington Nationals are using) and the Rams jerseys from about 1975-2000 are other examples of heat-pressed numbers and have a shine to them. Screened numbers have a flat finish. It was much easier for a company to customize a blank jersey by using a heat press than to go to the trouble of silk-screening a specific player's name and number.

Probably an authentic jersey with non-authentic customizing, which was typical of the "Pro Line" collection in the 80's and early 90's. Those numbers are heat-pressed and are a block font. Dolphins jerseys of that era would have a Varsity font (as shown in the picture) and they would have been screened, not heat-pressed.

The way to tell that these numbers are heat-pressed is because they give off a glare. The Dallas Cowboys from 1975 to the early 80's (the font that is similar to what the Washington Nationals are using) and the Rams jerseys from about 1975-2000 are other examples of heat-pressed numbers and have a shine to them. Screened numbers have a flat finish. It was much easier for a company to customize a blank jersey by using a heat press than to go to the trouble of silk-screening a specific player's name and number.

So it sounds to me that a truly authentic jersey from 1985-1994 in the NFL (for some teams) is almost impossible to come by nowadays let alone then. And that if you can find one you should grab it.

spacer.png

I think some of the Dolphins also had Helvetica lettering for the nameplates, similar to the Bills, but not as Bold. I don't remember the years, but I'm pretty sure it's of the same style that Marino is wearing in that picture.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Down with Jeff Gertzman.

To contribute: It could be the picture but the colors look off to me as well and the second (orange) outline looks a bit thicker then it should be.

The inside of the 3 is also cut like a square on the picture, but rounded on the jersey.

(Are we supposed to be comparing the two?)

Untitled-1.png

Archived