Seahawks helmets

seahawk9

Has anyone ever noticed how much difference in color the Seahawks helmets and jersey color looks in different lighting situations ? Watching highlights and noticed when they are playing indoors in a dome (at the Rams this year), the helmet color is a much more light, metellic, dusty blue than when they play outdoors in sunlight or outdoors at night or in the shade.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone ever noticed how much difference in color the Seahawks helmets and jersey color looks in different lighting situations ? Watching highlights and noticed when they are playing indoors in a dome (at the Rams this year), the helmet color is a much more light, metellic, dusty blue than when they play outdoors in sunlight or outdoors at night or in the shade.

What did you expect?

Yeah getting the colors of two materials as different as uniforms and helmets to match at every possible visual angle is not realistic.

This is 2006!! If we can put a man on the moon, we should be able to match plastic helmet shell and synthetic jersey materials, damnit!! :upside:

seahawk9, next time you have a chance, see how different your car looks in the sunlight versus under street lights. The source of lighting makes a big difference.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

No I mean this is a vast difference. Example is for instance, the Steelers helmets look just as black indoors as out. White helmets look the same, Packers helmets look the same. The Seahawks are very light blue metellic indoors but turn much darker, non-metellic outside.

No I mean this is a vast difference.  Example is for instance, the Steelers helmets look just as black indoors as out.  White helmets look the same, Packers helmets look the same.  The Seahawks are very light blue metellic  indoors but turn much darker, non-metellic outside.

That is because the Seahawks use a metallic paint/shell, unlike the other teams/examples you cited (who might use pearl, but not metallic). Metallic finishes change dramatically in different conditions.

To use the car example again, my wife used to have a car that was about the color of the Nets' blue/gray (?) unis, with a metallic finish. (We argued regularly over whether it was blue (her) or gray (me), but that is a story for another day. I know I was right, since all of our friends agreed with me. :P ). In bright sunlight, there was a blue tint to it (though it still looked gray!!), but at night it was a fairly rich gray, with none of the blue tint showing through at all (and the metallic sheen vastly reduced).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

No I mean this is a vast difference.  Example is for instance, the Steelers helmets look just as black indoors as out.  White helmets look the same, Packers helmets look the same.  The Seahawks are very light blue metellic  indoors but turn much darker, non-metellic outside.

That is because the Seahawks use a metallic paint/shell, unlike the other teams/examples you cited (who might use pearl, but not metallic). Metallic finishes change dramatically in different conditions.

Just to add, the Steelers are still "old school" and use helmets molded from black plastic, so their shade doesn't change at all. It used to be very apparent when Jacksonville was in the same division and they played twice per year - the Steelers helmets were "plain" while the Jaguars were "pearl".

Not all white helmets look the same; for example the Dolphins helmet has the "pearl" finish; the Colts used to be pearl but I think they went back to plain white plastic shells when they brought back the darker royal blue and gray facemasks for the 2004 season.

Hahaha, njb513. Is funny joke! I like!

The metallic finish is part of what makes Seattle's helmet so cool. I love the slight color changing property of it. Although that only works with certain colors, like their Pacific blue.

The Cowboys' pants are notorious for this too. I wish they'd return to the all-cotton/non-shiny pants like the Giants.

235-12-44081013028o.jpg

White helmets are somewhat different indoors and at night, versus daytime. I think we touched on this earlier in the year, when it looked like the Arizona Cardinals' helmets were a sort of cream color. But it's just the natural vs. artificial light that causes the discrepancy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't this start with the current Oregon helmets?  I remember when they first came out that one of the features was that they would always look different depending on the angle and lighting.

I don't know if it started with Oregon, but the Ducks certainly got the ball rolling. They use a custom paint on their current helmets, it's not simply the "metallic green" that can be found on retail versions of the helmet.

I just remember when OU (edit:to clarify, Oklahoma) switched to the metallic paint - I thought it was the coolest helmet ever.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I just remember when OU switched to the metallic paint - I thought it was the coolest helmet ever.

I don't really like the O for some reason, but the color is pretty cool. Too bad the rest of their various uniforms are so :censored: up.

It was disconcerting to find out that the Steelers would wear their road whites as the home team in the Super Bowl.

Is it me, or is that all blue from top to bottom Seahawk uniform just too darn ugly. Too much blue. Either go with the gray pants of old, or a nice shade of green.

It was disconcerting to find out that the Steelers would wear their road whites as the home team in the Super Bowl.

Is it me, or is that all blue from top to bottom Seahawk uniform just too darn ugly. Too much blue. Either go with the gray pants of old, or a nice shade of green.

all blue beats out the god awfull white jeresys they have.

plus since they been wearing the white ones all playoff long and players are overly supersticous why change?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Archived