Jets-Giants

NoHoJoe

Should The JNew York Jets and New York Giants be required to be called the New JerseyGiants and New Jersey Jets in after the new stadium opens in 2009 ?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right now, the only NFL team in New York State is the Buffalo Bills. If the new stadium opening goes ahead as scheduled in 2009, then the New York Giants and New York Jets should be required to change to the New Jersey Jets and New Jersey Gaints repsectively.

I say......IT IS TIME FOR THE JETS AND GIANTS TO GO BACK TO NYC!!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

They play 6 miles outside of New York City. It's different than the Cowboys in Irving (Arlington with their new stadium), Buffalo playing in Orchard Park, the Lions when they played in the Silverdome or the Rams playing in Anahiem back when they were in LA.

I don't see the big deal. Do you have something against New Jersey?

As a militant New Jerseian, i have no problem with both teams keeping the NYC moiniker.

You must understand that NE New Jersey is basically the 6th borough, as much as i hate the arrogance of Manhattenites, the point still remains, that the sphere of influence that NYC has does encompass NE New Jersey.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't think they should have to and the only reason they call themselvs the New York Jets and New York Giants is for advertising and to get a bigger fanbase

I would like the Bills to be the Orchard Park Bills because I actually live in O.P. a suburb of Buffalo.

saBS.png

As a militant New Jerseian, i have no problem with both teams keeping the NYC moiniker.

You must understand that NE New Jersey is basically the 6th borough, as much as i hate the arrogance of Manhattenites, the point still remains, that the sphere of influence that NYC has does encompass NE New Jersey.

More than that; the NYC sphere of influence extends halfway downstate! And it stops there only because the rest of New Jersey is within Philadelphia's sphere of influence.

Honestly, they're always going to be the NY Jets and Giants, no matter if they play in the city, North Jersey, Connecticut or Long Island. New York is the dominant city in the area, it is the cultural and financial center of the area, and most of the people who live there do so because of NYC, either directly or indirectly. You can see the skyscrapers of Manhattan from the parking lot; it's not like they play an hour outside the city (like the Lions did in Pontiac). And when was the last Dallas Cowboys game played in Dallas? Irving, Arlington... NOT Dallas. When the 76ers and Flyers were considering crossing the Delaware and playing in Camden, you can bet they'd still be the Philadelphia 76ers and Flyers. Why? Name recognized around the world as a famous city... or America's Murder Capital? Your choice. <_<

As another resident New Jerseyite (less militant than JQK, but that's not saying much... :P ) from the other end of the state, we realize that much of the state's identity is its role as the suburbs of 2 of the 5 largest cities in America, and as a conduit between them (as well between New England and DC). So be it - when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them "Jersey... just east of Philadelphia."

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

If they are in the New York metropolitan area, then there's absolutely no problem calling them the New York Giants and New York Jets.

Teams represent not just the cities, but the metropolitan areas, and often beyond.

That makes no sense. I live in southern New Hampshire, which by most definitions falls well within the Boston metropolitan area. But wouldn't you scratch your head if the Red Sox moved to NH and they were still called the Boston Red Sox?

Sure, teams represent larger areas than the cities they are named for, but that doesn't mean they should be named accordingly.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

That makes no sense. I live in southern New Hampshire, which by most definitions falls well within the Boston metropolitan area. But wouldn't you scratch your head if the Red Sox moved to NH and they were still called the Boston Red Sox?

Sure, teams represent larger areas than the cities they are named for, but that doesn't mean they should be named accordingly.

Your example has one crucial difference from the Giants/Jets situation. Everyone and their mother believes that ALL of New Jersey is a suburb of New York City, so the connection isn't hard to make that a team can be 6 miles outside New York City and still be called the New York Giants, even if they play in New Jersey. Besides, when there've been several teams using a NJ/NY name (USFL, XFL, MLS), the connection is ingrained. Those of us in South Jersey are out of the NYC area of influence, and are part of metro Philadelphia, but we get lumped in with NYC all the same.

Far, far fewer people know that New Hampshire is anywhere near Boston. Most people are dumb, and probably picture "New England" as one giant region. I'd bet if you polled people on the street outside of New England, more than half couldn't name the 6 states that comprise New England. So if the Sox moved to New Hampshire or Rhode Island, it'd blow the minds of your average American moron ( :flagusa: ... :unsure:) because they likely don't realize that New Hampshire is extremely close to Boston, and is within Boston's sphere of influence.

I'm not saying you're right, but consider the intellect of the people you're trying to reach. There isn't an objective difference between the Giants/Jets and your Red Sox case, but there is a readily apparent subjective difference.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

If the Boston Red Sox moved anywhere from Fenway Park, unless it was a new Fenway Park that was shaped nearly exactly like the present Fenway Park, I would really be scratching my head.

If the Red Sox moved to New Hampshire, maybe we could call them the Boston Red Sox of New Hampshire.

maybe we could call them the Boston Red Sox of New Hampshire.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone and their mother believes that ALL of New Jersey is a suburb of New York City, so the connection isn't hard to make that a team can be 6 miles outside New York City and still be called the New York Giants, even if they play in New Jersey.

That part of New Jersey is a suburb of New York City, by any measure.

Well its not going to be the Maryland Redskings... but shouldnt it at least be the Washington DC Redskins... newsflash eastcoasters, there is already a Washington, thats an actual state.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Everyone and their mother believes that ALL of New Jersey is a suburb of New York City, so the connection isn't hard to make that a team can be 6 miles outside New York City and still be called the New York Giants, even if they play in New Jersey.

as a person who hasn't lived anywhere except for Florida and Michigan, I look at New Jersey as slit in half...

North half is NYC's claim

South half is Philly's claim

as a person who hasn't lived anywhere except for Florida and Michigan, I look at New Jersey as slit in half...

North half is NYC's claim

South half is Philly's claim

And as a native of New Jersey that would be correct. Trenton is more or less the dividing line.

Well its not going to be the Maryland Redskings... but shouldnt it at least be the Washington DC Redskins... newsflash eastcoasters, there is already a Washington, thats an actual state.

But the City name is Washington. It's in the District of Columbia (even though Washington is the only city in the district). That's like say the New York, NY Yankees or the Boston, MA Red Sox.

Archived