logo Ripoff (Binghamton Bearcats)

Bearcats

I think Chuck is trying to pull a fast one. The only differences I see are the color, font and MINOR differences in the shading in the ears of the primary. Good luck calling this an "inspired by" logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

what are you talking about, one is red, the other green, totally different. :P

Indeed. Red and green are opposities on the color wheel. Therefore, the red logo is absolutely nothing like the Binghamton Bearcats logo.

What exactly is a bearcat, anyway? I've been to Binghamton University, and outside of the lame pawprints all over the campus, I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of any large animals there, let alone a bearcat.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have no problem with a High School using a College or Pro logo as it's identity it happens quite frequently. The only issue I have is if someone claimed to have created it specifically for the School and was paid for it.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure "Chuck" didn't create my University's logo, which I don't think is that bad actually.

buffalo_sig.png

It looks like Chuck used the auto trace feature in illustrator and just added his own text. That's the only reason those logos look so crappy compared to the originals. Anyway, a bearcat is a tree-dwelling animal found almost exclusively in Asia, mostly in the Philippines. It's a rodent-like animal, and no, there aren't any in New York, except in the zoo. Pretty cool animal.

bearcat2.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

what are you talking about, one is red, the other green, totally different.  :P

Indeed. Red and green are opposities on the color wheel. Therefore, the red logo is absolutely nothing like the Binghamton Bearcats logo.

What exactly is a bearcat, anyway? I've been to Binghamton University, and outside of the lame pawprints all over the campus, I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of any large animals there, let alone a bearcat.

Then you haven't seen our new state of the art Events Center.

Binghamton is building from the ground up ? literally. Their facility is one of the most beautiful mid-sized facilities in the nation, and Binghamton provided the most efficient and well-run conference tournament I've ever attended."

- Kyle Whelliston, ESPN.com

Alumni Tony Kornheiser had this to say about our mascot...

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/...ng-hassidim.htm

buffalo_sig.png

I love Tony Kornheiser, but he's wrong. The bearcat is real, and there's one right up there. 'Bearcat' is more of a common name for the animl, which is more commonly known by a different, more scientific name. This name escapes me at the moment (the guy from the zoo told me, but I have no idea). Tony, Tammy, and the Alumni Journal are dumb. A bearcat is not a cross-bred cat and bear.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I love Tony Kornheiser, but he's wrong. There's a bearcat right up there. Bearcat is more of a common name. It's more commonly known by a different, more scientific name. This name escapes me at the moment (the guy from the zoo told me, but I have no idea). But it is real.

Good call tempest. I think it's a Binturong.

Courtesy of wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearcat

buffalo_sig.png

I love Tony Kornheiser, but he's wrong. The bearcat is real, and there's one right up there. 'Bearcat' is more of a common name for the animl, which is more commonly known by a different, more scientific name. This name escapes me at the moment (the guy from the zoo told me, but I have no idea). Tony, Tammy, and the Alumni Journal are dumb. A bearcat is not a cross-bred cat and bear.

Yeah, but I seriously doubt that when they picked the name and designed the logo, they had some-little-known rat-thing that lives in Asia in mind. Especially if you compare your pic with the Bearcat logo.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Binturong. No wonder I didn't remember. They probably didn't know it was a real animal, sure, but they may have. I mean, there are a handful of logos that really don't look all that much like their real life counterparts. Bucky Badger comes to mind. Come to think of it, a badger and a binturong are pretty similar.

thats cheesy if the person who made it was paid to make a logo for specifically one school. If they werent paid to keep it by themselves, I dont really see a problem, I mean, not like the schools are next to eachother. The logo our school has adopted for us i noticed was used by a 2A school in our state, and Im sure it is used by more schools because I think its just some athletic supply companies logo(like one of the many you can choose from to put on uniforms and such). I dont think we even paid to use it, not sure of the details.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

thats cheesy if the person who made it was paid to make a logo for specifically one school. If they werent paid to keep it by themselves, I dont really see a problem, I mean, not like the schools are next to eachother. The logo our school has adopted for us i noticed was used by a 2A school in our state, and Im sure it is used by more schools because I think its just some athletic supply companies logo(like one of the many you can choose from to put on uniforms and such). I dont think we even paid to use it, not sure of the details.

Yeah I have no problem with the school using it. I just have a problem with Chuck taking credit for making it.

buffalo_sig.png

I've always thought that bearcat, cougar, mountain lion, catamount, jaguar, panther, and puma were all just different names for the same animal, with puma being the preferred term.

Panthers and jaguars are two names for the same animal, albeit the the former with different pigmentation than the latter. The Florida panther is different, and also nearly extinct.

Catamounts, mountain lions, pumas, and cougars are four names for the same animal. I think the preferrered term depends on where you live. I like "mountain lion," and I'm from upstate NY.

Bearcat -- for American purposes -- is made up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm really getting sick of these schools getting some marketing company doing all this "research" and coming up with these crappy mascots that have nothing to do with the school. What ever happened to names that actually have a real story behind them and not "well the focus group really liked it!" What the hell does a Bearcat have to with Binghamton. A few years ago Oakland U. must of hired the same company because they charged their mascot from the Pioneers to the Golden Grizzlies, which would be OK if the school was in California instead of Michigan. We have BLACK BEARS in Michigan, not Grizzlies, let alone :censored:ing Golden ones!

I'll get off my soap box now :P

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived