New Official SSUR Contest

TruColor

Don't know if this should effect the concepts or not, but I work in the AD at UT as a grad asst, and I can tell you that the policy that was made when we introduced the secondary marks (dog, "Vols," etc.) are not to be used on uniforms or warmups.

Had you heard about this contest already?

Just wondering what the school would think of this thing.

I really would welcome any advice you could give as far as the "ethics" of this contest goes.

John Pennington (whose dad is the minister at my church, by the way) mentioned it briefly on his show last Sunday, not sure if he did any graphics on it, because I was listening to channel 6's radio simulcast of the show.

I do know that adidas designs jerseys and has them approved a year and a half out, so despite what may be said publicly, at least the main set of unis for next year has already been designed and approved. This is to give the actual manufacturer time to get the necessary materials in our unique color.

That said, coach Pearl has become a virtual god in this neck of the woods, both in the public and within the AD. If he sees the design and likes it, I'd say there's a definite possibilty that it would be given consideration. adidas may not like it, but they usually bow to what the head coaches want. It wouldn't be the first time here that someone's design had made it to the court or field.

John Pennington (whose dad is the minister at my church, by the way) mentioned it briefly on his show last Sunday, not sure if he did any graphics on it, because I was listening to channel 6's radio simulcast of the show.

I do know that adidas designs jerseys and has them approved a year and a half out, so despite what may be said publicly, at least the main set of unis for next year has already been designed and approved. This is to give the actual manufacturer time to get the necessary materials in our unique color.

That said, coach Pearl has become a virtual god in this neck of the woods, both in the public and within the AD. If he sees the design and likes it, I'd say there's a definite possibilty that it would be given consideration. adidas may not like it, but they usually bow to what the head coaches want. It wouldn't be the first time here that someone's design had made it to the court or field.

John Pennington IS my contact for this contest. I've been exchanging a LOT of emails with him.

This contest is for fun; no guarantee that any of them will even be considered.

This contest is for fun; no guarantee that any of them will even be considered.

Yeah, I want to emphasize that I wasn't implying the winning design will be used. That's certainly not what I meant and want to make that clear to any of you submitting designs.

That said, If John shares the design with Coach Pearl, depending on his reaction, they could contribute to some ideas for jerseys. adidas, like Nike, tends to give schools an option of several templetes to choose from, but they have done custom stuff for schools before. The templete our women's team uses comes with a guarantee that no other women's team will use the same one.

John Pennington (whose dad is the minister at my church, by the way)

Perhaps since he has connections with both UT and God he can help determine who sold their soul to the Devil to get the program turned around so quickly.

There's no soul selling involved -- it's all Coach Pearl. The guy was an incredible coach here at UW-Milwaukee, and before that at Southern Indiana. He's an incredible motivator, and preaches/teaches a fast paced, pressing style of basketball.

We miss him up here (he still appears on local radio periodically, just because he's a nice guy and an interesting character to listen to), and wish him all the best.

It's where I sit.

I've reconsidered and decided to go ahead and not be in.

Why? I dunno. I just don't think there is anything particularly wrong with what they wear now. I'd like to not see blue or black in there scheme but....

I just can't think of anything to bring to the table that would make Bruce or an AD sit up and take notice and say...."YES. THAT is it". They've got some stripes, got the Power T. meh.

Still, I wish you all much luck and anxiously await the results. Knock em dead.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• 1 month later...

I wish I had the time to participate...being a Vol and all...

Two suggestions...stay away from BLACK...our true colors are Orange and White and use the Checkerboard sparingly. It is so overused (in the wrong ways). Personally i don't think it should be used anywhere but the endzones. Oh and the Power T is our logo...Period.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Go Vols!

I need to confirm this, but I think this is dead.

I think I only got 4 or 5 entries...and almost all of them had the checkerboard pattern on the side (!).

Oh well...it's what I would have done as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpin'...

John Pennington - the producer of the TV show - emailed me with the results of this contest. They showed a few of them and there was a winner:

Joshua Smith.

Sorry - I don't remember your handle on these boards...

Apparently, the winning entry was forwarded on to the AD at the U. of Tennessee.

Congrats!

Present yourself and your concept, Mr Joshua Smith!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived