Steinbrenner predicts World Series win

brinkeguthrie

OK, now my wishes to see some other team knock these guys out of the playoffs early (or out completely) have doubled.

GO JAYS! GO SOX! GO O'S! Hell, even GO D-RAYS!

Anything to keep the Yanks from getting the division title.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

OK, now my wishes to see some other team knock these guys out of the playoffs early (or out completely) have doubled.

Sox are just as bad as the Yankees at this point-I really want to see Toronto win the division.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Predicting the Yankees to win the World Series after signing the biggest players with the largest pile of cash isn't making a bold statement.

On the other hand, predicting the Milwaukee Brewers, Tamps Bay Rays or KC Royals to win it all would be.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Sox are just as bad as the Yankees at this point-I really want to see Toronto win the division.

How so? The Red Sox are a LOT closer to St. Louis etc. than they are to the Yankees in terms of how they throw around their money. A lot of the money is from overpaying players before Theo took over (see: Manny Ramirez).

The Red Sox could spend up their with the Yankees and overpay for player after player -- but the fact that they stuck to their offers for Varitek and Damon (with Varitek having taken the home discount) shows that that's not their philosophy. Besides, the Red Sox are doing an a fantastic job at not only putting a team on the field capable of winning it all this year, but building the farm system.

IUe6Hvh.png

Dude, has Steinbrenner even looked at a calendar lately? We aren't even in March yet yet he is predicting Yankee domination. Nevermind the White Sox, the Red Sox, The Blue Jays, the Angels, the Indians, the Athletics.......

What a idiot.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

How so? The Red Sox are a LOT closer to St. Louis etc. than they are to the Yankees in terms of how they throw around their money. A lot of the money is from overpaying players before Theo took over (see: Manny Ramirez).

The Red Sox could spend up their with the Yankees and overpay for player after player -- but the fact that they stuck to their offers for Varitek and Damon (with Varitek having taken the home discount) shows that that's not their philosophy. Besides, the Red Sox are doing an a fantastic job at not only putting a team on the field capable of winning it all this year, but building the farm system.

Who was number two in payroll last year? <_<

Who keeps getting mentioned when high profile free agents come up because they can afford it? <_<

Who doesn't have to make "decisions" on who to keep and who not to keep (at least financially)? <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What's wrong with an owner saying he expects his team to win the World Series?

Is it because George Steinbrenner said it?

"We're going to win it this year," the Yankees owner said Wednesday. "We're going after it." That's the actual quote. If it came from any other owner's mouth it wouldn't have been news at all. An owner that (over)spends for his players should expect them to perform to the level that they are being paid.

Should George have said "We're going to win the division again this year but I think we're going to lose in the first round again" or "We're not really planning on making the playoffs this year" to make everyone living south or west of New York feel better about the Yankees?

Keep hating. If your team's owner doesn't have the balls to say that he think he has a damn good team put together, that's his problem, not George's.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Who was number two in payroll last year? <_<

Who keeps getting mentioned when high profile free agents come up because they can afford it? <_<

Who doesn't have to make "decisions" on who to keep and who not to keep (at least financially)? <_<

1. Look at the differential between the Red Sox and Yankees in payroll over the last 3 years.

2. The Red Sox, among many other teams. That doesn't mean they throw their money around.

3. Um, yes they do. Do you see Johnny Damon here right now? Aren't the Sox the team that placed Manny Ramirez on irrevocable waivers in the winter of 2003/2004 to get rid of his contract? They have to manage their money just like anyone else.

"We're going to win it this year," the Yankees owner said Wednesday. "We're going after it." That's the actual quote. If it came from any other owner's mouth it wouldn't have been news at all. An owner that (over)spends for his players should expect them to perform to the level that they are being paid.

Should George have said "We're going to win the division again this year but I think we're going to lose in the first round again" or "We're not really planning on making the playoffs this year" to make everyone living south or west of New York feel better about the Yankees?

Keep hating. If your team's owner doesn't have the balls to say that he think he has a damn good team put together, that's his problem, not George's.

Boy, $100 million dollars does inflate ego, doesn't it? Too bad King George is going down the same path that got him banned the 1st time. (I'm a D-backs fan, and I like how Steinbrenner hasn't learned his lesson. I doubt he will.)

Boy, $100 million dollars does inflate ego, doesn't it? Too bad King George is going down the same path that got him banned the 1st time. (I'm a D-backs fan, and I like how Steinbrenner hasn't learned his lesson. I doubt he will.)

Actually he's going down the path that got him banned for the second time. He got banned in the 70's for illegal campaign contributions to Nixon.

Actually he's going down the path that got him banned for the second time. He got banned in the 70's for illegal campaign contributions to Nixon.

He's been banned twice? Hasn't MLB learned it's lesson, or are they as ignorant and stubborn as King George?

I have no problem with what he said. He feels good about the 2006 team and let somebody in the media know it. If a bunch of people on an Internet message board can predict the world champion (in fact, that's done on this site on another thread), then so can Steinbrenner. I wonder how people would react if any other owner had said that about his team.

I have nothing but respect for Steinbrenner and the Yankees. I can't think of very many owners in all of sports who are as dedicated to winning like Steinbrenner is. He could have put all the profits into his pocket like some other owners, but he instead puts it into getting the pieces he thinks he needs to win another world championship. I admit it--I wish my team had him as an owner and I'd take his track record over any other owner in baseball.

True, he did not have to say anything to anyone about the Yankees' chances this year and he could have kept his feelings to himself. However, there's nothing wrong with letting it out, either. Optimism and self-confidence will never be taboos in my book.

Archived