Battle of the Beltway

tohasbo

I haven't seen this logo anywhere but here.

The Battle of the Beltway is for I-495 (the Capital Beltway), as my sig shows. This is not a bad logo by any means, but whoever did this should only be recognizing the battle itself, not specific games. I mean, they're only playing each other ELEVEN times between now and my birthday, June 25.

Congratulations on taking meaningless sigs to a whole new level. Let's have an I-90 battle between the Mariners and the Giants.

Its semi-tradition to call some of the rivalries named after the roads/interstates that the fans travel. The Cardinals have 2...

The I-55 Rivarly or Series (Cards vs. Cubs)

The I-70 series (Vs. the Royals)

Sometimes you'll hear the Cubs/Brewers games called the I-94 Series. There is a name for the Angels/Dodgers series that relates to interstates, but I can't remember what it is.

Its stupid, but its been around for a little while.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the concept. It's one thing when the roads actually connect the cities. People in Baltimore couldn't give a crap about 495, because it is 30 miles away from their city. Same thing about Washington and 695. I give the marketing guru who came up with this slogan an F-minus.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Battle of the Beltway is for I-495 (the Capital Beltway), as my sig shows. This is not a bad logo by any means, but whoever did this should only be recognizing the battle itself, not specific games. I mean, they're only playing each other ELEVEN times between now and my birthday, June 25.

Congratulations on taking meaningless sigs to a whole new level. Let's have an I-90 battle between the Mariners and the Giants.

Its semi-tradition to call some of the rivalries named after the roads/interstates that the fans travel. The Cardinals have 2...

Sometimes you'll hear the Cubs/Brewers games called the I-94 Series. There is a name for the Angels/Dodgers series that relates to interstates, but I can't remember what it is.

The Angels-Dodgers Series is called the Freeway Series, as both teams' stadiums are connected by Interstate 5.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the concept. It's one thing when the roads actually connect the cities. People in Baltimore couldn't give a crap about 495, because it is 30 miles away from their city. Same thing about Washington and 695. I give the marketing guru who came up with this slogan an F-minus.

Gotcha. I thought you're point was the whole concept, but its just this particular case.

"Battle of the Fans Who Whined so Much for Two Teams in Their Area Even Though They Weren't Selling Out When They Only Had One Team There And Now They Get Two Empty Stadiums To Choose From Each Night"

someone is still upset about Canada losing a team that had less fans than Afghani Professional :censored:-Throwing.....

Let go, Chris.... let go......

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

"Battle of the Fans Who Whined so Much for Two Teams in Their Area Even Though They Weren't Selling Out When They Only Had One Team There And Now They Get Two Empty Stadiums To Choose From Each Night"

The only fans who whined for a second team were the D.C. area fans. Those of us in the 410 area code were more than happy with the status quo. :D

Then consider yourself excluded from the list :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most O's fans opposed the move. I know I sure did. Orginally it looked like Angelos got a good deal for us from MLB, however instead he got a good deal for himself. It looked like we would start spending more on good players. But instead it is just more money going into his pocket.

It angers me, that so many people (even in the Baltimore area) dropped the O's for the gnats. I'll be in attendence at all of the Camden Yards games this year (including the April 1st preseason game). Supporting the O's and rooting against the gnats and there fake and fair weather fans (not saying all nats fans are, but there are enough).

someone is still upset about Canada losing a team that had less fans than Afghani Professional :censored:-Throwing.....

Let go, Chris.... let go......

If I let it go then I couldn't call myself a fan.

If anyone would've understood, I would hoped it'd be you.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

:therock:

funny, I never noticed an I-90 running through San Francisco.

come to think of it, I dont even think there is an I-90 running through Seattle either.

:therock:

funny, I never noticed an I-90 running through San Francisco.

come to think of it, I dont even think there is an I-90 running through Seattle either.

The I-90 starts in Boston and ends at the KingDome in Seattle goes through Buffalo, Cleveland, and Chicago. According to this.

So there could be an I-90 rivalry between the Mariners & the Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, or Indians but NOT the Giants.

saBS.png

The only fans who whined for a second team were the D.C. area fans. Those of us in the 410 area code were more than happy with the status quo. :D

Then consider yourself excluded from the list :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most O's fans opposed the move. I know I sure did. Orginally it looked like Angelos got a good deal for us from MLB, however instead he got a good deal for himself. It looked like we would start spending more on good players. But instead it is just more money going into his pocket.

It angers me, that so many people (even in the Baltimore area) dropped the O's for the gnats. I'll be in attendence at all of the Camden Yards games this year (including the April 1st preseason game). Supporting the O's and rooting against the gnats and there fake and fair weather fans (not saying all nats fans are, but there are enough).

For this year, I will give Flanagan and Duquette the benefit of the doubt about not overpaying some of the guys on the market (Burnett and Millwood, for example -- and they at least made an effort to sign Konerko). They can use this year to see what they have with some of the youngsters, then look to next year when the free agent market promises to be better. If they sit on their money next year, however, I won't be so forgiving.

Of course, I am not forgiving at all with Angelos (as opposed to Flanagan and Duquette). He has been the common denominator over the 8 years of losing. What happened to the guy who was willing to pull the trigger on deals for Alomar, Palmeiro, Randy Myers, et al., but now won't touch his wallet? My theory is that Angelos decided he was a baseball genius when he vetoed the trades of Wells and Bonilla in 1996 and the Orioles went to the ALCS. Now, he can't stay out of the way and let his front office staff do its job.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Good to see my sarcasm is COMPLETELY lost on this crowd. Maybe a map would help the geographically ignorant?

The Capital Beltway (495) is 30 miles from Baltimore. Saying that this is the battle over 495 is moronic.

I got it, but maybe that is because I live just off the top edge of your map.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Now although this "rivalry" could technically be named based on the I-95 connection, so could games against Atlanta, Boston, Florida, New York, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay.

Actually, Atlanta isn't on 95! I-95 stays along the coast and goes through Savannah - ATL has I-75 and I-85.. figured since I'm local I would dispell this ;)

I love titles for these games, and I think Interleague should only be played between two teams with geographic signficance (Washington and Baltimore, Los Angeles and Los Angeles of Anaheim). These games are some of the most fun you can watch.

I also like the fact that my Texas Rangers take on the Houston Astros for the Silver Boot. It's a good start to a new tradition, especially since the origional trophy was broken being transported to Arlington. Was it an accident? I don't think so. :therock:

Archived