NFL Off Season Transaction Thread

Cujo

NFL Network saying that Aaron Brooks has been cut, another given. Only question is: who will take him? My geuss is Minnesota.

Could be Chicago. Word on the street is they want a "reliable" number 2 and demote Orton to 3rd string.

I'd feel pretty good if my 3rd string QB won 10 or so games the year before.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 rumours:

Keyshawn Johnson is favouring towards the Panthers. (good fit for him with small/speedy Smith)

and...

Julian Peterson is deciding between two teams: DET(has offered 6 yrs/$32M) or Cleveland (offered 5 yrs/$30M) - only real difference maker which decided where he goes is the GUARUNTEED money.

Another rumor... The Jets missed out on veteran QB Jon Kitna, it looks like the Jets are going to pass on Patrick Ramsey, and if the rumors of a Jets/Falcons trade involving John Abraham and Matt Schaub falls through, look for New York to possibly make a blockbuster move for the #2 pick, which the Saints are currently shopping, and draft USC quarterback Matt Leinart. Leinart has told people in his inner circle that he is "Dying to play for the Jets". The only question now is "Are the Jets dying to have him?". Let's hope so. :D

6uXNWAo.png

ESPN is reporting free agent linebacker Willie McGinest has signed with the Browns.

Sonuvabtch...Wille Mac - the second longest tenured player on the Pats - #4 overall in 1994. Man...I still remember him, Chris Slade, and the captain Vincent Brown wreaking havoc the second half of Willie's rookie year.

The Pats dynasty is officially over. I was really hoping the Pats wanted him back at a discounted rate, but appears they content on moving on. Wish the best to Willie in Cleveland.

That news was a kick to the groin to me...just reinforces the fact that every player (except Tom Brady) is expendable...the Dynasty, however, is not dead...

By the way, it appears my membername is outdated - with David Givens going to the Titans, and since #87 is already taken, my name is officially a throwback. :D

Vinatieri's in Green Bay today - let's hope the next time we see him WON'T be at a Packers new conference.

We're 20 million under the cap -USE IT! Givens going to Tennessee was tough to swallow, but Big Willie going to the Browns? It's a sad day in Patriot Nation.

Eagles officially sign Jeff Garcia and Jabar Gaffney.

Eagles Website

The Gaffney signing is a pleasant surprise. He was ok with Houston, but with Carr getting killed each week he didn't have the oppertunity to make as many plays. He is a better value than Randle-El and I see him comperable to Givens, Morgan, Walker and the other available WR's. Should be a nice fit along with Brown, Pinkston, Lewis, the improving Billy McMullen and Darnerien McCants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Eagles Website

The Gaffney signing is a pleasant surprise. He was ok with Houston, but with Carr getting killed each week he didn't have the oppertunity to make as many plays. He is a better value than Randle-El and I see him comperable to Givens, Morgan, Walker and the other available WR's. Should be a nice fit along with Brown, Pinkston, Lewis, the improving Billy McMullen and Darnerien McCants.

Still, the Eagles don't have enough at wide reciever. Pinkston is coming off injury and hasn't really ever lived up to his potential, Lewis has improved the last few seasons but he's small and not a number 2 reciever, Reggie Browns looked really good at the end of last season and may be able to step up to the number 2 spot, I haven't seen McMullen to much, but I know he has good size which helps and Gaffney is a good compliment to a number one guy (Andre Johnson in Houston) so what I see is a lot of depth and a lot of solid players but no real threat. My question is what happened to McCants? He looked like a keeper in Washington and was pretty good, once he was cut and signed by the Eagles he's dissappeared. Will he be more of a special teams guy again next year or will he be inserted into the WR rotation?

Eagles Website

Still, the Eagles don't have enough at wide reciever. Pinkston is coming off injury and hasn't really ever lived up to his potential, Lewis has improved the last few seasons but he's small and not a number 2 reciever, Reggie Browns looked really good at the end of last season and may be able to step up to the number 2 spot, I haven't seen McMullen to much, but I know he has good size which helps and Gaffney is a good compliment to a number one guy (Andre Johnson in Houston) so what I see is a lot of depth and a lot of solid players but no real threat. My question is what happened to McCants? He looked like a keeper in Washington and was pretty good, once he was cut and signed by the Eagles he's dissappeared. Will he be more of a special teams guy again next year or will he be inserted into the WR rotation?

yeah, but it seems as if the Eagles are going back to the idea of spreading the ball around and not having main #1 target. If they can have 5 guys that can each catch 35-45 passes, plus Westbrook (who is your big play threat), Moats, Buck or other RB and Smith/Schoebel at TE catch passes you have a diverse and potentially dangerous offense.

As far as McCants, I think he'll be in the mix with Lewis, McMullen and a draft choice or FA for the 4th and 5th reciever spots. He made some catches late in the year and can be used as a return guy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

You make a good point about spreading the ball around, and there are certainly tonnes of guys on that roster that can catch, especially if they draft a reciever as well, but when new guys come in, old guys move out. There's bound to be at least one reciever cut if they have 7 coming into preseason.

NEW DEAL:

I know Millen is stupid but this is beyond stupidity.

ESPN radio has just announced that Josh McCown has signed a 2-year deal with the Lions. Harrington, who has said he wanted to leave is pretty much out the door now. So much for Millen saying "Harrington is going to be our starter next year"

BIG NEWS: Looks like Terrell Owens has found a homeIs TO a Cowboy or not? Depends on who you ask

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer is saying that the Cowboys have signed T.O. but other sources saying nothing is final yet. My feeling is that he will sign in Dallas and have a heck of a year with Tuna, then, the following year, ask for a 150% raise and a new contract giving the Cowboys no option but to cut him.

Other big news....Seattle is going to match the offer on Hutchinson

Aaron Brooks is meeting with the Buccaneers and Gus Frerotte is going to sign in St.Louis.

RUMOR

Crazy little rumor floating around on another board, but started by a Sirius radio station: Falcons will trade Matt Schaub, plus 2006 1st and 2nd rounders to the Jets for John Abraham and Jets' 2006 1st round pick.

We'll see.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not so big news - William Henderson re-signs with the Packers.

Regarding the Seahawks matching Hutchinson's offer - they're going to match MOST of it. There's a poison pill clause in it that requires the team to make him the highest paid player on the team in 2006. The Vikings meet that requirement simply by signing him. However, Seattle would have to bump up the offer due to Walter Jones' contract. Seattle will argue that this is not a primary term of the contract, and thus doesn't need to be matched. Source - profootballtalk.com

It's where I sit.

The Jets trade a 6th round pick in this year's draft to the Redskins for QB Patrick Ramsey.

Story

Interesting. Once again when the Redskins are trying to get rid of a guy, that can't seem to get much....(couldn't get anything for Rod Gardner either)

What does this mean for Leinart's future? Or will they still draft him and cut Pennington?

The Jets trade a 6th round pick in this year's draft to the Redskins for QB Patrick Ramsey.

Story

Interesting. Once again when the Redskins are trying to get rid of a guy, that can't seem to get much....(couldn't get anything for Rod Gardner either)

What does this mean for Leinart's future? Or will they still draft him and cut Pennington?

Leinart will go #2 to New Orleans. Brees' contract has a $12 million option bonus next March. That's not going to happen.

It's where I sit.

Story

with the jets and saints no longer needing qb's they may trade down and upgrade some needs. if they don't trade down, Lienhart will probably go to the titans and VY will go to the Raiders.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived