It's Houston Dynamo...

Brian in Boston

and dynamo wasn't just in Eastern Germany usage, Dynamo Moscow is still one of the biggest Russian clubs, along with Dynamo Bucharest in Romania and Dynamo Kiev in the Ukraine.

Absolutely true. All of them are former communist era team nicknames. Funny.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Eastern European pronunciation is de-NAH-moe, it's DIE-na-moe in the US.

I like this better than 1836, thought that was a silly homage to the German clubs club official Oliver Luck saw during his time in NFL Europe.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

and dynamo wasn't just in Eastern Germany usage, Dynamo Moscow is still one of the biggest Russian clubs, along with Dynamo Bucharest in Romania and Dynamo Kiev in the Ukraine.

Not sure what's funny about it; it's actually quite logical.

The Dynamo name goes back to the early days of the Soviet Union. The NKVD (forerunner of the KGB) established clubs in many cities with the intent of creating a "Dynamo" sports society. Thus Dynamo teams in Moscow and Kiev, which was part of the USSR in the 1920s when the program started.

Naturally, if the main influence on daily life does something, all the satellite nations within the sphere of influence will do things to imitate the leader.

So it isn't just honoring a team that the Stasi ran in East Germany; it's an homage to teams littered all over Europe as MLS continues to pay tribute to Euro soccer teams and leagues, just like "Real", "United" and the other names you either love or hate.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Today, in the world of Major League Soccer, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Dynamo."

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the San Jose Earthquakes and the Dynamo.

Let them come to Houston.

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Houston.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Houston Dynamo."

I've been following this story since its inception a few months ago. I thought the new name would celebrate some aspect of Houson's Hispanic population since the pervious name offended them. But here I am finding that this new has some kind of Communistic meaning. After taking this all in, I'm still left wondering what does Dynamo have to do with the city of Houston? Someone please refresh me because I'm not seeing it.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I'm still left wondering what does Dynamo have to do with the city of Houston? Someone please refresh me because I'm not seeing it.

Dynamo has connotations in the energy industry, and was the name of an old Houston soccer cluib as well.

The energy connotations were why "Dynamo/Dinamo" was selected for Eastern European clubs as well.

Hmmm.

Astros - tie to the soviet space program

Rockets - ties to soviet military and nuclear development (I don't care that they kept the name in their move..this helps strengthen my point)

Oilers - the oil fields in the Caspian

Dynamo - a celebration of soviet communism.

Texans - we all know that wasn't their first choice. Reds was rejected in the final stages.

I see some strange connections here. Maybe the good citizens of Houston would like to explain themselves?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Not sure what's funny about it; it's actually quite logical.

The Dynamo name goes back to the early days of the Soviet Union. The NKVD (forerunner of the KGB) established clubs in many cities with the intent of creating a "Dynamo" sports society. Thus Dynamo teams in Moscow and Kiev, which was part of the USSR in the 1920s when the program started.

Naturally, if the main influence on daily life does something, all the satellite nations within the sphere of influence will do things to imitate the leader.

So it isn't just honoring a team that the Stasi ran in East Germany; it's an homage to teams littered all over Europe as MLS continues to pay tribute to Euro soccer teams and leagues, just like "Real", "United" and the other names you either love or hate.

As you say, the term "Dynamo" was in the past closely associated with Soviet-era clubs created by the Soviet secret-police. That most people in Houston don't know of this connotation is what I find funny.

What's a dynamo?

What's a nubian? :P

What's a Lemke? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist:)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I've got one question. When will the John Birch Society rise up and say "The name Houston Dynamo is politically incorrect"? Cause you know that's going to happen, and then we'll be stuck with some as lame as the RedHawks.

I also find this odd that it's occuring in one of the most conservative cities in the United States. Odd, just odd.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Texans - we all know that wasn't their first choice. Reds was rejected in the final stages.

Really? I don't remember that at all.

Or were you making a funny?

I was makin a funny.

I realized my little theory got messed up with "Texans" and so I had to come up with some twist. You know, something that would make my twists on the Rockets and Astros seem normal.

BTW as a side note. Being a Galaxy fan I will say they are the Houston Dynamite. I look forward to watching the Galaxy blow them up.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

anyone notice that the logo all over the site has dynamo in white w/ an orange stroke, and houston in white....but the photo of the unveiling has houston in blue and dynamo in orange w/ no stroke? i think its looks better, but what gives?

Archived