Update- Puckett dies

brinkeguthrie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because of the crappy Metrodome, my dad, uncle and I went from '86 to '92 to see the Twins play in Milwaukee. THe greatest memory is 1987. Pucket went four for five with two doubles in a win on Saturday. On Sunday the Twins won 11-10 or something. Puckett robbed Robin Yount of a grand slam and went 6 for 6 with two homers and two doubles.

People often talk about the time Kirby went 10 or 11 in Milwaukee that weekend.

I went to the sportscar races in Wisconsin that weekend and went to the first game of that series on Friday.

Kirby once remarked that he had signed so many autographs, that everyone in Minnesota must have two. Without really trying, I have 3 myself.

One was a crappy batting practice ball that was hit out of the park during spring training in Orlando that I got a few players to sign. The second was just for fun one day I noticed several players doing personal apperances. I drove around town and got those 4 or 5 guys. On a roll, I went to the stadium and hung out by the player's entrance and got 95% of the team that day. (A few players were dropped off at the front of the stadium by their wives). The third time was at Kirby's charity 8-Ball tournament. I actually went to get a different player to sign a game-worn jersey, but with access to the other players, made a point of getting Kirby to sign a ball as well.

As I posted in another thread, my favorite Kirby memory is when I worked as an usher at the Metrodome in 1991. We needed to be in position before the public was let in, which gave us the opportunity to watch Twins batting practice before the doors were open. Day after day, Kirby's laughter filled that giant, empty stadium all by itself. You couldn't help but smile just being around that, it was so infectious.

They have been taking calls with people's memories on the local sports talk show all day today. My favorite so far is some guy on the road endlessly razzing Kirby about the size of his butt. He finally turns to the guy and says, "That's not my butt, that's my wallet." Hahaha! :D

It was an honor to have him play for the home team and be able to watch him for as long as we did.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

One of the greatest Minnesota sports stars.

He was my favorite player growing up and then at the height of his career it all ended. RIP PUCK

and to all of you linking his death to steroids stop!!! please. the man had a stroke that caused his death anyone can have a stroke. RIP KIRBY

as a tigers fan, i'm a twins hater....but i could never hate on kirby.

That really sums up Kirby, doesn't it?

One of the rare athletes that transcends team loyalties that you just can't help but admire, no matter who your home team is.

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

15,000-20,000 people went to the Metrodome last night for the memorial for Kirby. Not a bad turnout considering there was a bad winter storm moving into the area and the memorial was televised too.

Speakers included Harmon Killebrew, Dave Winfield and Cal Ripken, Jr. among others.

One cool thing for me was I am a photorapher for a department store. We ran a tribute ad that I shot last week and someone cut the ad out of the paper and added it to the flowers and other memorial items people are leaving outside the dome.

Puckettad.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Talk about class. Harmon Killebrew said at the memorial service at the Metrodome that Kirby Puckett was "the greatest Twin."

One could easily argue that Harmon Killebrew was the greatest Twin. So for Harmon to say Kirby was the greatest was extremely humble, gracious and classy.

It makes me proud to be a Twins fan.

Apparantly, Puckett was thisclose to signing with the Phillies prior to the 1993 season! I had no idea.

story

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived