Update- Puckett dies

brinkeguthrie

Kirby will be missed very much.. I always admired him very much... and did root for him in the 1991 WS vs Atlanta.. was happy to see him smile and yell after the winning HR was hit in Game 6 or 7 I think? He's a great guy..and I did remmy one time while watching the newshour sports segment something abuot Kirby and getting hit in the head by the ball.. ouch I hoped he would be okay after that but oh man.. glucouse... now he has passed on.... I'm sure the baseball greats in heaven will welcome Kirby very much in there....and more... God bless ya, Kirby!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart sank when I just read the headline on yahoo. Growing up a cardinals fan I was mostly a National league guy but Kirby was one of my favorites. I read his autobiography "I love this Game, my life in baseball" when I was about 10 and seeing a man come from such humble beginnings to be one of the best in the game was just inspiring. He had a few problems in recent years but I truly believe he was one of the good guys in baseball.

You are truly missed, Puck. Thanks for the memories.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Kirby will be missed very much.. I always admired him very much... and did root for him in the 1991 WS vs Atlanta.. was happy to see him smile and yell after the winning HR was hit in Game 6 or 7 I think? He's a great guy..and I did remmy one time while watching the newshour sports segment something abuot Kirby and getting hit in the head by the ball.. ouch I hoped he would be okay after that but oh man.. glucouse... now he has passed on.... I'm sure the baseball greats in heaven will welcome Kirby very much in there....and more... God bless ya, Kirby!!!

It was game six... "We'll see you tomorrow night!"

Game 7 was the famous Jack Morris game.

256dy87.jpg

I am in grief beyond description.

Yes, he was only a baseball player. It's not like a family member died.

But he was like a member of the family. If you're a Twins fan, like I have been since 1962 when I was 6 years old, you know that every time one of the Twins dies, it feels like a family member dies. Every sports fan here knows what I mean. These players become special parts of our lives, special enjoyments for us. They really are like real family members -- they help make our loves more bearable.

And Kirby was most special. He brought so much joy to Twins fans over the years.

I have a feeling St. Peter temporarily turned over his job to the late great Twins announcer Bob Casey, so the latest arrival could be announced in heaven: "And now, Kirrrrrrrrrrr-BEEEEEEEE PUCK-etttttttttttt."

Sounds like it he really spiraled down after his career ended. I bet allot of it was depression over the sudden end of his career.

Sports E-cyclopedia Tribute

Kirby Puckett

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As a Manitoban, I have the unique opportunity to observe Minnesota sports from an objective distance through the NBC and CBS affiliates.

Kirby Puckett was the Twins when I started to like baseball. I never really watched much back then, but if you'd asked me who played for the Twins, I'd've told you "Kirby Puckett". It was sad to see him forced out of the game so early, sounds like it really broke him down.

Although I never really cheered for him, I am saddened and grieve with my south-eastern neighbours for one of the great Minnesota icons of all time.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Because of the crappy Metrodome, my dad, uncle and I went from '86 to '92 to see the Twins play in Milwaukee. THe greatest memory is 1987. Pucket went four for five with two doubles in a win on Saturday. On Sunday the Twins won 11-10 or something. Puckett robbed Robin Yount of a grand slam and went 6 for 6 with two homers and two doubles.

You had to love the way he played. All hustle. All heart. I always had a sense that he never took for granted that he was in the Majors. That he was always in awe. I think it kept him hustling for 162 games. His approach was infectious.

The 1987 championship team was not a great team. But without Puck, they are under .500. The 1991 team was the best in the Majors-thanks to career years from people like Brian Harper, Scott Erickson, Kevin Tapani and Shane Mack. But it was still Puck's team. He is still the piece that, if removed, would have sent the team below .500.

In 1989, he won the batting title and I think was the first right handed batter to win the AL batting title in about 40 years.

Ten Straight All Star Games

Six Gold Gloves

Seven times in the top 10 of AL MVP voting

"Batting Third. The center fielder. Number 34. Kirbeeeeeee Puuuuucketttttt"

From the time he was hit in the face in his last at bat, his life seems to have unraveled. Most of it his own doing. It's sad to see the greatest smile in baseball history crumble for the past ten years. It was sad to hear the allegations from his wife. Sad to hear the stories from his mistress. Sad to see the weight go up. Nevertheless, my memories will be the great day in 1987, the 1991 game 6 homer and that infectious smile.

Kirby, you will be missed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I always thought I'd be older when my sports heroes died.

I also never thought I'd succumb to tears at the news of an athlete's death.

Sadly, both happened tonight.

My indoctrination to baseball came in that glorified year of 1987. I was blessed to watch two legendary world series victories in my childhood. They're memories I would never give back. They're memories that helped shape my childhood, that helped me learn what it feels like to be a part of something really great.

Kirby was the strongest link to that. He was the leader, the soul of those teams. He was an icon for my childhood.

And now, tragically, he's gone. I admit it may sound a bit melodromatic, but it feels as if a piece of my childhood has gone with him.

Today's Image of the Day caption

Remembering Kirby

Ten years ago Kirby Puckett reported to Spring Training for the Minnesota Twins with troubled vision in his right eye, little did anyone know his career was over. Puckett a fan favorite for the Twins died at the age of 45 in Arizona Monday a day after suffering a massive stroke, but the day Kirby Puckett really died may have been the Spring of 1996 when his eye continued to get worse before it was diagnosed as glaucoma forcing him to retire. For 12 years Kirby Puckett was the Twins leading them to 2 World Series Titles and becoming an all-time fan favorite in Minnesota. Despite his diminutive size and chubby frame he would build a Hall of Fame career elected on his first ballot in 2001. However, after the Hall of Fame Kirby's life spiral downward charged and found not guilty of sexual assault and domestic violence in 2003, Puckett's weight ballooned to over 400, worrying friends and ex-teammates as he seemed to isolate himself from the game he played with such joy. Sadly there would be no rebound as he passed away, donating his organs in one last selfless act, as fans made a meg-shift memorial.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Just horrid news hearing of this...

Puck was always one of my faves...always loved the way he played the game..hard, but with a sense of joy. 

RIP Kirby....CF in the Metrodome's gonna be a lot emptier now. :(

If anyone wants to use this, feel free....just save it to your own webspace.

puckett_memorial.png

wow thats nice work. oughta send it to MLB and the Twins.

Maybe someone could make a nice big wallpaper with this log and a good quality photograph of Kirby getting another hit. Maybe a Twins logo on there. Something creative so we can remember Kirby.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

"Batting Third. The center fielder. Number 34. Kirbeeeeeee Puuuuucketttttt"

That reminds me that Bob Casey died only a year ago as well... He was the Twins in stadium announcer for 39 years, since there first game at the Met to his last at the Dome.

I wish I had all the same memories as you guys but being born in '91 I have few memories... Luckilly I have watched the movie "Kirby" a million times, haha

256dy87.jpg

Archived