World Baseball Classic games

BCBoy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh? The Americans aren't eliminated ... not yet at least. Here we go with another one of those crazy tie-breakers.

Korea (2-0) can earn a berth in the semis by beating Japan (1-1). If that happens, the United States (1-1) would also make it by beating Mexico (0-2) on Thursday.

But if Japan beats Korea, the Americans could be eliminated from contention even before playing Mexico. That would happen if Japan wins in a nine-inning game and scores seven runs or less because of the complicated tiebreaker system being employed

6uXNWAo.png

Well, other people made justice for Japan: the Koreans eliminated USA from the WBC.

Not just yet.

Japan is 1-1, just like the US. If the US beats Mexico and Korea beats Japan, the US would advance to the semi-finals.

However, if Korea beats Japan and Mexico beats the US, all three would be tied at 1-2, and once again, the tiebreakers will determine the team who advances....

Shouldn't it just be on run difference between the teams?

I'm sure they do it this way to avoid teams running up the score.

They can't run up the score because there is the mercy rule in place, the same rule that limited the USA/Mexico game to 5 innings because they were being slaughtered....

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

They can't run up the score because there is the mercy rule in place, the same rule that limited the USA/Mexico game to 5 innings because they were being slaughtered....

USA/South Africa tho

But they can still run up the score for those 5-innings

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

USA/South Africa tho

Sorry, your right, it was South Africa. You do make a valid point that you COULD run up the score before the Mercy Rule kicks in, but it would be hard for most teams to do so...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

USA/South Africa tho

Sorry, your right, it was South Africa. You do make a valid point that you COULD run up the score before the Mercy Rule kicks in, but it would be hard for most teams to do so...

Yes, hard and pointless (ugh), since runs scored have nothing to do with tie-breakers ^_^

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wow good thing I have MLB.tv that way I can watch the games live. I've really got into this tournament. The competition is great. MLB really needs to move this tournament to February nect time because that is a dead time in sports and the managers don't have to worry about everyone getting at bats like it is now because it would be before spring training. Have a World Basbeall training camp and the pitchers are in the same situation as it is now.

Korea-Japan is a good game. 0-0 going into the 8th. Japan has 4 hits in the game and Korea has only 1.

Go Korea!!!!

It's interesting to watch on mlb.tv when the game isn't on live on regular tv because you get to hear what the announcers say during the commercial breaks.

2-0 Korea!!!!!! The first batter in the 8th struck out. Next Walked then a single up the middle. The runner at first tried to go to third and was out but the 3rd baseman dropped the ball. Then a double to score both the batter tried for a triple and was thrown out at third. Going to the bottom of the 8th.

Cuba has advanced to the semi-finals. A 4-3 victory tonight over Puerto Rico, punched their ticket to the USA. The US better hope they advance because Castro would have a field day with this is the Americans aren't in the semis.

Damn I was rooting for Puerto Rico because of all the Mets they have on their team oh well I guess they will be coming back to Port St. Lucie in tiem for the debut of SNY.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived