Pacers to wear (uh oh) retro

Phil

Hey, they won a championship in it (which is more than we can say for the Hawks).  Seriously, that is the jersey I remember the Pacers in when growing up.  I'm happy to see them go to an ABA retro rather than the NBA one they used for the league's 50th in 1997.

U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you UGLY. Yeah yeah, you UGLY.

That is hideous.  There are many, many reasons the 70s is blissfully in the past, and this is one of them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you UGLY. Yeah yeah, you UGLY.

That is hideous. There are many, many reasons the 70s is blissfully in the past, and this is one of them.

dont know what ur on, but this pacers jersey is original in that no other team has a jersey like it, its got tradition, u can use the current pacers logo with it (with a slight color change), and not to mention it jusy looks great. us ethis as the standard home, get the blue versions for road, and make a yellow version for the alt.

dont know what ur on, but this pacers jersey is original in that no other team has a jersey like it, its got tradition...

Y'know, "original" keeps getting tossed around on this board for when off-the-wall-crazy designs get introduced.  "But it's original, it must be good!"

WRONG.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for originality.  But I'm also for things that don't look horrible.  This jersey looks horrible.  

As for the "tradition," the only tradition I see in it is that at least two teams had this same pattern in the 70s, and thankfully it pretty much died with the 70s.

Indiana's currently look is a million times better than this.  If you want something "traditional," that's what the Pacers currently have.  And it doesn't have any freaky, imbalanced swooping lines.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

why did they mix fonts for the "Pacers" name on the jersey? the "p" has serifs where the other letters don't.

I know there was a serious lack of consistency in the ABA, but does it have to spread to the retro ABA uniforms too?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Hey, they won a championship in it (which is more than we can say for the Hawks). .

The Hawks have won an NBA Championship.

OK, it was 1958 and the team was in St. Louis, but it's an NBA Championship, which the Pacers have yet to achieve.

:P

I actually like the Pacers and have no affinity for the Atlanta Hawks; I just needed to set the historical record straight.  No hard feelings.

Hey, they won a championship in it (which is more than we can say for the Hawks). .

The Hawks have won an NBA Championship.

OK, it was 1958 and the team was in St. Louis, but it's an NBA Championship, which the Pacers have yet to achieve.

:P

I actually like the Pacers and have no affinity for the Atlanta Hawks; I just needed to set the historical record straight. No hard feelings.

I was referring to winning a championship in this jersey design. Both the Pacers and Hawks adopted the style in 1971. The Pacers won ABA championships in 72 & 73 while wearing these jerseys. The Hawks were also-rans (though very entertaining with "Pistol Pete" and Walt Bellamy).

As for why the "P" has serifs and the others don't - I assume it's because it's the first letter in the name and was done as a form of capitalization. If you look at the road jersey from that era, you'll notice they did the same thing with the first "I" in Indiana.

mn-pac73r30.jpg (from OnlineSports.com)

I believe the Baltimore Bullets also used this design. All three had ditched it by 1974. I don't think there is any way this design would make a comeback - it's dead and buried in the 70's, but for Pacers fans (at least those of us old enough to remember the ABA glory days) it has special significance.

i remember seeing pics of a bullets jersey with just the number on it and then 'bullets' on teh shorts. may have been this design, but i figure it was just eerily similar.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

why did they mix fonts for the "Pacers" name on the jersey? the "p" has serifs where the other letters don't.

I know there was a serious lack of consistency in the ABA, but does it have to spread to the retro ABA uniforms too?

Actually, that is correct.  Unfortunately, we can't blame this on the NBA and their attempt to force inaccurate representations of retro unis on us!  :D

To paraphrase Paul Simon, "Where have you gone Bob Netolicky?"

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

It's better than the pinstripes. It's okay, I guess. I don't think the Pacers have been known for great unis. Just look back & remember the ones before the pinstriped ones. Ack...

If the stripe stayed on the side, these'd be great.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Archived