A Gary Williams first .....

SteveR

Word has it that, for the first time under Gary Williams, Maryland will be wearing black for its upcoming ACC tournament game against Boston College.

The school has had the black set in storage for a few years, but Williams has been staunch with only using the white and red sets.

They wore a third uniform for the first time this year with the "grey shoulders" home jersey that was a theme throughout the ACC-Big Ten challenge.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Depending on just how superstitious Gary Williams is, we may not see those uniforms again for a long time after Maryland's performance last night. :mad: I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thrown in a pile and burned after the game.

They did look pretty sharp, however (for what that is worth).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Man, that Greensboro court is tacky.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday while watching Duke/Miami. The Hornets are gone from NC: It's time for a change. Why not mix in some blue? ... because when you think North Carolina basketball, you think Duke Blue Devils and UNC Tar Heels. (Sorry Deacon fans :P)

6uXNWAo.png

Man, that Greensboro court is tacky.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday while watching Duke/Miami. The Hornets are gone from NC: It's time for a change. Why not mix in some blue? ... because when you think North Carolina basketball, you think Duke Blue Devils and UNC Tar Heels. (Sorry Deacon fans :P)

Interesting, since Greensboro is much closer to Winston-Salem than to either Durham or Chapel Hill. And the purple and teal was never done as an homage to the Hornets or anything. I guess it was just done in an attempt to be as tacky as humanly possible.

I wish the ACC had mandated the use of the blue and tan in their logo. Greensboro could still keep the purple and teal in their "ACC Tournament 2006 Greensboro" logo if they had to.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Maybe they're trying to play up the neutral court aspect by picking colors that nobody can possibly like?

Hey, ACC blue and tan is a good idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Depending on just how superstitious Gary Williams is, we may not see those uniforms again for a long time after Maryland's performance last night. :mad: I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thrown in a pile and burned after the game.

They did look pretty sharp, however (for what that is worth).

I think this was a bad idea. Gary probably did it thinking it would pump the players up. However it definitley back fired. I'm pretty superstitious when it comes to uniform changes, and I hope we don't see these again. We really needed that win, in order to get into the NCAAs. Now after being blown out, I think its another trip to the NIT.

Maybe they're trying to play up the neutral court aspect by picking colors that nobody can possibly like?

This is actually closer to the truth.

The ACC has always heard about an alleged North Carolina schools bias from the other schools in the conference (then again, when half of the schools in the original 8-team ACC are within the same state a couple hours' apart, there's going to be a predominance of North Carolina stuff), and using blue of any shade, red, gold or black would only feed into the perception that the ACC is for UNC/NCSU/Wake/Duke first, everyone else second. So they went with minty green and light purple, since no schools in the conference wear any green, and the purple looks nothing like Clemson's purple.

Either that, or the court designer's paying a subtle tribute to Wimbledon. :P

As far as Maryland's uniforms, I'm OK with them. This isn't adding black for black's sake, since their school colors are red/white/black/gold. In fact, the alma mater mentions "love for the Black and Gold" (and no mention of the red and white). I'd love to see a Len Bias-era gold throwback set - especially if the ACC tries to copy what the SEC did this year...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The ACC has always heard about an alleged North Carolina schools bias from the other schools in the conference (then again, when half of the schools in the original 8-team ACC are within the same state a couple hours' apart, there's going to be a predominance of North Carolina stuff), and using blue of any shade, red, gold or black would only feed into the perception that the ACC is for UNC/NCSU/Wake/Duke first, everyone else second. So they went with minty green and light purple, since no schools in the conference wear any green, and the purple looks nothing like Clemson's purple.

Yeah, I imagine that is the reason why they pick neutral colors. Personally tought I think they should have used a blue and gold, kinda like the ACC logo colors.

I remember alot of Maryland fans complaining about the North Carolina bias a few years ago on a message board. In the 2003 tournament Maryland lost to the #7 seed Tar Heels. I didn't see the game, but I heard that the officiating was really bad. Some people said that it was a North Carolina bias, because all 4 schools advanced to the final 4 of the tourney. Some Maryland fans were really mad and wanted to move to the Big East (this was before all of the talks about the ACC expanding).

I, personally, knew about the Maryland black jerseys during the 1999-2000 season. They had them as an option, but never wore them. It was pretty much a fashion jersey for the lst 5 years or so but finally broke em out. However, they did wear them when they went on the Italy summer tour a couple of years ago wearing them for a couple games.

Yeah, I imagine that is the reason why they pick neutral colors. Personally tought I think they should have used a blue and gold, kinda like the ACC logo colors.

I remember alot of Maryland fans complaining about the North Carolina bias a few years ago on a message board. In the 2003 tournament Maryland lost to the #7 seed Tar Heels. I didn't see the game, but I heard that the officiating was really bad. Some people said that it was a North Carolina bias, because all 4 schools advanced to the final 4 of the tourney. Some Maryland fans were really mad and wanted to move to the Big East (this was before all of the talks about the ACC expanding).

I have a friend whose theory (purely tongue-in-cheek, BTW) is that Maryland is suffering payback because the state didn't secede from the Union during the Civil War. :P

As for the Big East talk, I don't know anyone who ever wanted Maryland to move to the Big East (but maybe that is just my circle of friends, who have been watching ACC basketball for 30+ years).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I have a friend whose theory (purely tongue-in-cheek, BTW) is that Maryland is suffering payback because the state didn't secede from the Union during the Civil War. :P

I think the legislature wanted to secede but Lincoln posted Federal troops just to make sure Maryland didn't secede.

I would have preferred yellow lettering on the black uniforms.

As for the Big East talk, I don't know anyone who ever wanted Maryland to move to the Big East (but maybe that is just my circle of friends, who have been watching ACC basketball for 30+ years).

Yeah, this one message board I visit (terptown.com) was just going crazy that weekend. A bunch of people were saying Maryland is the Alaska of the league. There were also like 5 threads suggesting that Maryland should move to the Big East. They said our games would be officiated more fairly and it would be much better for the program. It was really just a bunch of Maryland fans over reacting. Alot of people on those boards are really strange. Last year, a bunch of them invaded a Pacific Tigers board yelling at them for losing their conference championship and costing us an at-large bid to the tournament.

I have a friend whose theory (purely tongue-in-cheek, BTW) is that Maryland is suffering payback because the state didn't secede from the Union during the Civil War.  :P

Yeah, this one message board I visit (terptown.com) was just going crazy that weekend. A bunch of people were saying Maryland is the Alaska of the league. There were also like 5 threads suggesting that Maryland should move to the Big East. They said our games would be officiated more fairly and it would be much better for the program. It was really just a bunch of Maryland fans over reacting. Alot of people on those boards are really strange. Last year, a bunch of them invaded a Pacific Tigers board yelling at them for losing their conference championship and costing us an at-large bid to the tournament.

I find it hard to believe anyone would overreact on a sports message board. :upside:

As for Maryland's relationship with the rest of the league, maybe BC will start taking some of the heat. Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line, after all (though I DO NOT consider myself a Southerner in any way), and was full of slaves and tobacco farms (at least in Southern Maryland with regard to the tobacco farms). BC couldn't be more of a bunch of Yankees. :P

Archived