Joey Harrington Gone

Cujo

Lions 'move on' without QB Harrington

The Detroit Lions are parting ways with Joey Harrington after four turbulent seasons in which the former third overall draft pick went from franchise savior to fans' scourge.

Detroit gave Harrington, the #3 overall pick on 02, some great young weapons on offense (Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Kevin Jones) and he totally dropped the ball. It took Detroit forever to figure out that Joey was a bust. Well, he had a nice run ...actually he didn't. Harrington sucked! I doubt we ever see Harrington start again unless it's to a backup QB getting injured or it's in the Arena League.

6uXNWAo.png

I actually see some potential in Joey. Nobody was successful as the Lions QB, not with their o-line. He rarely had any time to throw the ball. I think if he goes to a team with a decent line, he may become an acceptable QB. I'm not saying he'll ever be great, but I think he can be a decent player.

Harrington can start for some team.

Where? I don't know.

As a Lion fan, I like the Kitna signing. McCown is a decent young QB with some raw skills and loads of potential. I'd place both of these players abouve Harrington on the depth chart.

I've always felt bad for Joey, but it's time for you to go son. B)

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I have always felt that Joey got the shaft in Detroit. He was thrown onto a crappy team, with a even crapper head coach when they drafted him and right away, he is to lead them to glory. Yeah, they got talent later, but Rogers couldn't manage to stay on the field one way or another, while the rest of his receiver corps couldn't catch a tennis ball if you wrapped their hands with velco. Add the fact he had to deal with probably the worst GM in the history of sports, one piss-poor o-line and NO running game, and I don't see how he could be good in Detroit.

I wish Joey luck and I'm sorry that you got thrown-in the Hell that is the Detroit Lions. May you find happiness where ever you go.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

It's kind of funny. I actually know a woman named Joey Harrington (her real name is Joanne). I always liked to say, when Harrington the QB was playing for Oregon and then was a rookie for the Lions, that I know Joey Harrington. Not much to say now.

Joey Harrington needed a new start, i'm glad he'll get a chance to go somewhere where there might actually be a team around him. He showed some flashes of tremendous talent in his time in Detroit, and given the right intangibles(o-line for starters) I think he can be a very good player. I could see him going to Arizona or Minnesota, both of whom have an aging QB who could help him develop more, and these places wouldn't require him to start right away.

Joey's still revered here in Oregon - especially in and around Eugene. okay, he took a lot more heat this year than any other, but he's still up there for me at least.

and I think given time to develop - again, say at Arizona or Minnesota - and given a decent offensive line he can make things happen. And if not, well, we'll never forget that Fiesta Bowl season :)

t1_harrington_ap-01.jpg

harperdc.gif

I apologize if someone gets offended by this, but may God bless him. I hope he signs with another team and does well. If not, I hope he has success in whatever he chooses to do in life. You may question his skills as a quarterback, but he's a good man if he's anything else.

Joey Harrington is by no means the first person to shine super-nova on the college level only to fizzle out on the pro level. He won't be the last either. I wish I could say it was just playing on the Detroit Lions, but to be honest I just don't think he can handle the NFL. I've seen other players on other weak teams show that they still had what it takes, Harington tended to wilt more often than not. I have a feelling the same would have happened if he had been on a higher calibre team. Perhaps that will change if another coach can get through to him, but for now it would seem he peaked in Oregon.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived