A Hoosier thing

mregashu

At peegs.com, the main Indiana basketball forum, there is quite a discussion about the positives and negatives of the candy stripe warm up pants. For those who don't know, IU wears a warm up pant that features red and white vertical candy stripes, far thicker than a pinstripe. So, as this is the best place in the world to discuss such issues, what do you think? Ugly and out dated? Traditional and retro-cool?

It really pretty funny over there, we hire a new coach and this is our biggest topic of discussion...

this is something i have always hated seeing, but loved conceptually. the idea for them is great, and they are so different from any other warmups, but they look really really bad. not to mention i believe TexTech also wears them because of their coach. i heard he brought them over there, but i havent seen enough TexTech games to catch their warmups. i love them and think they need to stay, but just let it be known i hate them and think they are ugly. i dont make any sense.

Clown pants rule.

I have no feelings one way or the other about IU, but if I could find them, I'd buy me a pair. So bad they're good.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

as a purdue alum, i hate anything to do with indiana, however, i think it is good to see a school stick to tradition. especially in a program which they are (were) kown for. So i would say keep them! also notice them keeping the same basic jersey forever too.

every time they come in to mackey to play, you see the students wearing them in the stands and i think 'man those are dumb' but then i think, if i went there instead I would have had them too. (and also be working at mcdonalds :P )

-dw boiler

not to mention i believe TexTech also wears them because of their coach. i heard he brought them over there, but i havent seen enough TexTech games to catch their warmups.

Yes, Texas Tech does wear the IU-style striped warm-up pants, but they are red & black instead of red & white.

mbballvssds001.jpg

They look even worse in person.

After seeing the new designs for Ohio State next year, and considering some George Mason concepts I've seen floated about, I just want to say that it's great to see IU keep on keeping on. They're regular uniform sets are in the top five of college basketball, and I their warmup pants have plenty of character.

I think they look great and hope Sampson keeps them.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Traditional and retro-cool."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Ah, childhood memories from the early 1970s. IU wouldn't be IU if they didn't still wear them.

I don't have any photographic proof, but Kentucky had blue & white candy striped warm-up pants with a blue warm-up jacket with their first set of uniforms under Joe B. Hall. It seems like it was a well-used style back in the day - say 1973-1977. UK dropped them when they changed uniforms for the 1977/78 seaon.

Have to do some digging and see if I can't find an old photo.

IU (and Purdue) Alum here, plus a native Hoosier. I know they look dorky, but I love them. It exudes the tradition of the bastketball program. I hope they are nearly as sacred as Michigan's helmet.

I do fear, however, in the next few years, someone will want to change the unis (read: Nike).

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Tradition in basketball uniforms is great, even if it means those striped warmup pants. And tradition is especially great in college basketball where you rarely see teams wearing similar uniforms or warmups to, say, 20 years ago.

A notable exception is UCLA. I think it's fantastic that UCLA stuck with that look made famous by the John Wooden teams. It will be especially good to see that look back in the Final Four.

not to mention i believe TexTech also wears them because of their coach. i heard he brought them over there, but i havent seen enough TexTech games to catch their warmups.

Yes, Texas Tech does wear the IU-style striped warm-up pants, but they are red & black instead of red & white.

mbballvssds001.jpg

They look even worse in person.

I gotta add that these make we want to puke.

Are they trying out for the circus?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived