NHL standings

When the NHL decided to do away with ties, I was opposed to awarding points for overtime losses. My thought was that a team was bound to miss the playoffs after finishing behind a team with fewer wins.

Sure enough, with just a few games left in the season, that very well may happen.

Here are the standings as of today:

Eastern Conference

1 x - OTTAWA* 50-19-8 108

2 y - CAROLINA* 51-21-6 108

3 x - NY RANGERS* 44-21-12 100

4 x - BUFFALO 48-24-6 102

5 x - PHILADELPHIA 42-24-11 95

6 NEW JERSEY 41-27-9 91

7 TAMPA BAY 42-30-5 89

8 MONTREAL 40-28-9 89

--------------------------------------------------------------------

9 ATLANTA 38-32-7 83

10 TORONTO 37-32-8 82

Not much of a big deal in the East, were the top 8 in points are tops in wins, too. The only hiccup in the system is that in a W-L format, Tampa and New Jersy would be switched.

But look at the West....

Western Conference

1 y - DETROIT* 54-15-8 116

2 y - DALLAS* 51-21-5 107

3 CALGARY* 44-24-10 98

4 NASHVILLE 45-25-8 98

5 ANAHEIM 41-24-12 94

6 COLORADO 42-27-8 92

7 EDMONTON 39-26-13 91

8 SAN JOSE 39-26-11 89

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 VANCOUVER 41-30-7 89

10 LOS ANGELES 40-34-5 85

If the playoffs were to start today, the Canucks and Kings would be out, despite having better W-L records the Oilers and Sharks. Also, Colorado would be seeded lower than the Ducks, who have 1 fewer win.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, but I'm still predicting that someone gets screwed.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Had Edmonton gotten at least one point today, the Kings would have been eliminated. If Edmonton does get one more point though...you can say good night, Kings fans.

Nashville and Calgary also clinched post-season berths yesterday. I don't know why NHL.com doesn't have that posted.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Get rid of Shootout Losses, get rid of points... move to the MLB, NBA system... W-L and winning PCT

I like it, but they'd never go for it.

Maybe...

3 points for a win,

2 points for an OT win/1 point for an OT loss,

1 point for a SO win/none for a loss?

Eliminates the urge to sit on your ass and let OT expire without trying to score...

nav-logo.png

In some ways I'd miss points--but with the way things are now--yes perecnatge would make more sense--especially in comparing different seasons, and seeing how things are going along the way.

Originally OT points were given to encourage teams to play for the win.

The thinking was if you were guaranteed to get a point even if you lost, you'd play less conservatively to get the tie, and play more aggressively to get the win.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

here's my two cents.

Wins - 2 pts

Shootout Loss - 1 pt

Loss - 0 pts

If you lose in regulation or OT you should get 0 points no matter what. You should get 1 point for a shootout loss because they don't even have shootouts in the playoffs. the OT loss was a stupid idea and was never good. If you lose in a shootout, you didn't really lose to a better team, you lost to a team with better breakaway shooters so you should get something for losing in a shootout.

but this is all ludicrous because they never should have changed in the first place!!

This might get laughs, but I have an idea. Make every game worth 5 points.

If the game is won in regulation, or the game winning goal is an empty net goal, give the winning team all 5 points.

If the game is won in overtime, and the goal is not an empty net goal, give the winning team 4 points, and the losing team 1.

If the game is won in a shootout, give the winning team 3 points, and the losing team 2.

Now, if it was me, I'd ditch the shootout, and award 3 points for a win, and one to each team in a tie. The "bonus point", if you would, for a win might drive teams to go for it.

LvZYtbZ.png

One reason the NHL implemented the point for an OTL was because OT was boring as hell some games because both teams would just sit back and play for the tie.

So guarunteeing a point after 3 periods makes teams go for it more, and make OT a VERY exciting time (see: Saturday Canucks/Flames, or most Canucks games)

If we went to a W-L idea, it definately caters to the American audience who aren't avid hockey fans, but on the other hand, is taking out another hockey tradition (lack for a better word).

I think the last thing we need is to make the point distribution even more complicated or confusing for some, and stick to a basic 2 pts, 1 pt, 0 pts or win/loss.

Even 3pts is too much.

This topic was debated by Daren Pang and Pierre Maguire.

NHL Radio

If you don't want to hear the entire show, FF to the 22:30 minute mark.

I happen to agree with Pierre's take on it.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

One reason the NHL implemented the point for an OTL was because OT was boring as hell some games because both teams would just sit back and play for the tie.

So guarunteeing a point after 3 periods makes teams go for it more, and make OT a VERY exciting time (see: Saturday Canucks/Flames, or most Canucks games)

If we went to a W-L idea, it definately caters to the American audience who aren't avid hockey fans, but on the other hand, is taking out another hockey tradition (lack for a better word).

I think the last thing we need is to make the point distribution even more complicated or confusing for some, and stick to a basic 2 pts, 1 pt, 0 pts or win/loss.

Even 3pts is too much.

I see someone else is aware of the boring OT with teams playing for the tie.

it really did make for boring hockey--but now the OT loss single point isn't working.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Perhaps the NHL should adapt a college football-like tie-breaker....

After the 4-on-4, 5-minute OT period, have a hockey-like finish instead of the shootout. Each team would get a power-play possession....5 skaters against the defense's 4 plus the goalie. There's no "play clock", and the possession would end in three ways: a goal, the goalie freezing the puck in direct proxemity to the crease, or the defense clears the puck out of the defensive zone. If both teams are still tied, then each team gets a shot at a 5-on-3 PP possession for the remaining rounds.

Here's how they should do it. Each game a total of 3 points is awarded.

3- For a Regulation Win

2- Overtime/Shootout win

1- Overtime/Shootout Loss

0- For a Regulation Win.

It gives teams incentive to go for the regulation win has a reg. wins recieves more points than an overtime win. Makes for an exciting finish to regulation, especially late in the season where teams would need the points.

Wins. Losses. That's all.

A game lost in the 19th inning or triple overtime is just as lost as one in the 9th inning or regulation. I dunno why hockey still needs to do this "well you get a point too!' crap. That's for kids.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wins. Losses. That's all.

A game lost in the 19th inning or triple overtime is just as lost as one in the 9th inning or regulation. I dunno why hockey still needs to do this "well you get a point too!' crap. That's for kids.

The only problem is that the NHL has been using Ties (or at least the extra point scheme) since 1921. It's their tradition.

Also, nobody complains that the NFL has ties too. The only thing though is that they happen VERY infrequently.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Hockey has many great traditions. The octopus thrown on the Detroit ice. The Canadiens' sweater. The Leafs choking. I don't think throwing up your hands and saying "it's a tie! everybody wins!" is one of these great traditions of pro hockey.

Here's another idea. Go CBA-style, making a total game worth 5 points.

Each of the three periods is worth 1 point each. If Team A outscores Team B in the period, they get the point. If the teams each score, say, 2 goals in the period, the point is split: 1/2 goes to each.

The overall game is worth an additional 2 points, whether its decided in regulation, overtime or a shootout.

This would theoretically make every period its own little mini-game, and would encourage more scoring attempts, pulling goalies, etc., in the first and second periods to tie-up period scores.

nav-logo.png

Here's another idea. Go CBA-style, making a total game worth 5 points.

Each of the three periods is worth 1 point each. If Team A outscores Team B in the period, they get the point. If the teams each score, say, 2 goals in the period, the point is split: 1/2 goes to each.

The overall game is worth an additional 2 points, whether its decided in regulation, overtime or a shootout.

This would theoretically make every period its own little mini-game, and would encourage more scoring attempts, pulling goalies, etc., in the first and second periods to tie-up period scores.

How about you either win or lose the freaking game.

Archived