Goalies duke it out in AHL

ROCHitman

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Apparently, Howard was upset at the goal judge for allowing a goal that he obviusly thought was bogus. Sonn after, another fight broke out between skaters and Howard made his way to the bench where he started to taunt Leighton. I guess Jimmy wanted to go and Michael obliged.

I'm not sure what went through Leighton's head but the fact that he took Howard out of the game was super smart. GR was forced to insert Logan Koopmans who was making his first AHL appearnce just being called up from the ECHL. ROchester peppered him and went on to wint the game despite being whistled for 22 penalties and yielding 13 PP oppourtunities, 3 of which were 5 on 3's.

Edit:

From the Democrat & Chronicle today

By: Kevin O.

Michael Leighton says that when he picked a fight with Grand Rapids goalie Jimmy Howard late in the first period, he hadn't concocted any premeditated strategy to give the Rochester Americans a huge advantage for the rest of the game.

"Just a little frustration from this year," said Leighton, a perpetual fixture among AHL goalie leaders the previous four years until his troubles this season. "It just happened."

It just happened to be perhaps the biggest factor in the Amerks' 6-4 comeback victory on Sunday night over the Griffins, whose date for collection of the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy as regular season AHL champions was put on hold by the loss.

The goalie fight ? which became the main event after a 10-player scrum had broken out at center ice ? completely changed the complexion of the game at Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Referee Harry Dumas ejected both goalies.

The Amerks turned to Jean-Marc Pelletier, who played very well in the emergency role.

The Griffins were forced to use untested rookie Logan Koopmans, a callup from the ECHL. Making his AHL debut, he was not good.

The Amerks scored five times on just 18 shots against Koopmans and overcame 3-1 and 4-3 deficits for an ego-soothing win.

"It's great to beat the best team in the league," said rookie winger Clarke MacArthur, whose goal with 5:22 remaining gave the Amerks their first lead.

Kamil Kreps then provided clinching insurance with a goal two minutes later, sweeping in a Michael Ryan pass as Koopmans tried to fight through traffic.

With a 35-39-2-2 record overall and a 9-18-1-1 mark the past two months, the Amerks haven't had much to feel good about.

But the smiles in the dressing room afterward were deserved.

"It was not a conventional win but certainly one we can remember," coach Randy Cunneyworth said. "Guys stuck together."

Griffins coach Greg Ireland said the same thing, though he didn't want Howard trading punches. With Joey MacDonald possibly out for the season with recurring back troubles, the Griffins have no capable backup for a Calder Cup run.

"But what's Jimmy supposed to do, the guy skated down the ice and challenged him," Ireland said. "Maybe that's why our guy's in the playoffs and he's (Leighton) not."

Because of injuries, the Amerks started the game with only five defensemen, then lost Martin Tuma to an ejection for fighting during the brawl.

Right winger Mark Mancari, a defenseman in junior, moved to the blue line and was superb.

"It brought back some memories," said Mancari, who scored his 18th goal as a winger just before the brawl, then shifted positions and wasn't on the ice for a Grand Rapids goal. "Instead of thinking about scoring a goal, I was only worried about preventing them."

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

Good ol' Jimmy Howard, keeping the Red Wing tradition of goalie fighting alive. Well, I guess one fight with Patty Waaaah doesn't make it a tradition, but to see Patty get slammed by Shanny is a wonderful sight.

Good ol' Jimmy Howard, keeping the Red Wing tradition of goalie fighting alive. Well, I guess one fight with Patty Waaaah doesn't make it a tradition, but to see Patty get slammed by Shanny is a wonderful sight.

There was the Cujo-Tim Cheveldae (coulda been Vernon, but I don't think so) fight when Cujo was with the Blues.

You COULD say they have that tradition, but that'd still be a stretch.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

There was the Cujo-Tim Cheveldae (coulda been Vernon, but I don't think so) fight when Cujo was with the Blues.

You COULD say they have that tradition, but that'd still be a stretch.

You failed to mention the Roy follow-up brawl with then Red Wings netminder Vernon.

Ain't nothin wrong with a goalie fight :hockeysmiley: ...it's one of the few things I've never seen...I've seen goalies get involved with skaters a few times in Hartford, in Danbury, and even at MSG (saw Mike Richter get run into by Alexander Selivanov when he was with Edmonton, leading the normally docile Richter to start pummelling the bejeezus out of Espo's son-in-law :lol: ), but I've never seen two goalies start trading bombs other than on TV or on video clips.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Almost as good as the almost brawl at Islanders/Rangers. It was the 21st or 22nd (maybe a little later than that?) in September 2001, and it was a pre-season game. I wish i could find some pictures, but there were at least 3 to 5 fights going on at the same time, with everyone dropping their gloves at center ice.

Wish I could remember more, but hey, thats almost 5 years ago.

Goalie fighting though...man...there aren't any fights better. (in hockey)

A couple other ones I just thought of....

--Olie Kolzig & Byron Dafoe going at it a few months after one of them had been the best man at the other's wedding :lol:

--Dan Cloutier just absolutely beating the tar out of Tommy Salo

--An AHL one I remember...Neil Little of the Phantoms taking on Binghamton's Ray Emery (was part of one big rolling brawl that ended up seeing the game called early b/c both teams lacked enough players after it :lol: )

FANTASY TEAMS

You mean...

THIS ONE!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6737794296176513650

I love the way he challenges the Islanders bench afterwards. What a cocky buttwipe.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

You mean...

THIS ONE!

I love the way he challenges the Islanders bench afterwards. What a cocky buttwipe.

Dan the man, too bad he can't play goal as well as he fights...nah, he isn't that bad, but that was one heck of a fight.

You mean...

THIS ONE!

What always stuck with me about this fight was afterwords, MSG interviewed PJ Stock (aka "The Human Quote Machine" when he was on the Rangers...God I miss him not being in the NHL :lol: ) with his take on it....

"All of I sudden I saw this blue streak just go past me...I looked over and it was Danny. There must have been something wrong with his arm because it kept going up and down on Salo."

:lol:

:hockeysmiley:

FANTASY TEAMS

Archived