Adidas To Outfit the NBA

Cujo

Great, now every team in the NBA is going to have some kind of triple stripe worked into their uniforms.

Actually, if you read the article, it says the Adidas "three-stripe" trademark will only not be found on in-game uniforms, only on warm-ups, fan gear, and the sort.

"NBA warm-ups and practice gear will add the familiar adidas stripes. However, the adidas logo will not appear on the outside of any official jerseys"

If you lookat that picture of the handshake, every one of those uniforms has the adidas "mountain" logo on the jersey and the shorts.

That's because their probably the replicas sold to fans, not the authentic jerseys.

Great, now every team in the NBA is going to have some kind of triple stripe worked into their uniforms.

Actually, if you read the article, it says the Adidas "three-stripe" trademark will only not be found on in-game uniforms, only on warm-ups, fan gear, and the sort.

"NBA warm-ups and practice gear will add the familiar adidas stripes. However, the adidas logo will not appear on the outside of any official jerseys"

If you lookat that picture of the handshake, every one of those uniforms has the adidas "mountain" logo on the jersey and the shorts.

That's because their probably the replicas sold to fans, not the authentic jerseys.

Exactly. Just like Nike had its logo on the replica but not the authentics. Same with Reebok.

I wonder what this means for the new look Milwaukee Bucks in 06-07?

That would be cool if they were the inaugral adidad team, green and red with Adidas schemes could be cool. Like Mexico soccer gear kind of vibe. Perfect for Milwaukee.

My only gripe with adidas gear is that you can never find it anywhere in retail stores etc etc

I neverfind authentic Badgers gear in WI for hoops and adidas seems non-existent.

You should be able to find Bucks adidas gear next year because they will be the only major company selling it. Jerseys, hats, most t-shirts, etc. will have the adidas logo. The Bucks won't be the "inaugural" adidas team - it's not a team-by-team merchandising deal. I highly doubt you'll see huge adidas influences anywhere in new logos/jerseys.

A lot of people in this thread are linking adidas' trends in college sports to what happens in pro sports and using certainties as to what's going to happen. Don't.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Still. If anyone changes their unis they will get two styles to choose from and they will both look alike and have three stripes and all. At least Nike attempts on occasion to make their unis look different for their teams.

Actually, of the Adidas basketball uniforms I've seen used by colleges, none of them have a the 3-stripes in the design, only on the warm-ups do they appear.

Actually, adidas has gotten pretty good at hiding the 3 stripes in some of their designs - at least prior to the 2005/2006 basketball season.

If you look at Memphis' uniforms (and others that wear that style), there is a small section of the "3 stripes" near the bottom side of the shorts. For Memphis' home uniform, the black trim on the side design changes to a narrow black stripe on each side, and the blue center portion (that comes to a point kind of like Duke's design) continues on in a narrow blue stripe - yielding the 3-stripe pattern.

On the design Louisville wore in 2004/2005, there were inch-long 3 stripes in the lower part of the trim - I think the Cardinal head was on one side, and the stripes on the other side. However, there weren't any real 3 stripes on Louisville 2005/2006 design outside of the ones that appear on the adidas logo.

Kansas basketball has gotten away without having anything adidas on their uniform. In fact, the official game jerseys don't even have an adidas logo on them. Only the shorts do.

Kansas basketball has gotten away without having anything adidas on their uniform. In fact, the official game jerseys don't even have an adidas logo on them. Only the shorts do.

That's not just Kansas. No NCAA basketball team can have a Nike, adidas or any other logo on their jerseys, only on the shorts. Nike has tried to work ways around this by making their jersey's look very Nike specific, such as those stupid looking stripes on the shoulders of jersey's ala Kentucky, Florida and most SEC Nike schools.

Personally, I think that this could be a GOOD thing because of the way that Adidas works when it comes to clothing. They will use to history of some teams to make the warm up clothing stylish enough to be marketable to both the ghetto urban & eurotrash urban audiences. That's something that Reebok could never do. Also, the Marketing Strategy of Adidas is to be in every major Sport that reaches an International audience (Soccer, Rugby, Tennis and now Basketball) That's why they won't take the NFL contract away from Reebok.

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

Also, the Marketing Strategy of Adidas is to be in every major Sport that reaches an International audience (Soccer, Rugby, Tennis and now Basketball) That's why they won't take the NFL contract away from Reebok.

The NFL has an international audience.

*Buys as many Reebok jersies as possible*

I'm not a fan of the adidas

I'm going to guess that the swingmans and the replicas will not change, other than the logo. If you look at the Nike swingmans compared to the Reeboks, you'll notice that they are identical. Don't look for adidas to change that up too much.

Also, the Marketing Strategy of Adidas is to be in every major Sport that reaches an International audience (Soccer, Rugby, Tennis and now Basketball) That's why they won't take the NFL contract away from Reebok.

up to 1% of american football's audience resides out of the US and Canada

up to 1% of american football's audience resides out of the US and Canada

You got a link for that?

They will use to history of some teams to make the warm up clothing stylish enough to be marketable to both the ghetto urban & eurotrash urban audiences.

What does "eurotrash urban audiences" mean? :rolleyes:

chavs! :D

-----------

hmm. I'm surprised. I thought this would stay as reebok branded, because of the US ties. I guess they're hoping the NBA gets more of an international reach (which is why you'd want adidas to be tied in instead of supposedly america-centric reebok)....

seconding those who mentioned it already, the NBA doesn't allow manufacturer names on any of the team wear (note that that doesn't include shoes). LeBron can't wear even a Nike-swoosh'd headband for example. however, the NBA logo is all over the uniforms - including, yes, headbands and socks. league logo creep > corporate logo creep? interesting to think about.

and this would be bigger news if it were, say, going back to Nike, instead of to Reebok's corporate parent.

harperdc.gif

Still. If anyone changes their unis they will get two styles to choose from and they will both look alike and have three stripes and all. At least Nike attempts on occasion to make their unis look different for their teams.

Actually, of the Adidas basketball uniforms I've seen used by colleges, none of them have a the 3-stripes in the design, only on the warm-ups do they appear.

Actually, adidas has gotten pretty good at hiding the 3 stripes in some of their designs - at least prior to the 2005/2006 basketball season.

If you look at Memphis' uniforms (and others that wear that style), there is a small section of the "3 stripes" near the bottom side of the shorts. For Memphis' home uniform, the black trim on the side design changes to a narrow black stripe on each side, and the blue center portion (that comes to a point kind of like Duke's design) continues on in a narrow blue stripe - yielding the 3-stripe pattern.

On the design Louisville wore in 2004/2005, there were inch-long 3 stripes in the lower part of the trim - I think the Cardinal head was on one side, and the stripes on the other side. However, there weren't any real 3 stripes on Louisville 2005/2006 design outside of the ones that appear on the adidas logo.

Actually, I think that all Adidas basketball game jerseys are like that.

During Lebron's senior year at St. V's they had adidas jerseys with a three stripes on the shoulders. I think I remember hearing that he helped design them too. Anyone have pictures?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

During Lebron's senior year at St. V's they had adidas jerseys with a three stripes on the shoulders. I think I remember hearing that he helped design them too. Anyone have pictures?

Shoulder piping? Yes. 3-stripe adidas pattern, not so much.

6448749.jpghighschool3.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Shoulder piping? Yes. 3-stripe adidas pattern, not so much.

6448749.jpghighschool3.jpg

Must have been an earlier year then, maybe his junior year. Being in the Akron area and seeing him play since his freshman year gives me a memory of this jersey, so I do not think I am crazy. I think the one when they had the "SVM" intertwined logo on the front of the jersey. But all this is straying away from the topic, so nevermind really.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Archived