Adidas To Outfit the NBA

Cujo

NBA laces up Adidas for 11-year partnership

The NBA and shoe and apparel giant adidas announced an 11-year partnership early Tuesday in London that will make the brand the league's official uniform and apparel supplier.

The deal replaces the 10-year contract Reebok negotiated with the league in 2001, and sources peg its total value at more than the $200 million the previous partnership was worth.

Here's just a lil something I came across this morning on ESPN.com. It looks like since they bought out Reebok, Adidas will take over as official partners with and outfitters of the NBA.

6uXNWAo.png

Have adidas actually announced how they'll use the Reebok brand name post-merger? Given Reebok has a foothold in the US with major sporting leagues would they keep the Reebok name for now?

Might they use Reebok as their basketball brand and use adidas for football?

liverpool-1.png

Have adidas actually announced how they'll use the Reebok brand name post-merger? Given Reebok has a foothold in the US with major sporting leagues would they keep the Reebok name for now?

Might they use Reebok as their basketball brand and use adidas for football?

No, it's going to be Adidas brand and the "three-stripe" Adidas logo on all NBA gear for the next 11-years.

Here's a pic from the link:

nba_stamminger_275.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Great, now every team in the NBA is going to have some kind of triple stripe worked into their uniforms.

Actually, if you read the article, it says the Adidas "three-stripe" trademark will only not be found on in-game uniforms, only on warm-ups, fan gear, and the sort.

"NBA warm-ups and practice gear will add the familiar adidas stripes. However, the adidas logo will not appear on the outside of any official jerseys"

6uXNWAo.png

Still. If anyone changes their unis they will get two styles to choose from and they will both look alike and have three stripes and all. At least Nike attempts on occasion to make their unis look different for their teams.

I don't dig the North American leagues practices. MLS kits are standard adidas designs everyone can buy in a regular shop. NBA kits won't even have a logo.

I'm not a big Reebok fan, but well, will adidas keep the Reebok brand in something?

I would not be surprised if Adidas is the uniform brand, and Reebok is the footwear brand.

Is there a footwear brand in the NBA? Seems to me that most every player has their own shoe contract. This ain't college basketball...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Still. If anyone changes their unis they will get two styles to choose from and they will both look alike and have three stripes and all. At least Nike attempts on occasion to make their unis look different for their teams.

Actually, of the Adidas basketball uniforms I've seen used by colleges, none of them have a the 3-stripes in the design, only on the warm-ups do they appear.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Actually, of the Adidas basketball uniforms I've seen used by colleges, none of them have a the 3-stripes in the design, only on the warm-ups do they appear.

Actually, adidas has gotten pretty good at hiding the 3 stripes in some of their designs - at least prior to the 2005/2006 basketball season.

If you look at Memphis' uniforms (and others that wear that style), there is a small section of the "3 stripes" near the bottom side of the shorts. For Memphis' home uniform, the black trim on the side design changes to a narrow black stripe on each side, and the blue center portion (that comes to a point kind of like Duke's design) continues on in a narrow blue stripe - yielding the 3-stripe pattern.

On the design Louisville wore in 2004/2005, there were inch-long 3 stripes in the lower part of the trim - I think the Cardinal head was on one side, and the stripes on the other side. However, there weren't any real 3 stripes on Louisville 2005/2006 design outside of the ones that appear on the adidas logo.

I like Adidas better than Nike or Reebok so at least now the new unis will match my shoes :D

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't dig the North American leagues practices. MLS kits are standard adidas designs everyone can buy in a regular shop. NBA kits won't even have a logo.

I'm not a big Reebok fan, but well, will adidas keep the Reebok brand in something?

When Adidas bought Reebok last summer, the idea was to stil have different brands, since collectively, the company can mirrow Nike more. Reebok has a larger presence in the US and UK, while Adidas is larger in the rest of Europe and Asia. Adidas is to be seen as a performance sports line and Reebok as the "lifestyle" brand (with G-unit, S.Carter, and their fitness presence). Both will have to remain to be seen as an equal to Nike.

Great, now every team in the NBA is going to have some kind of triple stripe worked into their uniforms.

Actually, if you read the article, it says the Adidas "three-stripe" trademark will only not be found on in-game uniforms, only on warm-ups, fan gear, and the sort.

"NBA warm-ups and practice gear will add the familiar adidas stripes. However, the adidas logo will not appear on the outside of any official jerseys"

If you lookat that picture of the handshake, every one of those uniforms has the adidas "mountain" logo on the jersey and the shorts.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If you lookat that picture of the handshake, every one of those uniforms has the adidas "mountain" logo on the jersey and the shorts.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they will be on the game uniform. The Reebok logo is not on there, and the Nike and Champion logos weren't on there in the past as far as I can remember. To promote the partnership, it was a good idea to show the logo on the uniform, as the replica/swingman style will reflect that, and the merchandise purchased by the fans will reflect that.

spikes.jpg

I wonder what this means for the new look Milwaukee Bucks in 06-07?

That would be cool if they were the inaugral adidad team, green and red with Adidas schemes could be cool. Like Mexico soccer gear kind of vibe. Perfect for Milwaukee.

My only gripe with adidas gear is that you can never find it anywhere in retail stores etc etc

I neverfind authentic Badgers gear in WI for hoops and adidas seems non-existent.

They need to flood the marketplace and make it available. At least they may be able to inject some euro type style into NBA gear.

This pleases me. Hopefully this means the NBA Store will put the reebok merchandise on sale as they did when Reebok took over for Nike. Got a couple of nike authentic jerseys for like $70.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived