MLB Players in Stirrups

cranium

While I was at the Cubs game today watching the Reds shell Glendon Rusch, I was very pleased to see Juan Pierre sporting stirrups. Sorry, I don't have any pix. Any other MLB players wearing stirrups this year?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

...and Greg Maddux doesn't count, his are those ugly one-piece "stirrup-sox" that you often see on high school softball players. heh, we love ya anyway, Maddog :D

I can't remember if Zito still wears stirrups or not. I know he did at one time, though he may have switched to solid greens.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hey... what a coincidence. When I was at today's Cubs game, I noticed that No. 54 for Reds, Andy Abad, had his number on the back of his jersey, but not the front like the rest of his teammates. Doubt there will be any pictures of that either.

But, yes, I noticed the other day when watching from the bleachers that Pierre does indeed have real-deal stirrups. Nice throwback player -- wears the cap under the helmet, too.

EDIT: Corrected Adam Abad to Andy Abad (Sorry to butcher your friend's name, DGivens.)

Hey... what a coincidence. When I was at today's Cubs game, I noticed that No. 54 for Reds, Adam Abad, had his number on the back of his jersey, but not the front like the rest of his teammates. Doubt there will be any pictures of that either.

Interesting....I'm friends with Andy Abad, I'll have to ask him what the dilly...I'll try and find some pics of that myself.

I believe Junior Spivey was wearing the Cardinals striped stirrups in Spring Training. However, he had a rough time and ended up going down to AAA instead of getting the 2nd base job like everyone expected.

I bet he turns things around and ends up here in St. Louis within a month or so. If so, we'll get to see 'em.

I've noticed #55 for the A's wearing gin-yoo-wine stirrups. I think that may be Joe Blanton, but I'm too sleepy/intoxicated to look that up right now.

IMO, real stirrups should be mandatory for the Athletics. The green stirrup/yellow sanitary/white shoe combo makes for one of the most unique looks in baseball, and it should be played up. Take a page from the Charlie O. Finley playbook and offer bonuses to players who hike up their pants and wear their uniforms the way they were intended.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Jamie Moyer has always worn them, at least with the Mariners. And he even wears his pants 80s-early 90's style, not all the way to the pants, not hiked up to the knees, but just below the calf. Kind of looks like pants that would be too small for him anywhere other than on the diamond.

I personally love stirrups. It's been part of the baseball uniform for as long as anyone is alive, and it looks classy.

http://forum.shutterbug.com/photopost/data...-moyer-1868.JPG

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

stirrups suck and they look bad. I'm not for all long pants I personally think stirrups should be gone in favor of just solid color socks (Or ones with Cardinal type stripes if teams want).

I TOTALLY disagree.

Stirrups may no longer have a function on baseball uniforms, but they are a part of the baseball uniform look.

I would really like to see a return of the stirrup look in baseball. They just make baseball players look more like baseball players.

Stirrups may no longer have a function on baseball uniforms, but they are a part of the baseball uniform look.

They haven't been a functional part of the baseball uniform for about 80-90 years. At least since the textile manufactures came up witn dyes that were not poisonious and didn't run when they got wet.

I would really like to see a return of the stirrup look in baseball. They just make baseball players look more like baseball players.

I agree. There should be colors down there. Stirrups or solid colors, I don't care, just as long as they have them and not those hideous pants pulled all the way down so they look like sweatpants or workout pants.

DEATH TO THE LONG PANTS LOOK IN BASEBALL!!!

I think the White Sox should wear white socks. Throw some black and silver stripes on there to keep it interesting, but geez, wear the right stockings.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i was thinkin just now, about the two years I wore stirrups in football. I'd actually thought about wearin em baseball style, and looking back I should have for the hell of it. shoot, if they hadn't worn out I'd probably still have worn em when I got to varsity :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Brian Tallet was up with the Blue Jays at the beginning of the season while AJ Burnett was on the DL. He was wearing stirrups.

Couldn't find a pic of him playing for the Jays, but I saw him pitch against the Red Sox last week, stirrups and all. He even wears his pants kinda funky...I triedto post a pic, but no luck.

Archived