Worst Call in a Baseball Game?

nsentv

With ESPN obsessing over Jeremy Maier recently, what's the absolute worst call you've ever seen in a baseball game? For me, it would have to be the Maier incident, even though I didn't see it live. That call was atrocious.

(Cardinals/Royals Game 6 was before my time).

Heres something Jeffrey Maier is a pretty good D3 Player he could end up being drafted make it up to the majors and have a fan do the same thing to him. That would be wild.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

How about todays decision @ US Cingular to make the game official. Sox 6 Jays 4!! A lot of baseball to be played!!!

Hate it when rain delays go against you!

What's really messed up is that they had no business playing that game in the top of the 5th inning... as soon as the third out in the top of the 5th was made the game was called... lame

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

How about todays decision @ US Cingular to make the game official.  Sox 6 Jays 4!! A lot of baseball to be played!!!

What's really messed up is that they had no business playing that game in the top of the 5th inning... as soon as the third out in the top of the 5th was made the game was called... lame

More evidence that MLB doesnt want Canadian teams to suceed! First in 1994, now ending the game in the middle of a huge comeback! :P:rolleyes::flagcanada:

1zqy8ok.gif

No Question it was the Jeffrey Maier play. I remember watching the game and I could tell he reached over the fence as soon as it happened. They even showed the replay from the stupid ump's view and it was even easier to see that he reached over the fence. That call probably cost the O's a trip to the World Series. It would have been huge to go into Camden Yards with a 2-0 lead on the yanks. I have heard that he may get drafted. If any team does draft him I hope it is the O's. That way we could ruin his career.

How about todays decision @ US Cingular to make the game official.  Sox 6 Jays 4!! A lot of baseball to be played!!!

I will say that's something you rarely see in the Majors anymore, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the Jays only trip to Chicago this year? If so, it's probably the proper thing to do (unless in September the Jays are 1.5 back of the Sawx and Yanks)

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I will say that's something you rarely see in the Majors anymore, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the Jays only trip to Chicago this year? If so, it's probably the proper thing to do (unless in September the Jays are 1.5 back of the Sawx and Yanks)

It's never the proper thing to do... umpires shouldn't be looking at the schedule to determine if the weather is safe enough to play in.

If the game must be replayed in October for playoff purposes, so be it... if they have to hold a double header in Toronto instead of Chicago, so be it

---

Chris Creamer

I'm still bitter about the whole A.J. Pierzynski running after the 3rd strike thing, so I'll go with that. Not to mention Pierzynski's obvious catcher interference that went uncalled, not that Steve "I couldn't bat over .222 last year" Finley would've actually hit that ball anyways.

The Maier call was pretty ridiculous though. Maybe Tony tarrasco should've jumped a bit higher?

As an Oriole fan, the Maier call is definitely up there. I vaguely remember the 85 series, and replays show it wasn't even close, but the worst call I remember is pretty obscure for a world series. In 98, Tino Martinez took strike 3 right down the middle from Mark Langston and somehow it was called a ball. The next pitch was a grand slam. Man, I hate the Yankees.

If you can count the same person out twice, we had four outs that inning.

Devon White caught the ball, Terry Pendleton was on first and Deion Sanders on second. White caught the ball and Pendleton overlapped Sanders so that's one out.

Devon threw the ball to first and got Pendleton again and then the throw to me at third from Olerud and I tagged out Deion for the fourth out.

I probably should have thrown the ball to Manny Lee, but everytime you throw there is a chance that you'll throw it away or hit somebody, so I took matters into my own hands and it was probably a closer call that way.

---

Chris Creamer

I once played in a game where our guy was sliding into third, and the throw came in high from center field. The third baseman caught the ball up high away from the runner, and made no attempt to tag him as he slid. There was no force on the play either, but the ump call our guy out anyway.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

There's been tons of really obvious really bad calls during the regular season. I've said at least a couple of times in regards to plays during Cards game (calls that go both ways) that a call was worse than the Denkinger play if not for the stage the Denkinger call was on.

My vote goes to the Denkinger play simply because of the level it was on. Trust me, I understand the Cards should have kept cool and won that thing anyways, but regardless, that call was probably what changed the series from a Cards win to a Royals win. I still don't know that I can blame it on Denkinger, but he initiated it.

orta2.jpg

Archived