Marlins Name Change

rebelx

Please, Oakland is the 6th largest U.S market they can support two franchises.

And what this whole thread boils down to is regardless of whether South Florida fans stink, or whether the stadium stinks, it doesn't matter. Now that D.C has a baseball team, there are no more viable markets left.

If you can't make Miami, the 7th largest market work, you'll never make Portland (a 30% smaller market) or San Antonio (a 50% smaller market) work.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what this whole thread boils down to is regardless of whether South Florida fans stink, or whether the stadium stinks, it doesn't matter. Now that D.C has a baseball team, there are no more viable markets left.

On this we can agree.

But as the size of a market isn't any guarantee of success, so we cannot infer that the smaller markets will be automatically inferior.

I think it's really a question of population stability. Cities with changing populations (such as rapidly expanding markets) make, much more often than not, lousy sports cities.

I would take a slightly smaller market with a stable population. But, as you say, it's a rather moot point - there are no obvious new markets left for a baseball franchise.

The Bay Area is not big enough to support two franchises. In fact the only markets in the US capable of supporting two franchises in one sport are New York and Los Angeles, the Bay Area is neither.

Not true. It's certainly large enough for both the Giants and A's. Greater Chicago has nine million people, and with the Cubs fanbase that extends far beyond the tri-state area, it can certainly support both teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But its not just the Giants and the A's they have to support-they also have the Sharks, the 49ers, the Raiders, and the Warriors-the last two sharing the same city with the Athletics.

Also, Oakland gets called a "small market" all the time, hence the posterboy remark.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Some markets just don't like some sports.

MLB Baseball in Florida is like NFL Football in Los Angeles. Just like Atlanta, if you have too many transplants, you have a very hard time getting a team loyalty connection, as is the case in Florida...people just don't care ENOUGH...

Fred Gehrke

In fact the only markets in the US capable of supporting two franchises in one sport are New York and Los Angeles, the Bay Area is neither.

I am sure that the people of Chicago would dispute that claim.

It takes time for the fans to fall in love with a team. Do you think that we should all praise heaven that we have been given the gift of a baseball team.

I am sure that the people of Denver, Colorado would take exception to that statement.

It's a business, not a gift and it may take some time effort and investment to build a diehard fan base.

See above...

Contrary to belief, I am not arguing one way or the other. I am just stating facts and putting out the numbers for you to digest.

You do, however, keep producing evidence that supports and strengthens my argument.

For which I thank you. :D

(bow)

Some markets just don't like some sports.

MLB Baseball in Florida is like NFL Football in Los Angeles. Just like Atlanta, if you have too many transplants, you have a very hard time getting a team loyalty connection, as is the case in Florida...people just don't care ENOUGH...

If you are talking MLB, yes.

But for the NHL, thank goodness for the transplants.

How 'Bout the SA Sliders, Swing, or Vipers ?

Thank you for getting the thread back on topic.

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

I'll never understand that logic. The ol' people of South Florida just don't like baseball.

This is such a weak arguement conidering in 2005:

The Dolphins sold 575,000 tickets but not a sellout of the whole season

The Heat sold 818,000, and did sell out the whole season. But only 77% in 2004 pre-Shaq.

The Panthers sold 656,000 tickets or 86% of last season

The Marlins sold 1.8 million tickets, which obviously is only 63%, but it is just about equal to the other three sports combined.

So apparently the Miami market stinks for hockey and Shaq-less basketball as well.

Did anyone ever think that the market is too small to pull 3 million tickets, and that is really unrealistic in a city of 2.2 million?!

Let's put it this way -

It's not that the people of South Florida don't like baseball, it's that the people of South Florida like baseball less than 93% of other major league cities. :D

...other than Minnesota, K.C, Oakland and Pittsburgh as mentioned above.

What's your point? Ticket sales don't reflect that.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just getting the facts straight.

Let the team sell tickets to the 100 biggest companies (which the current lease does not, thank you John Henry) in the Tri County area and that'll improve attendance.

I've discussed the current situation down here to death so I'm not going to get it for the billionth time.

Anyways in about a month all this will be moot because the Marlins and Hialeah would have completed a stadium deal.

This team isn't going to SA. The Marlins have ignored Wolff since their trip to Houston and only made a follow-up visit last week (Samson didn't even go) because it was planned a month ago. The deadline he set will expire next week and if any of you have read the SA he's made it pretty obvious he has given up.

Lets trash Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland and Milwaukee fans because they are in the bottom 10 in league attendance!!! *plain face*

1997 | 2003

Archived