Official NHL playoff thread

Shane Does Art

That arena was so loud tonight it was uncomfortable wtahcing the game I cant imagine beinga Hurricane playing it. It was deafening especially after it was 2-1.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
question: why are the benches in Edmonton on the TV camera side? Why aren't they across the ice?

OK, I may be completely off base with this, but this is how I've heard it...

Once upon a time the NHL was resisting changes to putting ads on the dasher boards at arenas. In a compromise with teams looking for more revenue, they allowed ads to be placed on the bench side of the boards...but TV cameras had to be places on the bench side of the arena. When the NHL finally relented and allowed ads on the entire boards, the two Alberta teams were the only ones to keep the cameras on the bench side.*

*This sounded fishy to me until I watched some games on ESPN Classic involving the Flames and Oilers from HNIC. The rare occasions that a camera showed the bench side, it was adorned with ads, whilst the boards on the opposite side (the side you saw on TV) was empty.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear the real reason. This one makes sense (at least to me), but I can be convinced otherwise easily.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

question: why are the benches in Edmonton on the TV camera side? Why aren't they across the ice?

I actually kind of like that now you don't have to see Pierre McGuire's face everytime the puck goes through the neutral zone.

Well, THIS sets up an interesting scenario.

rams80 currently leads the pool with 32 points, and has Carolina to win. Yet he needs to root for Edmonton to win Game 6 to win the pool. If Carolina wins game 6, he's third. OMMF would be first and Shumway 2nd (OMMF sent a tiebreaker and Shumway didn't).

Meanwhile, HedleyLamarr finishes in 5th if Carolina wins this series, but 2nd if Edmonton wins the Cup.

LvZYtbZ.png

Unbelievable! Pisani Short-handed!

Game 6, Saturday night.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Bah, the first thing my coach taught me about passing is never float a pass where a defender can cut it off. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Game 6 here we come.

Most importantly, there will be some seriously ticked toddlers in Edmonton. Dora the Explorer will have to postpone its Saturday shows for Game 6! Oh the horror! :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Oilers will get this to Game 7 no way they lose at hoem with all taht support

I wouldn't say Edmonton would win for sure because Carolina did beat them in game 4 which was in Edmonton.

Well, THIS sets up an interesting scenario.

rams80 currently leads the pool with 32 points, and has Carolina to win. Yet he needs to root for Edmonton to win Game 6 to win the pool. If Carolina wins game 6, he's third. OMMF would be first and Shumway 2nd (OMMF sent a tiebreaker and Shumway didn't).

Meanwhile, HedleyLamarr finishes in 5th if Carolina wins this series, but 2nd if Edmonton wins the Cup.

Apart from all that, in which I like my chances, who wins if Edmonton wins out?

It was the 1942 Leafs, which was actually a 3-0 deficit (but which of course becomes a 3-1 and 3-2 deficit before coming back).

This series is reminding me, not of the 1994 Cup Finals, but more like the 2000 Cup Finals.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

All signs were pointing to a Carolina win in OT when Edmonton came out with all that pressure and didn't they hit the pipe too?

It always seems like when that happens, the other team comes down and scores against the flow of play. I was very surprized when the Oil finished them off after that.

The next game is going to be intense. The fans in Edmonton will be going nuts!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I was watching it with my dad and as soon as Stillman passed the puck I said "goal". I just got that feeling you get right before a goal gets scored. I said it before Pisani even intercepted it. but man that guy can finish.

so now it's back to crazy benches Edmonton for game 6. this series has been pretty good, even if it doesn't go the full seven.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Certainly an entertaining series. Both teams are playing well, and it's coming down to who makes the least mistakes. Carolina sure put on the pressure late in the third, but Markkanen is proving he can play with that pressure.

They're still in it :)

And Dora's show was put into another building, so there will not be any rioting 5 year olds this time...

And Dora's show was put into another building, so there will not be any rioting 5 year olds this time...

Well that's good to hear. I was only thinking of the safety of the players. Wouldn't want to see these players succumb to a horde of ankle biters. :)

This HAS to be one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile.

From Sportsnet.ca

'Canes cry foul over coin

Did Ryan Smyth mess with Carolina's mojo by digging up a coin buried at centre ice? Hurricane officials think so.

According to the News & Observer, Smyth used his skates to dig out of the ice the silver dollar that the RBC Center ice crew had buried at center ice back in February, leaving a divot where the puck would be dropped in Game 5.

Later that night Fernando Pisani would score a short-handed goal to give the Oilers life in the best-of-seven series.

"It was a rusted-up American coin," Smyth said. "It didn't seem very deep so I just thought somebody could trip on it. Obviously, they think it gave them luck."

Smyth is well-aware of the luck behind a buried coin, he was part of the gold medal winning team in Salt Lake City.

"I guess he needed it to buy dinner," RBC Center superintendent Donnie MacMillan said. MacMillan said he complained to the league about the damage to the ice, to no avail.

Man...that would be amazing if you could buy a dinner with an American Silver dollar these days... but its a shame no one accepts them and the most they can do is cover the cost of a pack of gum. Either way, Smyth is now cooler in my books after this stunt.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived