Purdue U. Football Throwback Uniforms

TruColor

Well, now Purdue has jumped on the throwback brigade...thank goodness these aren't permanent:

PurdueUThrowbacks.jpg

Uniform adds excitement to opener

By Tom Kubat

tkubat@journalandcourier.com

Purdue quarterback Curtis Painter wore No. 8 on his high school football jersey while playing for Lincoln High School in Vincennes.

It's just a coincidence that he now wears No. 12 for the Boilermakers and will be sporting the same number on his throwback jersey that All-American quarterback Bob Griese wore while leading Purdue to victory in the 1967 Rose Bowl.

"It's a huge honor to wear the same number as a great quarterback like him," Painter said Wednesday. "I like the uniform a lot. I like the sleeves; they're pretty comfortable. They look pretty sharp. It should be fun."

Painter modeled his throwback uniform during a news conference to announce that, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Purdue's first Rose Bowl team, this year's Boilermakers will wear 1966 replica uniforms for the Sept. 2 season and home opener against Indiana State.

While the Boilermakers usually wear black jerseys for home games, they will wear white jerseys against the Sycamores, since that's what Purdue wore 40 years ago in the Rose Bowl.

Members of the 1966 team have been invited back to campus that weekend and will be honored at a Friday night dinner and available for the fans to meet at a pregame tailgate.

"The idea of having a throwback day had been bouncing around Purdue for a couple of years but we never could find a hook," said Greg Christopher, associate athletic director. "It was Joe Tiller's idea to wear the white jerseys in Ross-Ade Stadium."

Coaches, managers and cheerleaders also will wear throwback outfits and the All-American Marching Band will perform 1966 music.

Leroy Keyes, a sophomore halfback-defensive back on the 1966 team who currently is an assistant director of the John Purdue Club, has fond memories of his Rose Bowl experience and is looking forward to visiting with his former teammates.

"You talk about being elated," Keyes said. "We were going to be the first to represent Purdue in Pasadena. You hear about and read about the Rose Bowl, but when you go into the stadium and have the opportunity to run on that field, it's like electricity running through your body."

Link: Uniform adds excitement to opener

OT: Pantone, I didn't know you were a J. J. Johnson fan. You play?

Trombone for 34 years, piano for 39 years. Bachelor's degree in Jazz Studies. Been playing professionally since I was 15 (28 years)...

I should be better than I am...

:P

I can play a mean ska beat on the drums, but can fake jazz if necessary. I'd also like to be in the CCJE.

On topic...so Purdue throwback is the exact same thing as Syracuse current? Wild.

team_web.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well, now Purdue has jumped on the throwback brigade...thank goodness these aren't permanent:

PurdueUThrowbacks.jpg

Uniform adds excitement to opener

By Tom Kubat

tkubat@journalandcourier.com

Purdue quarterback Curtis Painter wore No. 8 on his high school football jersey while playing for Lincoln High School in Vincennes.

It's just a coincidence that he now wears No. 12 for the Boilermakers and will be sporting the same number on his throwback jersey that All-American quarterback Bob Griese wore while leading Purdue to victory in the 1967 Rose Bowl.

"It's a huge honor to wear the same number as a great quarterback like him," Painter said Wednesday. "I like the uniform a lot. I like the sleeves; they're pretty comfortable. They look pretty sharp. It should be fun."

Painter modeled his throwback uniform during a news conference to announce that, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Purdue's first Rose Bowl team, this year's Boilermakers will wear 1966 replica uniforms for the Sept. 2 season and home opener against Indiana State.

While the Boilermakers usually wear black jerseys for home games, they will wear white jerseys against the Sycamores, since that's what Purdue wore 40 years ago in the Rose Bowl.

Members of the 1966 team have been invited back to campus that weekend and will be honored at a Friday night dinner and available for the fans to meet at a pregame tailgate.

"The idea of having a throwback day had been bouncing around Purdue for a couple of years but we never could find a hook," said Greg Christopher, associate athletic director. "It was Joe Tiller's idea to wear the white jerseys in Ross-Ade Stadium."

Coaches, managers and cheerleaders also will wear throwback outfits and the All-American Marching Band will perform 1966 music.

Leroy Keyes, a sophomore halfback-defensive back on the 1966 team who currently is an assistant director of the John Purdue Club, has fond memories of his Rose Bowl experience and is looking forward to visiting with his former teammates.

"You talk about being elated," Keyes said. "We were going to be the first to represent Purdue in Pasadena. You hear about and read about the Rose Bowl, but when you go into the stadium and have the opportunity to run on that field, it's like electricity running through your body."

Link: Uniform adds excitement to opener

The best thing about this throwback revival among NCAA football teams- the return of shoulder stripes! :D

SHOULDER STRIPES RULE!

...this year's Boilermakers will wear 1966 replica uniforms for the Sept. 2 season and home opener against Indiana State.

There's no mention, that I could find, of ISU doing anything with their uniforms for this game. I'd guess they'll be wearing these:

Naves.jpgBerman.jpg

ucnu112sig.png

So how many teams are wearing throwbacks next year. Off the top of my head I can think of Florida and Minnesota.

And in regards to the Syracuse Unis. Those were supposed to be "throwback-esque" and were modeled after the old cuse unis. So...yeah don't know where I was going with that.

Who else has throwbacks this year?

:grin:

While I definitely don't care for the helmet - I think the jersey looks great ! I think a modern version would be an upgrade over the current set. IMO - one of the best color combos is black and OLD gold - not vegas. Why oh why are so many teams ditching old gold and athletic gold for vegas gold?? Someone bring back that classic combo...can you hear me Saints ???

Is there really a difference between old gold and Vegas gold? This sounds like a job for PANTONE!

There are so many different shades of Gold that you can't really differentiate between just two, but typically, "Old Gold" is a metallic Gold, while "Vegas Gold" is a flat, non-metallic Beige.

For the most part.

coming from a graduate of an college in Indiana...based off of all the stuff I heard over four years...shouldn't a Purdue throwback uniform be a pair of overalls, John Deere hat, and a t-shirt...?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

coming from a graduate of an college in Indiana...based off of all the stuff I heard over four years...shouldn't a Purdue throwback uniform be a pair of overalls, John Deere hat, and a t-shirt...?

As someone who grew up in West Lafayette, Indiana, and as someone who has been attending Purdue sporting events since the late '60s:

Yep. Pretty much.

I immediately thought the uniform looked like UCLA's, substituting the black with blue.

And on someone else's note, if teams are wearing throwbacks, why would they not have replicas sold to consumers? Or at least auction off the game worn throwbacks?

Except for the helmet, I really think it's sharp-looking.

Agreed. Did Purdue really use something resembling Arial on their helmets that long ago? If they went with a more traditional/ "old school" number font, these'd be complete. Even with the helmets looking like they do, they're pretty cool. Give me UCLA-style shoulder stripes over colored side panels any day of the week.

OT: Where do we submit applications for the CCJE? (alto sax... keyboards... drums... and I played the bassoon for a year if that's something you'll need :P )

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived